Finally Moving to DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The only way to lose Medicare benefits in regard to citizenship is if you renounce your US citizenship. Medicare prescription plans vary from state to state so changing to another state would affect the prescription plan portion.
So who accepts Medicare Insurance in the DR??

Jan 9, 2004
Could the reason be that Medicare won't pay out a claim because there are no benefits IF you live outside of the USA?

Medicare will pay for claims outside the US in very very limited circumstances……..none of which are applicable to the DR.

Your option is to have a Medicare Supplement policy…..so called-Part C. Mine will cover me for emergency and or urgent care while outside of the US for a period of 6 months. After 6 months outside of the US, coverage will be denied. So the workaround would seem to be to travel back the US so the 6 month time frame resets. And adding further, I am required to have a US address in the applicable plans coverage area.

Note that the plan will not cover me for routine care, and any emergency or urgent care I do receive in the DR, and will require me to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So who accepts Medicare Insurance in the DR??
Nobody. Coverage is paid for care in the US or in very limited circumstances were a Canadian or Mexican hospital might be closer than a USA hospital,
otherwise no coverage OUTSIDE the USA.
Honestly no one that I know of.
Because there is no Medicare coverage in the DR .
Could the reason be that Medicare won't pay out a claim because there are no benefits IF you live outside of the USA?
Nope. it is because there is no coverage in foreign countries except very limited situations as mentioned. Certainly no coverage for treatment in the DR with arrangements for the health provider to be paid from a Medicare plan directly.

Reactions: Gadfly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Snow birds and six months stayers can skirt the legalities, as the procedure of residency is ridiculously complicated.
Don't worry, pay your fee as you leave!
Act like a Dominican.
It is a fine for overstaying a tourist card illegally.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Medicare generally does not cover health services outside the United States. If you move outside the United States:

• Medicare Part A (hospital insurance), is available to you if you return. No monthly premium is withheld from your Social Security benefit payment for this protection.
  • You can continue paying for your Part B benefits or drop them while out of the country.
Since Medicare benefits are available only in the United States, it may not be to your advantage to pay the premium for Part B medical insurance if you will be out of the United States for a long period of time. But be aware that when you return and sign up for Part B, your premium will be 10% higher for each 12-month period you could have been enrolled in Part B, but were not.

If you want to drop your Part B coverage while you are out of the country, you must notify the Social Security Administration. Your Part B benefits — and premiums — will continue for one more month after the month you notify Social Security that you wish to cancel.

If you return to the United States, you must re-enroll in Part B, but you may only do so from January through March each year, your benefits will not begin until July, and you may have to pay a premium penalty.

For Part D, the situation is a bit different. With Part D you cannot continue paying your premiums while you are out of the country. Once you move outside of the U.S., you are ineligible for Part D. Contact your Part D plan to coordinate your disenrollment date with the date of your move abroad. If you move back to the States, you will again be eligible for Part D and can enroll in a plan during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). The SEP begins the month before you move back to the U.S., the month you move back and up to 2 months after the move.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Medicare will pay for claims outside the US in very very limited circumstances……..none of which are applicable to the DR.

Your option is to have a Medicare Supplement policy…..so called-Part C. Mine will cover me for emergency and or urgent care while outside of the US for a period of 6 months. After 6 months outside of the US, coverage will be denied. So the workaround would seem to be to travel back the US so the 6 month time frame resets. And adding further, I am required to have a US address in the applicable plans coverage area.

Note that the plan will not cover me for routine care, and any emergency or urgent care I do receive in the DR, and will require me to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
All is correct. I was trying to say (over complicated matters) is if you do not have a US address (legally) you cannot have the full plan as you noted. I complicated matters by writing IF you claim you LIVE in the DR and have become a DR citizen you wouldn't have a legal US address.
I have what you describe in this post.I have legal a residence in the U.S.and pay the federal and state taxes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All is correct. I was trying to say (over complicated matters) is if you do not have a US address (legally) you cannot have the full plan as you noted. I complicated matters by writing IF you claim you LIVE in the DR and have become a DR citizen you wouldn't have a legal US address.
Becoming a DR citizen, or DR legal resident, or just staying here illegally forever on a tourist card) is irrelevant.
I have what you describe in this post.I have legal a residence in the U.S.and pay the federal and state taxes.
True you have to have a US residence because part B/Advantage plans are different for every locale.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Really...Winde. LOL. Good to know. Happy New Year!
Failure to request an extension will result in a fine at the airport upon departure. The fines range from approximately $55 USD for one month to as high as $1,555 USD for overstays of 10 years or more. All passengers are required to fill out an E-Ticket or paper form when entering or exiting the Dominican Republic.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/DominicanRepublic.html#:~:text=Failure to request an extension,or exiting the Dominican Republic.

Dominican Republic International Travel Information

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/DominicanRepublic.html#:~:text=Failure to request an extension,or exiting the Dominican Republic.

(above from US Department of State) .

• Wow
Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Becoming a DR citizen, or DR legal resident, or just staying here illegally forever on a tourist card) is irrelevant.
Windy, since I have no horse in this race and I only come to DR1 to learn, I'll let it be. However, what you are saying about being "irrelevant" is not accurate.
Enjoy the day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, since I have no horse in this race and I only come to DR1 to learn, I'll let it be. However, what you are saying about being "irrelevant" is not accurate.
Enjoy the day.
How is the legal status of a person in the DR relevant to their US Medicare? Please inform me.
It makes NO difference if they are a DR legal resident, a DR citizen , or illegally in the DR.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
It is a fine for overstaying a tourist card illegally.
Ah, the semantic debate rears its ugly head yet once again. The website for Migración repeatedly refers to this "fine" only as a tasa por exceso de estadia.

Reactions: Gadfly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ah, the semantic debate rears its ugly head yet once again. The website for Migración repeatedly refers to this "fine" only as a tasa por exceso de estadia.
Yes, they deliberately misname it. They also state that paying the money does not mean the overstay was legal.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Glad to hear about your move, Pierre! I am also a transplant and I have been living here for 15 years. FYI, my sister lives in Alpharetta and I run Linux -- two areas in which we may share common interests should you ever wish to hook up for a chat in Sto. Dom. I know a great cigar place in Sto. Dom. if you do happen to smoke cigars.