English Teaching Jobs Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

madi

Apr 7, 2005
Naufrago said:
People are asking about pay first thing, so I thought I would just add: The pay is well above what APEC was paying me ($RD120/hr). I can't speak for the boss, so it probably depends on your qualifications. He needs all different levels, and business degrees or background would be a major asset to the firm. I was a lawyer in NY, with a good deal of experience giving presentations and a little teaching experience. New teachers are fine, he's into the vibe and personality aspect of his teachers. If your interested it's definetly worth checking out.

Naufrago,

I was browsing through the forums (again) and saw that you were in NY. I was hoping I might pick your brain on inquiring how long you've been down there, how you made the move and how things have gone.

I currently reside in AZ, but lived for 6 yrs in GTMO, Cuba. My goal has always been to go back to the Caribbean and for several years have been reading the DR1 off and on, with desires of relocating.

Would you be interested in corresponding or possibly pointing me in the correct direction?

Thank you much for your time ~ Madison

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Hi Madi, Welcome to DR1, We're not suppose to change the subject of a Thread Topic (see DR1 RULES). I'm sending you a PM and we can talk there. ;)

madi said:
Naufrago,

I was browsing through the forums (again) and saw that you were in NY. I was hoping I might pick your brain on inquiring how long you've been down there, how you made the move and how things have gone.

I currently reside in AZ, but lived for 6 yrs in GTMO, Cuba. My goal has always been to go back to the Caribbean and for several years have been reading the DR1 off and on, with desires of relocating.

Would you be interested in corresponding or possibly pointing me in the correct direction?

Thank you much for your time ~ Madison

Beauty Ferguson

Apr 8, 2005
Received ESL Job Offer

I recently received a job offer to teach ESL there. The hours are 8 a.m. - 12 noon, Monday-Friday. The pay is approx. 36,000 pesos a month. My questions are will that salary be adequate enough to live decently? What are some of the expenses I should consider before accepting the job? I plan to call the school administrator back in a day or so to discuss the position. Do you have any suggestions on what I need to ask? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"TAKE IT!!!!!!!"

That is apox. 16 US Dollars per hour! Are you sure? That salary for teaching English is,at least for me,un-heard-of!
I think you can live just fine on that salary!

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
That's less than 1,300 dollars a month

Criss Colon said:
That is apox. 16 US Dollars per hour! Are you sure? That salary for teaching English is,at least for me,un-heard-of!
I think you can live just fine on that salary!

and I don't think that is sufficient to live on. In my opinion you need about 3 times that amount to live comfortably.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I suppose that's right

BigDaddy said:
and I don't think that is sufficient to live on. In my opinion you need about 3 times that amount to live comfortably.

if your idea of "comfortable" is nothing less than a luxury home in a gated community with a staff of servants.

RD 36,000/mth is at least 5 or 6 times the average Dominican's income. CC lives in SD, and says you can live fine on that salary. Naufrago is supporting a wife and 2 children in SD, and wants to know if they have openings there.

I know that we gringos are accustomed to certain ammenities, and are often charged more for the same thing, so it isn't realistic to think we can live comfortably on what Dominicans do. I think there's a middle ground.

Also, since the OP says her job hours will only be from 8 to 12, if she needs or wants a bit more, there is flexibility to look for a second income.

Susannah

Apr 9, 2005
Teaching in Dominican Republic

I'm definitely interested in a job teaching for over the summer. Is the company you work for located in Santo Domingo? I speak fluent Spanish and I'm from England. I've spent 6-7 months working in Santo Domingo in the past and would like to return this year in May/June.

Could you please send me some details to my e-mail on Susannah_Birkwood@hotmail.com

Thank you so much

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sweetdbt said:
RD 36,000/mth is at least 5 or 6 times the average Dominican's income. CC lives in SD, and says you can live fine on that salary. Naufrago is supporting a wife and 2 children in SD, and wants to know if they have openings there.
Neither said they can live on RD36,000. CC said that the OP "can live fine on that salary". (I don't know how any advice can be given without knowing the OP required as far as housing, car, etc). I think Naufrago was commenting on the hourly rate, not the ability to live on RD36,000.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
True, I don't know what your needs are but RD36K is a great part-time teaching salary. You're not gonna get rich teaching anywhere, but for that salary you won't starve or be homeless while checking out your options.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
To save some time and cut out the middle man, if you want to check out a good paying job teaching English: Call the Center for English Language and Acquisition CENLA (809) 547-2192, located in Arroyo Hondo, with classes around SD. Just getting so many PMs and I don't always get to them quick enough. Native speakers with an interest in teaching, no certification neccessary,short term positions available, 3-4 month cycles. ;)

Shooter

Apr 15, 2005
Hmmmm

This interests me a lot. I have been wanting to visit DR so I could network and things like that for business but a friend told me I wouldn't want to leave after just a weekend or week long stay. I didn't finish my college degree in Music but I was a US Army Counterintelligence Special Agent and am a Expert Rifle & Pistol marksman. I got out of the reserves in 2003. I thought of going overseas to train others on a contract,etc.This sounds better than being shot @ in Iraq! I am currently a Licensed Realtor in Florida where I focus on Luxury RE and commercial property. Do you think someone with my background could teach English in DR? Even though I have a strong NY accent my English and grammar is very good. My spanish is Basic but I'm working on it and something like this would allow me to immerse myself. With my background I would think I could teach army officers or Police investigators in related subjects. What are my chances?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Shooter said:
Even though I have a strong NY accent my English and grammar is very good. My spanish is Basic but I'm working on it and something like this would allow me to immerse myself. What are my chances?

I don't think the NY accent would be a problem and there's no need to speak spanish for this job. The networking is great as we are teaching to professionals and business leaders in all kinds of fields. Chances are good, give us a call. ;)

Enverswife

Jan 12, 2005
Planning to move to DR ( Santo Domingo)

Naufrago said:
I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.

I am intersed in getting the information for the company you work for. I have a Degree in Social Science and Humanities, and experience tutouring in the topic of English grammar and synatx as well as writing skills. I am Bi-lingual and also ready to move to DR hopefully this summer, I will definatly be there in July-Sept and hope that if I am made a decent offer of employment that will stay and not return to NYC. Please email me Rcalexi@aol.com

Rex23

Jun 7, 2005
Kenny Ross

Naufrago said:
I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.

Hello. I'm a spanish language student from New Jersey and I'm looking to study abroad in the Dominican Republic. So yes I would like to know more about this method. Thank you.[/B] My email address is kgr1204@yahoo.com

Rex23

Jun 7, 2005
Student

Naufrago said:
Yes my name is Kenny. I'm from New Jersey and I would like some more info about this.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Have you ever thought about opening a school in Puerto Plata?

Naufrago said:
To save some time and cut out the middle man, if you want to check out a good paying job teaching English: Call the Center for English Language and Acquisition CENLA (809) 547-2192, located in Arroyo Hondo, with classes around SD. Just getting so many PMs and I don't always get to them quick enough. Native speakers with an interest in teaching, no certification neccessary,short term positions available, 3-4 month cycles. ;)

gudz

Jul 9, 2005
looking for more info

[Originally Posted by Naufrago
I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.]

**Hey I am just looking for some more information on teaching in Santo Domingo....anything would be great~

Amanda G.

jodyroll

Jul 17, 2005
Hello. Someone sent this link to me but they did say it was from a while ago. I am from Canada and I am very interested in working in the DR. I would love to teach English but I do not have a certificate. Any ideas or suggestions. I am very willing to learn and would love the opportunity to help out.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jodyroll said:
Hello. Someone sent this link to me but they did say it was from a while ago. I am from Canada and I am very interested in working in the DR. I would love to teach English but I do not have a certificate. Any ideas or suggestions. I am very willing to learn and would love the opportunity to help out.
You should send Naufrago a PM as requested in the initial posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.