Finally Moving to DR

FarmerNunez

Dec 10, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Ke lo ke mi gente!

I remember growing up in NYC and discovering DR1, I used to have a different screen name etc... It has been a lifelong dream to move to DR, since I was a child. I'm at a place in my life where I can afford to do it soooooooooo as the title suggests I will be relocating to the Dominican Republic from Atlanta, GA in a few weeks!!!!!! I almost cannot believe it is happening, I still don't believe it and think something is going to come up and ruin my plans haha...

My mother & father left DR after the civil war in 1965 and never looked back. I was born in NYC but speak Spanish as my first language. The wife and I arrive first followed by our two boys a few weeks later. My degrees are in Computer Science and Agronomy/Horticulture/Organics, I know that is a weird mix. I am a "country boy" at heart and my long-term ambitions involve land, animal husbandry, and organic agriculture/production. For work, I am an IT professional making an excellent salary that I can do remotely from there in addition to my organic farming business endeavors here in the US.

My post is geared more toward culture, safety tips, countryside getaways, and ABOVE ALL ELSE: We would love to make a few friends on here who are also USA transplants in DR? Especially anyone living in the Santo Domingo area but we have family in Santiago, La Vega, and Puerto Plata that we can easily drive to. I am 39 and my wife is 21, our 2 bots are 2 and 3 respectively.

My aunt lives in Santo Domingo, Arrollo Hondo (the original old one), on Jose Delio Guzman off of Camino Chiquito only a few blocks from Club Arroyo Ondo and the Gardin Botanico. For the first few days or weeks, we plan to stay there while we explore the capital and surrounding area. We plan to acclimate to DR life and very quickly begin exploring the countryside.

I hope this post is not too long and of course, any information and/or anyone's opinion is greatly appreciated!

Pierre & Airelyce Núñez

Last edited by a moderator:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Welcome. My best advice would be don't drive on Sundays after dark. It's pure mayhem. Think drinking and driving as a sport where there are no clear winners.
And rent before you buy.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hola Pierre, welcome to paradise. I'm sure that you will love living here. It is a nice life. But you mentioned saftey and in your post you have shared your income, a location and rough arrival time. Too much info for a public forum. Stay safe!!
NCD
@FarmerNunez

I totally agree with NCD here. Ask a mod to edit your post to delete your income or anything like that. Lurkers could use that info in a bad way

Reactions: melphis

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
"Rent before you buy" is excellent advice (says the fellow who bought a home before his 2 week vacation was half over. 20+ years ago; no regrets.)

Probably the tapon that Santo Domingo has become wasn't a feature in your dreams of life in the DR. Pay attention to traffic, even before renting.

Here are a couple of places to escape in Las Galeras, 35 km past Samaná on the NE coast:

Welcome!

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Well Farmer Nunez,
You appear to be well educated and financially comfortable which should soothe your way.
" For work, I am an IT professional making an excellent salary that I can do remotely from there in addition to my organic farming business endeavors here in the US."

The real question is, are you running on dreams and will you be capable to adjust to the reality of DR life?
You are coming from a first world country to a "developing" country, to be polite.
It is nice to have family history and connections.

Time will tell if your first world experiences and lifestyle, will make you enjoy Dominican life.
Your Dominican roots and language proficiency will be helpful.
There is no institution in the DR which will equal educational opportunities of the US, nor professional or income opportunities of the US
For your children.

Your feelings when in the DR will show you the way.
Do it and you will know if reality matches your dreams.

Ke lo ke mi jente......
Don't forget here you are talking largely to gringos mostly US, some Canadians and EU.
Imagine.... there are some proud, free and brave US caucasians, who have become DR citizens with all the benefits that entails.
They now indeed are your jente.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Ke lo ke mi jente......
Don't forget here you are talking largely to gringos mostly US, some Canadians and EU.
Imagine.... there are some proud, free and brave US caucasians, who have become DR citizens with all the benefits that entails.
They now indeed are your jente.
Well said XQT. Curious as to "all the benefits" that you mention. What are they other than not needing to go to the hell hole of SD?

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Well said XQT. Curious as to "all the benefits" that you mention. What are they other than not needing to go to the hell hole of SD?
Mark it down to sarcasm for the overly proud people.

Those who still go to the US frequently, those who get their operations done in the US, those who spend a lot of their time on dr1 writing english
op ed's, yet laude the great benefits of being a DOM citizen,
However complain about the DR inefficiencies, as if they would expect US performance, by miracle when they become citizens.
Obviously anyone who has spend a few years here, knows what they are dealing with and has to accept these conditions.

Don't get me wrong.
If someone lives here full time (which most, even Dominican posters do not) runs a business, has extensive investments and drives
It is a good idea to have residency or be a citizen.

Snow birds and six months stayers can skirt the legalities, as the procedure of residency is ridiculously complicated.
Don't worry, pay your fee as you leave!
Act like a Dominican.

Residency designed by Dominican government and a continued tax collection.
A fast and streamlined procedure with a one time application and full time residency after approval would motivate many to do so.
It will not happen because we are dealing with Dominicans.

Yet there are reasons why most frequently return to the US and keep their ties including medical.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Overly proud? duley noted, never served.! I know it's a crazy concept. some people do not do things or think like you.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Great post. always wondered why so many old farts from the US would do that.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Great post. always wondered why so many old farts from the US would do that.
I meant to say....and give up their medical care. Doesn't make sense to me. Citizenship in the DR represents cutting the tie to medicare...doesn't it?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Absolutely not.
Well then I have been misinformed or mis-read the manual. Perhaps my writing "cutting the ties" is incorrect. I am under the impression that if you live out of the country (USA) and declare that by not having your principal residence in the USA, you get Part A only which is free . However, the critical parts of the coverage are not covered IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE USA. In fact, as an example, you can not pay and receive prescriptions coverage unless you declare in which US state you reside.I changed my residency in the states (moved south) and after a few months they cut me off as I was receiving meds from outside my state of residency. Took me about 3 hours on the phone but it was resolved.

If I am wrong in what I stated above I would greatly appreciate a response from the members. TIA.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The only way to lose Medicare benefits in regard to citizenship is if you renounce your US citizenship. Medicare prescription plans vary from state to state so changing to another state would affect the prescription plan portion.

Reactions: windeguy and colmcb