English Teaching Jobs Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

keybo55

Jul 19, 2005
looking for work

hey whats up..new to the site but im looking to work/live in the DR...i was wondering if you could help me out..i could send you my resume if you like...let me know, thanks alot

Naufrago said:
In response to some common PMs I've been getting. Yes, we still need teachers now more than ever. The office is in Arroyo Hondo, with many teaching locations nearby in nice areas, e.g. Acropolis, Anacoana, professionals and managers, great students. Most of the students are reasonably fluent, so we just discuss business topics in English, work on pronunciation, and business vocabulary. PM me ASAP, its not hard work, and I've really been learning a lot about this country and its business just interacting with these people. :glasses:

jodyroll

Jul 17, 2005
Naufrago said:
In response to some common PMs I've been getting. Yes, we still need teachers now more than ever. The office is in Arroyo Hondo, with many teaching locations nearby in nice areas, e.g. Acropolis, Anacoana, professionals and managers, great students. Most of the students are reasonably fluent, so we just discuss business topics in English, work on pronunciation, and business vocabulary. PM me ASAP, its not hard work, and I've really been learning a lot about this country and its business just interacting with these people. :glasses:

Hi there. I have been searching for English teaching jobs all over but I am having issues. I currently live in Canada and work for a large oil and gas company. I would love to come and teach english but I do not have a certificate. I have heard great things about Santo Domingo and the Dominican people. I would love to help. Please consider.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why not get a certificate? It's not that hard, and it would allow you to volunteer or work part time in your community for experience. When you make the move to the DR you will be one step ahead of the crowd; you will have a certificate and experience.

joser

Mar 29, 2006
Hi, I am a Canadian ESL teacher and I have only 1 year experience teaching English. I have a college diploma in TESL and I am having a hard time finding a good position in SD. Heres how my interviews went:

The American School of Santo Domingo - 24,000 monthly no housing no visa
told me to email them in March and never responded.

Instututo (I think it was Dominicano Americano, something like that)- 2$ per hour, no visa no housing no medical (They wanted me right away but the pay is to low)

New Horizons- 24,000 monthly including shared accomodations (said that they would call me, never did)

School of Carol morgan- told me their other applicants had higher education than I, so forget about it

Now, does any one have any suggestions where I would have any luck
with my experience and education?
I prefered sharred accomodations, visa airfare and at least 24,000 pesos.
Does anyone know of anything close to that being offered in SD?

Thanks for your help
josie

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Waiting for Info

Naufrago said:
People are asking about pay first thing, so I thought I would just add: The pay is well above what APEC was paying me ($RD120/hr). I can't speak for the boss, so it probably depends on your qualifications. He needs all different levels, and business degrees or background would be a major asset to the firm. I was a lawyer in NY, with a good deal of experience giving presentations and a little teaching experience. New teachers are fine, he's into the vibe and personality aspect of his teachers. If your interested it's definetly worth checking out.
Hi Naufrago,
I know you've probably received a lot of responses to your post, but I sent you a PM and hadn't heard back from you. Can you please send me details on the teaching positions? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
Ambre

judy

Apr 29, 2006
Hi, I'm Judy. I am right now a Long Term Care Aide. I know that any nursing field is not highly paid, so I am planning to take a ESL course in Sept 06. My financee and I plan to move there within the next two to three years. He is a mechanic. What is your opinion of the jobs there and where. Thank you for your time. Judy

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Is it true that the starter of this thread shipwrecked years ago off the coast of Sumatra?

-

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Mirador said:
Is it true that the starter of this thread shipwrecked years ago off the coast of Sumatra?

-
Actually it was a small uncharted island just east of Vanuatu, but again it was by choice, I jumped ship when we were at anchor. The Kava was cheap, and the women intoxicating...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just checked my PMs after about a year away from the board. Too many to answer individually. It's all been said before. Come here first. Unless you're a certified teacher and looking for a gig at Carol Morgan (then I understand it's better to be hired first). When you get here call Cenla, Progressive, Dominico, APEC or any other lead you may have (research this board). I found the best way to get a raise is by getting experience and switching companies, they will compete for you. Be prepared to have a terrible time and go home packing in about 3 months.

hansome62

Sep 26, 2007
looking for a job

Hello My name is David

I have reviewed your e-mail, I was wondering what other qualifications would they except. I just recently got laid off by a large financial company in the USA. I have an Associate Degree in business, BS in liberal Arts and currently working on a master Degree in Criminal Justice online which will be completed by may 08. I have a lot of experience working various people and companies.

arubanjoy

Oct 12, 2007
To save some time and cut out the middle man, if you want to check out a good paying job teaching English: Call the Center for English Language and Acquisition CENLA (809) 547-2192, located in Arroyo Hondo, with classes around SD. Just getting so many PMs and I don't always get to them quick enough. Native speakers with an interest in teaching, no certification neccessary,short term positions available, 3-4 month cycles. ;)
Hi Naufrago, Still looking for English teachers without a teacher's degree? I am in the business world live in Aruba, speak fluent English, Spanish, Dutch, Papiamento spoken only in Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles, and enough French. I am an accountant and have experience teaching English and Accounting. My e-mail is pognose@hotmail.com if you are still looking for teachers.

melly196804

Mar 26, 2008
Looking for a teaching job

I am moving to the Dominican Republic and am looking for a teaching job. I want to know if anyone has any suggestions. I am a currently teaching english, math, science, and history to a group of tenth graders in Philadelphia. I would like to move there with my family. I have been looking online, but have really not found anything. Will someone please advice. Where do I begin?

melly196804

Mar 26, 2008
Hi, are they still looking for teachers? I am moving down to D.R. and am searching for a teaching job, please let me know if you have any ideas.

Cafe Noir

Jun 22, 2009
Interested In Teaching Positions

I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.

Dear Naufrago, Please send me information about teaching in Santo Domingo at your company. I am a teacher for profession and have worked in education the past 20 years or so. I am from New York City and a native English speaker. Recently completed CELTA training. Thanks for your posting and assistance, I anticipate your response. Kindest regards, Cafe Noir

Cafe Noir

Jun 22, 2009
Interested In Teaching Positions

I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.

Dear Naufrago,

Thank you for your information. I have worked in education for 20 years, 10 in teaching adults and adolescents; a native English speaker; hold a master's degree in Adult and Continuing Education; and recently completed CELTA certification. If you have and advice on teaching in the Samana Penninsula, it would be greatfully appreciated! Please reply to ddavis_nyc@hotmail.com Thank you again for your help and hoping all's well with you! Cafe Noir

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is a very old thread. You could send Naufrago a Private Message but he left the DR several years ago and will probably not be checking his PMs.

He did provide a local contact in post 31 but it may be out of date. Also read through other posts for additional suggestions for local contacts like APEC.

I'm closing this thread to avoid further misunderstandings.

Status
Not open for further replies.