Gangs at Las Americas International Airport follow their victims home

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I cannot find the previous thread on this subject but, in it, a woman was travelling from SDQ airport into town.... alone in the van.

The driver stopped and got out for no apparent reason and paced around nervously. The woman's Spanish was sufficient to blast him and get him back into the van and drive on.
She felt something was awry and that she was lucky to get away.

WW

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Quote fromw WW
"I cannot find the previous thread on this subject but, in it, a woman was travelling from SDQ airport into town.... alone in the van.
The driver stopped and got out for no apparent reason and paced around nervously. The woman's Spanish was sufficient to blast him and get him back into the van and drive on.
She felt something was awry and that she was lucky to get away."
That was me...Thankfully I had lived in the DR and "knew the Dominican way". The fear and knowledge of Spanish saved me that day for sure.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
LOL, and that is your solace that it happens everywhere. You know the ENDGAME is near when comparisons are made on the order that this happens everywhere.

I continue to be amazed and astonished at the unbelievable resilience and dogged determination on behalf of ex-pats to stay in light of DAILY, yes DAILY increments of all types of violent crimes in the DR.

Crimes being perpetrated against foreigners specifically, such things were unheard of in the past. Now, the foreigners are "pollo gringos" that are sought after by these thugs coupled with an impotent and at times complicit police force and armed forces to boot.

Kidnappings, murders, home invasions, Somali-type gangland pirate-type robberies of recent arrivals from the airport-I have to give it to you guys, you're one of a kind.

Gotta be careful what you say onions... you're worse than I am; I just asked a few questions and got blacklisted by several members.. there are some expat's that resent people that are ignorant about the DR asking questions so I'm sure you'll get blasted by your statement. Good luck!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Quote fromw WW
"I cannot find the previous thread on this subject but, in it, a woman was travelling from SDQ airport into town.... alone in the van.
She felt something was awry and that she was lucky to get away."
That was me...Thankfully I had lived in the DR and "knew the Dominican way". The fear and knowledge of Spanish saved me that day for sure.

Dulce.... where is that thread?
It ties in so well with this one.

I searched "medication" and many others but can't find it.
Remember the girl who lost her medicine in the robbery?

WW

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Gotta be careful what you say onions... I just asked a few questions and got blacklisted by several members.. there are some expat's that resent people that are ignorant about the DR asking questions

Nobody should be ostracized because they are ignorant about the D.R. and seeking answers to their particular set of questions.
Every knowledgeable ex-pat at one time was in that exact position looking for
the help and advise from anyone willing to give it.....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Nobody should be ostracized because they are ignorant about the D.R. and seeking answers to their particular set of questions.
Every knowledgeable ex-pat at one time was in that exact position looking for
the help and advise from anyone willing to give it.....

I couldn't agree more. Some people like bigbird, bronxboy etc. have been so helpful about giving advice for some questions that I had. Other's seem like you're bothering them when you ask for advice. They act like you should know it all already. Oh well. Can't wait for my third visit to DR this year!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't have much luck using the search function on DR1 either. Sometimes I try Google and get better results. I believe this is the thread you are talking about.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/103689-warning-about-being-followed-sdq-robbed.html

Yup! Thats it and the Armour thyroid thread.

They were from June and July of this year which is interesting b/c there was speculation that Christmas would be a popular time w/ people arriving home for the holidays w/ cash and presents.
No -- summer time for these posts.

Still the same story just a month later.

If they don't steal from luggae at the airport, they get you going home.

Airport theft is big everywhere... Philadelphia has a terrible reputation. They rebuilt the whole baggage handling division there to get rid of the problem.

Caution - caution - caution

WW

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Taxi drivers are just that, they are trying to get you from point A to point B get there money and find another fare.They are not interested in cars that may be following and probably never take any notice, They also never notice because mirrors are used either as ornaments on a car or to look at oneself, not to see whats behind you.

I agree, that is what a Taxi drivers job description is. The same as security is to patrol and protect property. Doesn't mean they are all squeeky clean does it:ermm: I am not bothered enough to get into a debate on who could be right or wrong on this and so is pointless.
As far as the driving goes. I can see on the Northcoast mirrors are less important, I disagree everyone uses them as ornaments or to look at oneself, most use them to see what is behind them before changing lanes (in the city it would be impossible to move unless there was some kind of method to the madness, albeit bad method), believe it or not. The cutting up of cars on the roads around the city is with complete intention and awareness, they know what is around them and still make these moves.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
This whole getting robbed/followed from the airport [SDQ] to home [or destination] is nothing new. Like many posters have advised: keep your eyes open at all times. I worry about this happening every time i travel to DR and take LATE flights [my last 2 trips were Jet Blue with arrivals at 1am and 4am]. I always rent a car and drive myself, but even so I lock the doors and keep a close eye in my rearview mirrors. You never know when travelling around at that time of night, lucky for me nothing has ever happened!
shawn27, good luck on your next trip and remember to keep your eyes open!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find many people are careful NOT to arrive late at night into SDQ..... may be OK at POP... but not SDQ.

Personally, i NEVER fly in at night and always have a Dominican picking me up in my own car.
Not that that will prevent robberies.... just works well for me.

WW

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
actually arriving late at night to SDQ works for me so i dont have to miss work during the day, but that's just me....
robberies are waiting to happen all the time, there is no doubting that, i am just grateful nothing has happened to me in all my trips! The stretch of highway between SDQ and la capital is decent enough but you never know if someone is lurking to do bad things. I always find driving to la capital at late night makes the drive seem so much longer...sigh
Keep your eyes open that's all I can recommend!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
If they don't steal from luggae at the airport, they get you going home.

Airport theft is big everywhere... Philadelphia has a terrible reputation. They rebuilt the whole baggage handling division there to get rid of the problem.

SDQ is one of my favorite airports. It has a personality. It's full of happiness, smiles, hugs and kisses. I sneak past the taxi hustlers to have a cigarette and get acclimatized, then I go back into the terminal for a cubalibre before heading off. I look broke. The gold chain came off and the beads went on before I left the house. I wear a Timex with a worn leather band and travel in the funkiest pair of running shoes you've ever seen in your life (mostly to get back at TSA for bombarding my doo-dads with X-rays) with no socks. I wear either an old warm up suit (in the Winter) or worn 5.11 pants with a faded old (= soft and comfortable) golf shirt. Nothing matches. Nobody bothers me at either end of my journeys.

I will never connect through Philadelphia again. There's way more problems there than stolen checked luggage items.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
If I happen to get to SDQ during daylight hours I enjoy the short drive to the Texaco station before hitting the highway [on airport road, or is it Rt 66? LOL] and have me a nice cold one before getting started :)
I agree, SDQ has its own personality. Definately different than STI and POP, but to each their own! :)

shawn27

May 24, 2010
This whole getting robbed/followed from the airport [SDQ] to home [or destination] is nothing new. Like many posters have advised: keep your eyes open at all times. I worry about this happening every time i travel to DR and take LATE flights [my last 2 trips were Jet Blue with arrivals at 1am and 4am]. I always rent a car and drive myself, but even so I lock the doors and keep a close eye in my rearview mirrors. You never know when travelling around at that time of night, lucky for me nothing has ever happened!
shawn27, good luck on your next trip and remember to keep your eyes open!

Thanks I'm definitely looking forward to it! I love DR!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If I happen to get to SDQ during daylight hours I enjoy the short drive to the Texaco station before hitting the highway [on airport road, or is it Rt 66? LOL] and have me a nice cold one before getting started :)
I agree, SDQ has its own personality. Definately different than STI and POP, but to each their own! :)

Definitely...... gasolina y cerveza and hit the road.... takes me 2hrs from there

WW

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Ahhhh

Definitely...... gasolina y cerveza and hit the road.... takes me 2hrs from there

WW

just the thought of this alone brings back memories....nothing like a nice cold presidente [vestida de novia] to hit the spot before the long drive.
sometimes I even wander across the road and admire the shore, waves, blue skies/water....ahhhh
ok now i want to go back damn it! ;)
shawn27 when are you going again? are you all set with itinierary? :cheeky: