General Questions!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
You can tip in USD very easily, get a bunch of singles, (The ones with George on the bill) Loonies, not so sure. ALL taxi's take USD at airport, so you really do not need to arrive with RD Pesos.

LOL I am married to an American Tamborista, and I spend a lot of time in the States...so I am aware of what bills are what when it comes to American money! I am not bringing any Canadian money with me, either!

I have prepaid my transfers to/from the airport as well, so I don't need to worry about that either. Just little incidentals, which I have covered now.

Thank you for your input though!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Your trip sounds exciting...Our friends from Canada always bring USD currency with them, they never really change money for pesos. They use the USD outside of the resort also and have never had a problem. When we do our weekend getaways to Punta Cana I normally leave 3 dollars per day for the maid and I tip the mini-bar person upfront on the first day. I let them know what we like in the mini-bar and it is always there for us. On the last day I will normally give them something extra depending on the service we received. I always leave a tip after we finish at the buffet, the amount just depends on how many of us there were and how the service was. At the ala-cartes I always leave more than at the buffet. At the bars every couple of drinks a give them 1-2 dollars. We always stay at the same resort so the staff pretty much knows us since we go 4-5 times a year. My family that comes to visit also will stay at this resort when they go to Punta Cana so we do get good service. There have been a couple of times I have left something with the maid such as flip flops, lotion, etc...If I really do not want to drag it back with me I will ask if they would like it. One time I brought some flip flops but never used them they were new but I decided to leave them. I wrote a note explaining I was giving some of these items to the maid. They sometimes need a letter for these items so the hotel does not think they just took them from the room. I know because my family stays there alot they have become friendly with the Club Lounge staff and my mom will bring gifts to some of girls that work there. I hope you and your daughter have a great trip. Wish I was going...My next weekend getaway won't be until after the Easter Holiday..

Thank you! I appreciate your comments!

Yes, we are really looking forward to getting away...especially today as I am watching the snow falling at a rapid pace, and listening to the weather station calling for upwards of 8 inches in the next 24 hours!! LOL

I am also excited to step foot on the island I called home so many, many years ago :)