FOX News' solution to the Haitian problem

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
it could be a net win for the DR.
- much of the land could be useful
- DR could compete on international markets more effectively with such a massive source of cheap labor
- DR gets the international aid money.

the haitians might not like it much, but their choices seem to be dwindling since they can't take care of themselves.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
The idea of annexing Haiti to the DR crossed my mind, after hearing about the Haitian gov't perishing under the rubble in the Palace........but I think its more productive to fix Haiti, somehow..........bring in some foreign educated leaders to get some movement in that country, I am sure there are many capable Haitians in many countries who would like to help their country.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
The author is well intentioned but ignorant. The author is operating on the premise that the DR itself is organized, capable and moreover that the Government is honest & capable. Can you IMAGINE giving the Dominican Government US$50 BILLION dollars to administrate, lol!!!!!!!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
With the correct funding, who better to fix Haiti than the DR?

Who will be better to fix Haiti.........let me see :confused: France, Canada and the USA.

The international community can keep its money, it will never happen. We first will go to war before merging the island.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hmm...

So does this mean that every Rue Jean Jacques Dessalines will have to be renamed Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte?

Boyer will be the evil anti-Dominican (remember, one island under Dominican rule means everyone is technically "Dominican") instead of the hero of heroes.

Massif de la Selle will be Sierra de Bahoruco, Massif du Nord will be la Cordillera Central, Massif St Matheux will be Sierra de Neyba. Centre Plateu will be Valle de Guaba, Hinche will be once again Lares de Guajaba, St. Michel will be San Miguel de la Atalaya, St. Raphael will be San Rafael de la Angostura. Cap Haitien will be Cabo Haitiano.... err, Cabo Dominicano. Ounaminthe will revert to Juana Mendez. Plaine du Nord will be Valle del Cibao. Etang Saumatre will be Lago Azuey.

Merengue and Bachata prevailing over Kompa.

Bye bye to Kreyol and French, hello espa?ol.

The beautiful red, white and blue plus Dios, Patria, y Libertad will sway in the wind island wide; while the red and blue flag will be put on display at the Museo del Hombre Dominicano, as part of a historical artifact.

Dominican (mostly white and mulatto) managers, leaders, etc. ruling over a work force that will be predominantly Haitian (mostly black). The abrupt increase in the number of working age people would result in a slash of wages, at the very least by half (one can only imagine how high the Gini Coefficient would be, probably the highest in the world), this should be interesting. I can already see the Sonia Pierre's and Father Hartley's of the world denouncing the "cruel" disparity in incomes among the better educated and, on average, lighter skin and less numerous Dominicans vs. the less educated, more numerous and, on average, darker skin Haitians.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Let's stick to those who have the means to turn Haiti (with a population more or less the size of NYC and a land area the size of Maryland) into the Pearl of the Caribbean, to actually help Haiti become such.

I repeat what has been said in this board a million times, the solution to Haiti's problems are not to be found in the Dominican Republic. Now I will add a new one, the solution to Haiti's problem is not finishing her off when all she needs is a hand to get up!

You don't slap a person that needs your help, you help them the best you can. You don't necessarily force her to marry you or kill her under the pretense that "its what's best for her."

Haiti needs a helping hand, not a death sentence!

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was going to leave this comment, but you have to sign up and I don't want to, so I just post it here...

Since The Dominican Republic is a poor country as well such merger would just bring down the standard of living for everyone in the Island. Here's a better idea since we have the most powerful country in the world just about a hundred miles away why doesn't The US take over Haiti as a protectorate (just like Puerto Rico) then they could open their military bases down there, yet another source of cheap labor for US corporations, etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Corrupt or not, I LIKE the idea of US$50,000,000,000 in free money coming to the island.:cheeky:

Jan 3, 2003
LOL, hahaha- another reason for cashing out. Enjoy your union with Haiti. Also, a latest report on CNN documents many Haitians entering the DR illegally searching for work as a result.

Add another 1million or 2 to the existent 2 million there.

So much for how this would benefit the DR,LOL

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Que idea mas ridicula! No wonder the FOX network is not in my favorites in my cablebox. They should have screened this article before publishing it.

To quote Marilyn:
Today is the birthday of Juan Pablo Duarte, father of our independence, he said: La patria ha de ser libre e independiente de toda Potencia extranjera o se hunde la isla

'nuff said

JPD would twitch in his grave if he caught a glimpse at that idea. If I recall correctly from Dominican history not only once but twice were we occupied by a Haitian regime. We won our independence in 1844.

My solution to Haiti's problems are to re-direct some of the DR drug routes through Haiti. Work something out with the cartels to show some love to Haiti. They will be raking in the dough!!! But knowing how hungry these ladrones in the DR are that won't happen.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Que idea mas ridicula! No wonder the FOX network is not in my favorites in my cablebox. They should have screened this article before publishing it.

To quote Marilyn:
Today is the birthday of Juan Pablo Duarte, father of our independence, he said: La patria ha de ser libre e independiente de toda Potencia extranjera o se hunde la isla

'nuff said

JPD would twitch in his grave if he caught a glimpse at that idea. If I recall correctly from Dominican history not only once but twice were we occupied by a Haitian regime. We won our independence in 1844.

My solution to Haiti's problems are to re-direct some of the DR drug routes through Haiti. Work something out with the cartels to show some love to Haiti. They will be raking in the dough!!! But knowing how hungry these ladrones in the DR are that won't happen.
It's an OP-ED piece! NOT news!

ALL news outlets run factually incorrect Op-Ed pieces every day!!!!!!!!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Cobra,

I know it's an opinion/editorial piece. All news outlets (including the one I work for) publish incorrect editorial pieces...BUT FOX publishes crap like this ALL THE TIME and takes the price. That was the point I was trying to make. However, THAT is not DR related.

The notion of merging Haiti with the DR is ridiculous. I don't know how some people here have "thought" or "considered" this as an option. But that is just me and my dos centavos.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
El tigre: it wouldn't be a true merger. haiti would just be taken over.

what has been in place for 200+ years hasn't worked, its time to try something new.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobra,

I know it's an opinion/editorial piece. All news outlets (including the one I work for) publish incorrect editorial pieces...BUT FOX publishes crap like this ALL THE TIME and takes the price. That was the point I was trying to make. However, THAT is not DR related.

The notion of merging Haiti with the DR is ridiculous. I don't know how some people here have "thought" or "considered" this as an option. But that is just me and my dos centavos.
I know of no news outlet that advocates the positions of it's outside Op-Ed writers.

What a news outlet advocates a position, they write it themselves and state such.

Some people just have a pre-disposition to not like Fox. Just bias. Nothing new here.

ALL options are options. Even a merger. Like I said, doable or not, at least it's not conventional thinking...because conventional thinking has NOT worked in Haiti.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
This explains it all... Mercy College aka the 13th grade! :p

Hey, watch your language, that's my alma mater... but it serves me right for transferring from Baruch to Mercy College, living in Westchester County it was an easier commute for me... bad idea

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I know Tigre, it is a crazy thought...............believe me it only entered my mind for a bit...........but I discarted the idea because that would only bring HUGE problems to both.........the majority of Dominicans and Haitians don't want that...........I really hope that for everyones peace of mind that Haiti will recover and that something good comes out of the earthquake.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Relocation

By RUKMINI CALLIMACHI
The Associated Press
Saturday, January 16, 2010; 5:52 PM

DAKAR, Senegal ? Senegal is offering free land to Haitians wishing to ?return to their origins? following this week?s devastating earthquake, which has destroyed the capital and buried thousands of people beneath rubble.

Senegal?s octogenarian President Abdoulaye Wade told a meeting of his advisers that Haitians are the sons and daughters of Africa, because the country was founded by slaves, including some believed to have come from Senegal.

?The president is offering voluntary repatriation to any Haitian that wants to return to their origin,? said Wade?s spokesman Mamadou Bemba Ndiaye late Saturday following the president?s announcement.

?Senegal is ready to offer them parcels of land ? even an entire region. It all depends on how many Haitians come. If it?s just a few individuals, then we will likely offer them housing or small pieces of land. If they come en masse we are ready to give them a region,? he said.

He stressed that Wade had insisted that if a region is handed over it should be in a fertile area ? not in the country?s parched deserts.

Senegal, a nation of 14 million roughly the size of South Dakota, is considered one of the most stable and developed in the sub-region. Still nearly half of working-age adults are unemployed and the country has been burdened by high food prices, frequent blackouts and spiraling energy costs.

Many have criticized Wade for being a dreamer, proposing lofty projects that do little to alleviate poverty or address endemic corruption. Others see him as a statesman who dares to have a vision for Africa.

This idea should seriously be considered. Haiti has not been self sufficient for decades. After several hurricanes, and a devastating earthquake, the country cannot have a rebirth, just by throwing billions of dollars at it. It will continue to need millions each year, just for survival, let alone growth.

The country does not have enough tourism, agriculture, or industry to sustain itself. With all the trees burned or destroyed by hurricanes, and little agriculture, the country does not have enough food. The small amount of tourism from a few cruise ships does not provide enough tax revenue to build infrastructure. The same can be said for whatever industry is there.

If they relocate the people, for at least a decade, the country can be replanted and allowed to heal. Money can be more wisely spent on rebuilding their agricultural base, rather than just handing out food. The initial plan after the hurricane is to give the locals money to rebuild their own homes. Chances are, the will not be rebuilt to be earthquake or hurricane proof. If they relocate the people, they can take their time rebuilding homes for the people, and build them according to modern codes.

I think Haiti should seriously consider the offer. . .