Electric Cars in the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On a recent trip to the US, there was one vehicle left in the lot immediately available at Hertz, It was an EV.

When asked if I wanted it, I said absolutely no way..

I had not I idea I would cause this to happen.

Reactions: chico bill
Jan 9, 2004

Hertz is selling 20,000 EVs so it can buy more gas guzzlers​

All auto rental fleet buyers base purchases on residual value, i.e., what they believe the car will be worth when they go to sell it. Given Tesla lowered prices on its EV's 3 times in 2023, their residual value figures are/were way off.

Next, they did not properly account for maintenance/repair issues. When the vehicle gets into an accident of any significance, it is quite likely the entire battery pack (you cannot replace just one) has to be replaced. Batteries comprise a significant cost in building EV's.

Finally, they had a great idea...............they are just too early. They announced when they took on the Tesla that it would comprise 25% of its rental fleet. The renting public dictated just how wrong that idea was.

Perhaps someday.....................just not today.

And so the silver lining in all this is that EV prices both new and used have dropped considerably..........making the hunt for used EV's for a client in the DR much less expensive.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: slowmo and JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Electric vehicle owners report 80% more problems than with conventional cars and trucks amid ‘growing pains’ for the industry, Consumer Reports says​

Electric vehicles have proved far less reliable, on average, than gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs, according to the latest survey by Consumer Reports, which found that EVs from the 2021 through 2023 model years encountered nearly 80% more problems than did vehicles propelled by internal combustion engines.

Imagine having problems with your new Expensive EV getting fixed in the DR. Hard enough with gas vehicles here........................

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
On a recent trip to the US, there was one vehicle left in the lot immediately available at Hertz, It was an EV.

When asked if I wanted it, I said absolutely no way..

I had not I idea I would cause this to happen.
I'm sure the employees all recognized you as an "influencer".

I was asked by Budget to "upgrade to an EV" on a recent rental out of Sacramento Airport.
I said not on your life - I even elected the fuel fill-up-on-return fee and gladly drove a fossil fuel vehicle for 12 days.
And you would think in N. California there are a plethora of charging stations but the truth is they are sparce and you have to plan like Patton before you set our for battle to drive one.
My friend bought a Lucid Air (a nice EV) but he says it is inconvenient for anything not close to home in Chico, CA. 10

Reactions: XQT

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I,ve been spending all week in P.P. on business.

It will be a very long time in the DR before motorcycles, diesel pick-up's, and all other vehicles are replaced with EV's.
Vehicles are kept running and spewing black/gray smoke without maintenance, as in all poor countries.

Even the doctors are driving poser luxury cars, all with combustion engines.
Not one EV in the parking lot.

It may be coming, but first developed countries will have to cope and citizens able to afford costs of purchase and charging stations.
Not to forget millions living in high rise condos, or people who have only street parking.

Elections in the developed world, may produce elections of conservative governments.
Those governments will roll back overly ambitious carbon caps and manufacturing stops of combustion engines.
Citizens may stop going along with political dream worlds.

EV tech and renewable energy sources will continue to be developed and improved.
Most of the changes are happening by privately funded innovation, not government mandated.

In the meantime a combined EV and hybrid/combustion engine is the way.

Diesel for passenger cars should be discontinued.
In the EU there was and is a high percentage of passenger car diesel usage.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
lol If you want to see it, call 911 with a noise complain and see what happens. One of the characteristics of US cities is how quiet they are compared to cities in many other countries like the DR. The crackdown on noise is the reason for that since US cities were not always as quiet as they are now.

Have you seen that?

The same could be said particularly of neighborhoods in the USA with a high concentration of Dominicans. The question is why are these neighborhoods not as noisy as many places in the DR? That's like asking why many Dominican drivers do so in the US in ways that are different when they drive in the DR. They are the same person and an airplane ride doesn't change that.

Even in the DR there are mysteries such as how is it possible Dominicans act more orderly, don't throw garbage anywhere, etc once they enter the Santo Domingo Metro? These are the same people that throw garbage where they want outside the Santo Domingo Metro. If there wasn't something that changes the attitudes of Dominicans in certain places, things like acting more orderly in the SD Metro or driving differently in the US vs the DR or even the fact neighborhoods with a heavy Dominican concentration in the US are quieter than many neighborhoods in the DR. They are the same persons with the same mentality, no?
Your last comment may have to do with what people are allowed to get away with and the enforcement of laws,
With meaningful fines or vehicle confiscation.

No wonder frequent invisible speed bumps seem to be the only way of enforcement in the DR.
Including random holes in the asphalt.
In DR traffic people just do whatever they want, resulting into idiocy, danger and chaos.

Education and acceptable community standards may also have something to do with it.
Considering ones actions and their impact on others - consideration.

Does Your Electric Bike Sound Lame?​

As to cars, many owners have amplified exhaust systems molesting the public.
Only communities who strictly enforce decibel noise bylaws - or which have them are controlling noise.
Many jurisdictions do not have personal to do so, regular police work stretched thin.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Electric vehicle owners report 80% more problems than with conventional cars and trucks amid ‘growing pains’ for the industry, Consumer Reports says​

Electric vehicles have proved far less reliable, on average, than gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs, according to the latest survey by Consumer Reports, which found that EVs from the 2021 through 2023 model years encountered nearly 80% more problems than did vehicles propelled by internal combustion engines.

Imagine having problems with your new Expensive EV getting fixed in the DR. Hard enough with gas vehicles here........................

exactly

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hertz is offloading it's EVs because of high cost of repairs as well as low demand.
They are easily totaled in a side impact - that rules them out for DR. You think body shops can be trusted to replace your battery and tray and connections

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

US unveils stricter EV tax credit rules, effective April 18​

Will Dominicans buy cheaper Chinese EV's?

Jan 9, 2004

US unveils stricter EV tax credit rules, effective April 18​

Will Dominicans buy cheaper Chinese EV's?
Perhaps they will.

However, they would be wiser to import a used EV and structure it to take advantage of the 50% tax reduction for importing an EV....AND the $4,000 or 30% tax credit available in the US.

That is what my clients have been doing for the more than two dozen Nissan Leafs imported into the country. And since they are also bringing them in under a further tax reduction for a tourist project............this is an opportunity not to be missed.

Given used EV prices have drastically come down, they are now sourcing 2018 Nissan Leaf's that can be currently bought in the US in the 10-12k range.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

No one wants to buy used EVs and they’re piling up in weed-infested graveyards​

The shift away from cars with dirty combustion engines is running into a new hurdle: Drivers don’t want to buy used electric vehicles, and that’s undermining the market for new ones, too.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Another reason to think before buying an EV. This won't affect us in the DR, but it sure is affecting up North.

Cold temperatures bring headaches for electric vehicle owners in need of a charge​

WASHINGTON (TND) — Bitterly cold temperatures that have swept across America this week have brought headaches for electric vehicle owners to make their mileage range last or for those in need of a charge with instances of drivers being stranded or being stuck at charging stations without getting any juice.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Perhaps they will.

However, they would be wiser to import a used EV and structure it to take advantage of the 50% tax reduction for importing an EV....AND the $4,000 or 30% tax credit available in the US.

That is what my clients have been doing for the more than two dozen Nissan Leafs imported into the country. And since they are also bringing them in under a further tax reduction for a tourist project............this is an opportunity not to be missed.

Given used EV prices have drastically come down, they are now sourcing 2018 Nissan Leaf's that can be currently bought in the US in the 10-12k range.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I think after the severe cold up North and the failure of EVs to charge below a certain temperature many more will be on the market used.
Does the US give a credit for used EVs. Because that would be quite a scam selling friend to friend to friend and a big circle of $4K credits?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is a possibility some of the Hertz 20,000 may be dumped into the DR. The country at this point does not have the electric infrastructure to support a large amount of EV's. Buyers of EV's can learn a lesson from the Chicago storm incident, there were not enough charging stations available to charge dead batteries during a cold weather bomb.

Think again about bring EV's into the DR.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is a possibility some of the Hertz 20,000 may be dumped into the DR. The country at this point does not have the electric infrastructure to support a large amount of EV's. Buyers of EV's can learn a lesson from the Chicago storm incident, there were not enough charging stations available to charge dead batteries during a cold weather bomb.

Think again about bring EV's into the DR.

Regards,

PJT
I think that's a foregone conclusion. I'm sure there is no shortage of folks here who would love to be seen driving a Tesla.

Reactions: PJT