Gap Year in DR - Adventure Time

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
Having been deemed the token black guy for 90% of my life I don't feel a NEED to be engulfed in an AA environment. I get along with just about every race so long as there is a level mutual respect. When I was in the DR last, aside from an arguing match with a random italian in Las Terrenas who spoke no english I actually had no issues at all "racially". Lol but when I did see other AA there was an automatic **gasp...another black person...lets make friends" urge lol

silverpoppy

Nov 29, 2009
Re Apt rental Sosua

Planning on moving to the DR for a year vacation from "life" to finally get some adventure in my life.
I have been to the DR once for about 10 days, somehow managed to spend $3500 between my girlfriend and I, but most likely was do to trying to keep her entertained (girlfirends smh).

This time around I plan on paying 6 month rent upfront and HOPEFULLY living pretty cheaply for about 6 months (i now i said gap YEAR but i'm a broke college student)

Now the fun part...i speak NO SPANISH except for a few curse words. Was thinking about getting a place in Puerto Plata, Sosua, or Caberete, but to many hookers and seems to cliche'...i want to experience way more than just the touristic areas like the ones i mentioned. Thinking about Santiago, but seeing as I speak no spanish (though I am looking to pick it up...a bit) I feel like that might not be such a good idea. Either way as I am looking for an adventure (my 10 days there was a hell of an exp. lol) so I feel like that comes with it.

Input no matter how negative, is greatly appreciated.

Hi Ron,
Please read my post earlier today,
under moving down soon,
Silverpoppy@hotmail.com
Let me know if you are intrested,
Liam.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Having been deemed the token black guy for 90% of my life I don't feel a NEED to be engulfed in an AA environment. I get along with just about every race so long as there is a level mutual respect. When I was in the DR last, aside from an arguing match with a random italian in Las Terrenas who spoke no english I actually had no issues at all "racially". Lol but when I did see other AA there was an automatic **gasp...another black person...lets make friends" urge lol

I know what you mean Ron. I've done the 'gasp' thing often. lol. But, rather than being the 'token black guy' I've always considered it 'trail blazing'. It's fantastic that AAs are traveling in larger numbers and finding alternative places in the world to set up residence. I envy that you are 26 years old and have the opportunity to adventure. Do it. Plan some time in the DR. Perhaps not as long as 3 months, but, sample the DR, and spend some time in the other countries others have suggested. It will enrich your life immeasurably. Keep an open mind. Check out the 'roads less traveled by'. I'm loving this thread, btw, and I'm glad you posted.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
When I first came to Sosua in 1991 for a short trip, you could count the number of Americans in town on one hand and have fingers left over. I'd say it was about an even split between Canadians and Europeans, mostly Germans with a couple Italians here and there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When I first came to Sosua in 1991 for a short trip, you could count the number of Americans in town on one hand and have fingers left over. I'd say it was about an even split between Canadians and Europeans, mostly Germans with a couple Italians here and there.

So this was a few years before tourists "made it rain" in the discos of Sosua?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im not sure you will actually blend in any better than anyone else , being african american. I can usually tell so Im sure Dominicans have less of a problem

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Blacks from the United States are called "morenos" by Dominicans. Dominican blacks are called "Prietos" or "Indios Oscuros" by Dominicans.

You are judged by your behavior here, so good manners, proper dress, and decency go a really long way towards making friends.

I sort of had a giggle when I saw that post "When I first came to Sos?a in 1991...." I remembered when I first came to Sos?a in 1962!...the ONLY foreigners were the refugees from Hitler's Germany (shm)....and even they were thinning out.

So, as to what you want to do. I think I would suggest Santo Domingo, with some caution. A tiny hotel at first, perhaps a pension later on. The hustle and bustle of the big city might be a turn-off.

Other options have been mentioned. One thing: Do NOT rely on the Internet for your information. Everything here worth learning is done P2P....

Go slow,and you will have a good year.

Cordially,

HB

May 29, 2006
So this was a few years before tourists "made it rain" in the discos of Sosua?

The only bar I remember in El Batey at the time was Eddy's and there was a small German restaurant farther out. Half the town was cane fields back then and Charimicos was bigger than El Batey. There may have been a disco in Los Charimicos but I don't think so in El Batey. Very chill. You could go down to the beach at night back then and the bars would have candles or kerosene lamps. I think Waterfront was built by then and I remember talking to a taxi driver about the names for stars and moon in Spanish. The peso was around 13 to a dollar then. I was staying in a nice little house in Charimicos right near the beach entrance.