Future plans of moving to DR.

Mar 1, 2009
Welcome to DR1, I welcome more of my fellow Dominicanos to come back and reinvest in their country. Good idea!
Just play Rubi Perez song "Volvere"'

I don't understand how after the total disaster that NAFTA has become for Mexico, it's farmers and local industry how any country can continue to put their faith in these horrible "free" trade deals, there ain't nothing free about it.

Oy vey

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

danation

Mar 12, 2014
Bonao is in a wait and see situation. Some are seeing the new opportunities. For example, there are lots of forests in the area and a new biomass plant is going up to transform the commercial forests into fuel to replace charcoal made from forests, and supply industry with alternate sources of fuel.

It is yet to be seen what will happen with Falcondo in the area and also with the rice plantations. Falcondo is still fighting to get the environmental permission to exploit Loma Miranda. Bonao countryside was affected by the contamination by Falcondo, but it still is a lovely area. The Ministry of Environment fixed up the Jima falls route and several of these can be easily visited.

Take note that once the DR-CAFTA protection is gone, US rice imports may be cheaper than consuming locally produced rice. There are opportunities for alternate planting on those lands.

Bonao is a cultural hub that few people know of. Great to visit the Candido Bido Museum, the Tiburcio Museum and the Santos de Palo.

It is best known as a stopover, with its two good paradors -- Tipico Bonao and Miguelina.

Bonao needs more smart people to get people to stay longer, and not just one to spend two hours in having lunch on the way somewhere else.

Hope you soon join the thinkers and creators that move and shake Bonao.

My mother is actually planning on investing in a rice field this summer. I will do some research and inform her of the DR-CAFTA. Thanks.

And i hope so as well. I know that if the supermarket is a success i could expand it into a mini mall sort of thing where we can serve food and sell clothing. It would provide much needed jobs to the people of my mother's hometown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danation

Mar 12, 2014
Also does anyone know why i cannot access the "why i love the dominican" thread that is just above or below this one? I can access all others.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Also does anyone know why i cannot access the "why i love the dominican" thread that is just above or below this one? I can access all others.

Off-Topic forums need 500 + posts to be able to participate so start posting!!! :)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I applaud you and wish you all the best! You have a really good plan and folks on the forum can give you some great advice to help you along the way.

danation

Mar 12, 2014
I applied for a position teaching English there, and though I was raised in their church I completely forgot to remove my earing. Even women in their church aren't allowed to wear such and seeing both of those interviewing me looking steadily at my "Outward Adornment" as they call it I knew i had no chance of a job. So if you have any such or a tattoo cover it up before any interview there.

Thanks for the advice.

Do all university have english programs in DR?

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Not a troll. Both of my parents were born in DR. I went every summer as a kid and still go and visit my family at least once a year. I want to move because i prefer the lifestyle as opposed to the fast paced always in a rush and everyone around you is miserable lifestyle of NYC. I decided to one day move to DR when i was 16 and am now 24 and the plan hasn't changed. My family mostly lives in Bonao and I love it there. My mom has some land and we are finishing a 3 bedroom house we are building from scratch in Bonao. I also recently purchased a 400 meter solar near Santo Domingo where i plan to build a second home in the coming years to have one closer to the capital and maybe rent out. My girlfriend of 4 years lived in Tamayo on the south east until she was 8 years old before coming to NYC. She also loves the idea of moving later on since most of her family lives in DR as well.

Danation, you remind me so much of myself. It's nice to see I'm not the only Dominican American wanting to live in the DR. I wasn't born or raised in the DR but have been wanting to live there since I was 8. I live in NYC as well and I totally understand where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this country and am happy with how much I've accomplished as well as my family as a result of living here. I've been fortunate enough to travel to other countries as well...but still, the DR is the place I feel most at peace, alive, free, and home all at the same time. I don't go on DR1 much but I probably found this site when I was a teen looking to read more and more about my 'roots.' Having read so many non-dominicans who, while they poke fun of the people and place a lot, for the most part appreciate how special it really is...fortified my dream of living there over the years.

My parents retired as DOE teacher's here in NY and now live in Jarabacoa (close to 3 yrs now). Retired quite early but with pensions...they preferred to take the hit on doing so early but they could not be happier and I could not be happier for them. They would never have been able to live as happy and comfortable here in NY (financially and otherwise)...they've never lived in that town but know more people there in only 3 yrs than the 25 yrs they lived in the same house here in the Bronx. This made my desire to live there even stronger! I am 30 yrs old and my wife (also dominican-american) is expecting our first baby. My job is allowing me to work from the DR (will no longer be a supervisor so I will take a bit of a hit on my salary but honestly, I feel it's well worth it on so many levels) and so I am in the process of selling our home and home daycare business that my wife has been running (it's a good biz, we are doing great but we feel this is too good of an opportunity). We hope to be there by the fall. A few comments:

1. this first one is a business one. I have a BBA, an MBA and have a lot of experience working with small businesses. While your idea may potentially be a good one, I strongly suggest you take some entrepreneurial courses (NY has tons of free ones or close enough to free). Anything having to do with food in particular is challenging. More than 90% of food related businesses close in the first year. This is not meant to deter you or kill your dreams but for supermarkets you need to make sure you understand business, logistics, price margins, etc. Remember, a large portion of your inventory is perishable. The margins for this business are often small. If you could take those summers that you will have off and intern for a supermarket perhaps (under a manager), I would recommend you do so. There is also a lot of potential for stealing in this type of business especially when the boss is away. This happens everywhere but it's easier to steal in this type of business than in many others so if you are thinking you can run a supermarket from that far while you are in the states, just know it will be super difficult. You are a mathematician but the success to a business is not just a simple formula...it's one with many factors to consider. Again, not impossible...most businesses close due to lack of planning, knowledge, and preparedness. The more of this you have, the better. Businesses can also suck the life out of you. It can really be a 24/7 ordeal. You may think you can just go and pick up the dough but it's more complicated than that. No one will take care of your business with more interest than you and you may often end up having to do more than you bargained for to make sure it runs well or at all...if you don't mind the work than you'll probably be ok but I say this because so many new entrepreneurs have this mentality. Once again, just things for you to consider.

2. Not sure how many years it takes for you to get a pension working for the DOE but I don't think you'll get anything working only 12 yrs...just something to think about. Pensions are a beautiful thing if you can get one (I wish my job offered that!). However, I am a bigger believer in living the life you want to live than spending a lifetime planning for that life. Though you should find a balance if you can.

3. save, save, SAVE! you are young. Be wise with your money. Do not skimp on matching retirement plans, set up a Roth IRA...your girlfriend should too. If you have no idea what I am talking about, watch Suze Orman (MSNBC, saturdays at 9pm...DVR it or just add her show to your podcast). I can't stress this enough. I know you are investing in land and things in the DR but believe me, it's important to have these types of investments...the compounding interest makes all the difference. Try not to touch retirement ones till you are of retirement age...you will regret it when you're older. Have other types of savings accounts for short term/mid term goals. Your plans are ambitious which is good but also have risk. The more cushion you have, the better. Again, learn how money works and learn it well.

4. don't give up on your dream to live there. if your heart is there, follow it. Find a way. The DR could use more of it's intelligent and progressive diaspora brothers coming back (not the deported ones!).

suerte hermano

danation

Mar 12, 2014
Danation, you remind me so much of myself. It's nice to see I'm not the only Dominican American wanting to live in the DR. I wasn't born or raised in the DR but have been wanting to live there since I was 8. I live in NYC as well and I totally understand where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this country and am happy with how much I've accomplished as well as my family as a result of living here. I've been fortunate enough to travel to other countries as well...but still, the DR is the place I feel most at peace, alive, free, and home all at the same time. I don't go on DR1 much but I probably found this site when I was a teen looking to read more and more about my 'roots.' Having read so many non-dominicans who, while they poke fun of the people and place a lot, for the most part appreciate how special it really is...fortified my dream of living there over the years.

My parents retired as DOE teacher's here in NY and now live in Jarabacoa (close to 3 yrs now). Retired quite early but with pensions...they preferred to take the hit on doing so early but they could not be happier and I could not be happier for them. They would never have been able to live as happy and comfortable here in NY (financially and otherwise)...they've never lived in that town but know more people there in only 3 yrs than the 25 yrs they lived in the same house here in the Bronx. This made my desire to live there even stronger! I am 30 yrs old and my wife (also dominican-american) is expecting our first baby. My job is allowing me to work from the DR (will no longer be a supervisor so I will take a bit of a hit on my salary but honestly, I feel it's well worth it on so many levels) and so I am in the process of selling our home and home daycare business that my wife has been running (it's a good biz, we are doing great but we feel this is too good of an opportunity). We hope to be there by the fall. A few comments:

1. this first one is a business one. I have a BBA, an MBA and have a lot of experience working with small businesses. While your idea may potentially be a good one, I strongly suggest you take some entrepreneurial courses (NY has tons of free ones or close enough to free). Anything having to do with food in particular is challenging. More than 90% of food related businesses close in the first year. This is not meant to deter you or kill your dreams but for supermarkets you need to make sure you understand business, logistics, price margins, etc. Remember, a large portion of your inventory is perishable. The margins for this business are often small. If you could take those summers that you will have off and intern for a supermarket perhaps (under a manager), I would recommend you do so. There is also a lot of potential for stealing in this type of business especially when the boss is away. This happens everywhere but it's easier to steal in this type of business than in many others so if you are thinking you can run a supermarket from that far while you are in the states, just know it will be super difficult. You are a mathematician but the success to a business is not just a simple formula...it's one with many factors to consider. Again, not impossible...most businesses close due to lack of planning, knowledge, and preparedness. The more of this you have, the better. Businesses can also suck the life out of you. It can really be a 24/7 ordeal. You may think you can just go and pick up the dough but it's more complicated than that. No one will take care of your business with more interest than you and you may often end up having to do more than you bargained for to make sure it runs well or at all...if you don't mind the work than you'll probably be ok but I say this because so many new entrepreneurs have this mentality. Once again, just things for you to consider.

2. Not sure how many years it takes for you to get a pension working for the DOE but I don't think you'll get anything working only 12 yrs...just something to think about. Pensions are a beautiful thing if you can get one (I wish my job offered that!). However, I am a bigger believer in living the life you want to live than spending a lifetime planning for that life. Though you should find a balance if you can.

3. save, save, SAVE! you are young. Be wise with your money. Do not skimp on matching retirement plans, set up a Roth IRA...your girlfriend should too. If you have no idea what I am talking about, watch Suze Orman (MSNBC, saturdays at 9pm...DVR it or just add her show to your podcast). I can't stress this enough. I know you are investing in land and things in the DR but believe me, it's important to have these types of investments...the compounding interest makes all the difference. Try not to touch retirement ones till you are of retirement age...you will regret it when you're older. Have other types of savings accounts for short term/mid term goals. Your plans are ambitious which is good but also have risk. The more cushion you have, the better. Again, learn how money works and learn it well.

4. don't give up on your dream to live there. if your heart is there, follow it. Find a way. The DR could use more of it's intelligent and progressive diaspora brothers coming back (not the deported ones!).

suerte hermano

Thank you for your advice. You brought up some things i haven't thought about.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
^no prob. Anytime. Didn't realize I wrote as much as I did. My apologies!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome aboard.......there will be naysayers but this is your country which I thank your parents and those before them for such a inner peace and tranquility that is among all my Dominican friends and especially the children . (I am from Detroit and this was a dream for so many years I cannot count) If you can dream it you can do it. Good luck to you and your family

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
If many expats have done it before without even knowing the country or the language. Why not you? GO FOR IT!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After "DETROIT" the DR must look pretty good!
"Inner Peace & Tranquility", ..Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,.....Not So Much!!!
There, or HERE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC