Famous Dominicans

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
New Add-on list Updated

So far so good.

Ilka Payan...HIV/AID activist.
Guillermo Linares.....Politician
Dania Ramirez......Actress(X-men, Fat Albert, Illegal Tender, The Last stand)
Zoe Saldana.....Actress(Center Stage,Drumline,Crossroads,Pirates of the caribbean
Julian Javier........Baseball player
Rudy Hernandez....Baseball Player
Cesar Geronimo....Baseball Player
Rico Carty.......Baseball Player
Tony Fernandez...(Baseball player)
Many Mota....(Baseball player)
Victor Rasuk.....Actor(stopLoss)
Manny Perez...Actor(El Cantante)

aross

Nov 15, 2007
A few more baseball players from the late 80's to early 90's that I used to watch play for my favorite team, Toronto Blue Jays at the CNE Stadium and the Skydome.

Nelson Liriano - Born Puerto Plata
Junior Felix - Born Laguna Salada
Manny Lee - Born San Pedro de Marcoris
Juan Guzman - Born Santo Domingo

Playing for the NY Giants, Ozzie Virgil - Born Monte Cristi,

I remembered the above 5 then searched out the following trivia:

I won't list them all for points, but did you know there have been 468 players in the majors that were born in the DR

Did you know that the first DR player to debut in the majors was Ozzie Virgil with the NY Giants in 1956. And the second was Felipe Alou in 1958

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
A few more baseball players from the late 80's to early 90's that I used to watch play for my favorite team, Toronto Blue Jays at the CNE Stadium and the Skydome.

Nelson Liriano - Born Puerto Plata
Junior Felix - Born Laguna Salada
Manny Lee - Born San Pedro de Marcoris
Juan Guzman - Born Santo Domingo

Playing for the NY Giants, Ozzie Virgil - Born Monte Cristi,

I remembered the above 5 then searched out the following trivia:

I won't list them all for points, but did you know there have been 468 players in the majors that were born in the DR

Did you know that the first DR player to debut in the majors was Ozzie Virgil with the NY Giants in 1956. And the second was Felipe Alou in 1958

Thanks aross, great info
I am very sure many did not know.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Updated add on list

Ilka Payan...HIV/AID activist.
Guillermo Linares.....Politician
Dania Ramirez......Actress(X-men, Fat Albert, Illegal Tender, The Last stand)
Zoe Saldana.....Actress(Center Stage,Drumline,Crossroads,Pirates of the caribbean
Julian Javier........Baseball player
Rudy Hernandez....Baseball Player
Cesar Geronimo....Baseball Player
Rico Carty.......Baseball Player
Tony Fernandez...(Baseball player)
Many Mota....(Baseball player)
Victor Rasuk.....Actor(stopLoss)
Manny Perez...Actor(El Cantante)
Nelson Liriano - Born Puerto Plata... baseball
Junior Felix - Born Laguna Salada...baseball
Manny Lee - Born San Pedro de Marcoris...baseball
Juan Guzman - Born Santo Domingo....baseball
fabulous......African American-Dominican Rap hits(Breathe,so into you, you make me betr
Nelson De La Rosa........Guiness book(smallest man) actor
Kat Deluna .........Singer...hits (run the show, Wineup)
Juelz Santana.......African American Dominican rapper.
Ozzy Virgil...........baseball

going great

travelsalot

Jun 13, 2008
Okay so here is one,

actually he is not dominican but plays a significant part in Dominican history.

Jesus de Galindez

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Dude I am surprised that you have not mentioned Rafael Campos. Was in American films back in the 50's. One of the first Dominicans actors to brake into the American market. Starred in films that were not the lollypop types but dramas with serious social messages. Rubbed shoulders with the likes of Sidney Pontier, Glen Ford, Jeans Simmons etc etc.:cheeky:

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Dude I am surprised that you have not mentioned Rafael Campos. Was in American films back in the 50's. One of the first Dominicans actors to brake into the American market. Starred in films that were not the lollypop types but dramas with serious social messages. Rubbed shoulders with the likes of Sidney Pontier, Glen Ford, Jeans Simmons etc etc.:cheeky:

Rafael Campos moved from the Dominican Republic to New York City at the age of fourteen. After appearing in a handful of Spanish-language plays, Campos rose to fame portraying troubled Hispanic youths in such films as The Blackboard Jungle (1955), Trial (1955) and Dino (1957). His gift for comedy was seldom touched upon, save for his role as a college-bound busboy in 1957's This Could Be the Night. Campos both acted and directed on the New York stage, making his Broadway debut in Infidel Caesar. He also essayed important roles in the TV series Rhoda (as Ramon Diaz Jr.) and Centennial (as Nacho) and wrote articles for Manhattan-based Spanish publications. Rafael Campo's last film was 1985's Fever Pitch, directed by his Blackboard Jungle mentor Richard Brooks. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

He died young at 49

Is this him?
Rafael Campos (1) :: General Info :: Biography :: TV Cast/Crew Credits :: Pictures