End of Temporary Protected Status could send 50,000 back to Haiti

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are a large percentage of people in Canada that are neither black or white. There is no such thing as too white a country or too black a country either.
Well not if you listen too the far left. Anyway the Haitians and Somalis won't be sent back. Canada needs to make them feel welcome or unelect Trudeau.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Trudeau is one of those people whose a*s can't cash the checks his mouth writes.
But he is going to look foolish sending any refugees out after he threw open the doors, so he won't - just add them to the social welfare system.

So the Haitians will stay, most speak French and may actually help improve Quebec - it's lacking color anyway - Canada is only 2.5% black - so it is definitely too white a country - time to open those refugee doors wider Oh Canada.

Yes, I agree and he will put the country in (more) debt by the time he leaves office. Remember his father was the same way. The years of Pierre Trudeau were not good for Canada despite his philanthropic efforts.

Haitians make a big contribution to Montreal's bottom line although most people will not want to recognize that and many are hard working. They own a lot of businesses in Montreal East and have for years. They are not all French-speaking but it is easier for them to gravitate towards French first rather than English. However, the educated ones have the anglais parlance just as well as anyone else.

Canada being white I have to disagree especially in the large cities. Have you been to Toronto lately? The Black population in Toronto and in Canada overall does not make a dent especially with the other foreign groups who have immigrated over the last ten years. Anyway this is not a colour issue, it's Haitian immigration issue and about saving face. Let's see what Canada does and if Trudeau lives up to his open door policy.

-MP.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Anyway this is not a colour issue, it's Haitian immigration issue and about saving face. Let's see what Canada does and if Trudeau lives up to his open door policy.

-MP.

Unfortunately it is always a color thing with Haitians, lets be honest - whether here in DR, the US or Canada. At least they aren't terrorists like many of the refugees flooding in.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Unfortunately it is always a color thing with Haitians, lets be honest - whether here in DR, the US or Canada. At least they aren't terrorists like many of the refugees flooding in.

In this situation, I don't think it is a colour issue. We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

-MP.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I know numerous Dominicans that have either residency or 10 year Visas that hate living in the USA and chose to live in the DR. The only thing they like is the money or the education for their children.

.....could never understand Dominicans attraction to places like ...NEW YORK CITY...and surrounding area, or Miami....have traveled all of the USA, ....NYC would be my last choice, also the most expensive....when I change planes in JFK airport....not even sure NYC is part of the USA............Doc.......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Definitely not a colour issue. I worked with numerous immigrants to Canada in the Military, from Haiti, Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast......etc. I don't belive Canadian Immigration looks at colour as a negative or a positive.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
.....could never understand Dominicans attraction to places like ...NEW YORK CITY...and surrounding area, or Miami....have traveled all of the USA, ....NYC would be my last choice, also the most expensive....when I change planes in JFK airport....not even sure NYC is part of the USA............Doc.......

Dominicans are attracted to NYC because there are a million other Dominicans there...you can find any number of salons and barberos..

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
In this situation, I don't think it is a colour issue. We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

-MP.
I agree. It’s not about colour, it’s about valid refugee status and the ability of Canada to absorb the best candidates through our vetting system. My only experience with Haitians is due to 12 winters in the DR. Most I’ve met are honest, hard working, and talented, especially those in the masonry trade. Canada has an aging population. The only demographic with a growing young population in Canada now is Aboriginals. We need young educated people from all cultures to fill jobs in all the professions. If we allow a percentage of Haitians to do that, I don’t have a problem with it. Those that are truly eligible will succeed through our vetting system. The Syrian refugee crisis was the last test of our vetting system. Of the 5000 admitted, all had sponsors, church’s, community groups, etc. Too my knowledge only one ot two were convicted of criminal activities after they were admitted. Proof to me that our system works. Vermont and Quebec share a border. Those Haitains that don’t qualify will be bussed back to US customs officials on the Vermont side. The majority of the Haitians under TPS are still a US problem. 

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Dominicans are attracted to NYC because there are a million other Dominicans there...you can find any number of salons and barberos..

As well as Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and across the pond in places such as Zürich, Geneva, Basel, Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia. Quite interesting indeed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As well as Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and across the pond in places such as Zürich, Geneva, Basel, Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia. Quite interesting indeed.

very true, but in far smaller numbers. the epicenter is Washington Heights, but if you go to the country of Guyana, and go to a little town way out in the outback , across the Berbice River, you will find Dominican girls working in a topless bar there.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
very true, but in far smaller numbers. the epicenter is Washington Heights, but if you go to the country of Guyana, and go to a little town way out in the outback , across the Berbice River, you will find Dominican girls working in a topless bar there.

I can assure you that I would not be found travelling across the Guyanese outback in search of a Canadian Ballet. How this relates to the topic at hand is beyond me.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Think what gorgon is saying, you can find Dominicana's
anywhere

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I suppose that any move to send these people back will be challenged in the courts and may take years to resolve and as Trump is seen by many as a one term President ,the actual repatriation may not take place.I think the first step must be to stop the population growth in Haiti in much the same way as was done in China . That will stabilise the situation. Then the next step is the reforestation of the country and this where I think the repatriated Haitians could help if a country could donate trees and hoses to water the plants .
I do not think the Haitians from the USA will come here to the DR unless by illegal means . I actually wonder what type of work these Haitians in the USA can do .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, I agree and he will put the country in (more) debt by the time he leaves office. Remember his father was the same way. The years of Pierre Trudeau were not good for Canada despite his philanthropic efforts.

Haitians make a big contribution to Montreal's bottom line although most people will not want to recognize that and many are hard working. They own a lot of businesses in Montreal East and have for years. They are not all French-speaking but it is easier for them to gravitate towards French first rather than English. However, the educated ones have the anglais parlance just as well as anyone else.

Canada being white I have to disagree especially in the large cities. Have you been to Toronto lately? The Black population in Toronto and in Canada overall does not make a dent especially with the other foreign groups who have immigrated over the last ten years. Anyway this is not a colour issue, it's Haitian immigration issue and about saving face. Let's see what Canada does and if Trudeau lives up to his open door policy.

-MP.

French is not really spoken in Montreal. I studied French for 8 years and could not understand the language spoken in Quebec. But I suppose it is close enough to what Haitians speak that they can understand enough to get buy versus English.

As for getting Haitians into Canada, have your heard the plight of the Canadian man in Puerto Plata trying to get a Haitian girl he has been taking care of for years in the DR into Canada?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Has anyone seen the USA government comment on what will happen to the children of these Haitians who were born in the USA?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suppose that any move to send these people back will be challenged in the courts and may take years to resolve and as Trump is seen by many as a one term President ,the actual repatriation may not take place.I think the first step must be to stop the population growth in Haiti in much the same way as was done in China . That will stabilise the situation. Then the next step is the reforestation of the country and this where I think the repatriated Haitians could help if a country could donate trees and hoses to water the plants .
I do not think the Haitians from the USA will come here to the DR unless by illegal means . I actually wonder what type of work these Haitians in the USA can do .

Perhaps Chinese investments can stabilize Haiti. They have also been discussed. That would be a first in recent history and I don't know of anyone that can reasonably expect that to happen. As far as stabilizing population growth in Haiti, how could that be done?

Haitians almost always enter the DR and stay illegally.

As far as Haitians being returned to Haiti, the term "temporary" must be considered in any legal challenge to their temporary protected status. Hard to imagine how courts could interpret the word temporary as permanent, but stranger things have happened.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Has anyone seen the USA government comment on what will happen to the children of these Haitians who were born in the USA?

As mentioned above, it will probably remain tied up within the judicial process for years to come, up until the children are of legal age to petition for their parents to remain in the US or Canada legally with them. Indeed, we shall see.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As mentioned above, it will probably remain tied up within the judicial process for years to come, up until the children are of legal age to petition for their parents to remain in the US or Canada legally with them. Indeed, we shall see.

Immigration reform is next. Petitioning for relatives, parents, siblings, etc, should be greatly reduced in priority and legal immigration for those with skills that allow them to be productive should have priority. We shall see.

You may not be aware that the mere birth of a child in North America does not guarantee the child nor their parents the right to live in the United States or Canada, at least not until the child reaches the age of majority. Put another way, the family can be and often is removed from the U.S. or Canada, even if they have a native born child, because they do not have lawful status in the country. Some time in the future, once the child becomes an adult, they will be able to return to the U.S. or Canada, but that is down the road. It does not prevent deportation now.

Once a citizen child reaches 21 in the case of the United States and 18 in the case of Canada, that child can return to North America and eventually sponsor their parents to legally immigrate to the country of citizenship. As for education in the meantime, unless the child can show legal guardianship or custody by a U.S. or Canadian citizen that would give them permission to reside in North America, they will not be able to study here, either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjs...ion-the-myth-of-the-anchor-baby/#7dd7497fe801

Last edited: