german man attacked and injured in sosua

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I go to 3rd world countries quite a bit and rarely get into bad situations. Your logic is flawed: if you go to someone else's country, would you call someone a murderer because he murdered your child? really....? It's not an attitude, it's fact. You have to call spade a spade, otherwise a bad situation will stay bad. Don't be delusional.

now you are saying I am delusional........really, I thought we were talking about porters at the airport......not murderers.

You bad attitude comes over in your posts.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
with that attitude it is no surprise you get hassled........you goto someone else country and call them scum? really......?

Another thing is that I'm not in another country; I'm in the safety of my own home, in my home country. You are twisting the facts in more ways than one! Shame! LOL

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
now you are saying I am delusional........really, I thought we were talking about porters at the airport......not murderers.
You bad attitude comes over in your posts.
....well, your attitude is bad from where I sit. Look in the mirror: I think you have a hard time accepting the truth.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Those guys who want to help you with your luggage also can help your bag not being checked on the way out.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
About 15 yrs ago, I was in Boca Chica 2-3 times for few days and witnessed terrible crimes against tourists/foreigners. One time, a tourist in front of me on the street was struck on the head with a beer bottle by a bar girl and was bleeding pretty bad in the neck area. Another time, an English speaking guy was surrounded and attacked by several street urchins.

My luck has not been good when it comes to avoiding crime in DR. After a long absence, I plan on coming to DR soon and am hoping my luck will change.

Another disturbing thing that I experienced in DR is the airport people who insist on carrying your bags for you. It seems that they tend to cuss you out vehemently if you refuse their help. I have been to many destinations and such crass behavior by local workers is rare.

Hmmmm, I wonder what that tourist did that caused the bar girl to hit him with a bottle, and what the English speaking guy did to the street urchins that made them surround him. I guess we just have one side of the story. Chances are you wouldn't be very proud if you did know that other side.

As for the luggage handlers at the airport, try traveling with just one backpack.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Well, if Mr.AE wears a heavy gold chain and got a Glock stuck in his belt I would not worry much about the concho monkeys... :cheeky:

donP

In my experiences, these concho drivers, or monkeys as you call them, have been some of the most pleasant and helpful people I've encountered. I hope none ever lift a finger to help you if you need it someday. Oh wait, you won't need their help, you're a bada$$ expat with a gold chain and a Glock. What a joke and I'm guessing small and insecure as well.

In my experiences, these concho drivers, or monkeys as you call them, have been some of the most pleasant and helpful people I've encountered. I hope none ever lift a finger to help you if you need it someday. Oh wait, you won't need their help, you're a bada$$ expat with a gold chain and a Glock. What a joke and I'm guessing small and insecure as well.
Gonna take a wild guess that you don't live here, lmao!!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
About 15 yrs ago, I was in Boca Chica 2-3 times for few days and witnessed terrible crimes against tourists/foreigners. One time, a tourist in front of me on the street was struck on the head with a beer bottle by a bar girl and was bleeding pretty bad in the neck area. Another time, an English speaking guy was surrounded and attacked by several street urchins.

My luck has not been good when it comes to avoiding crime in DR. After a long absence, I plan on coming to DR soon and am hoping my luck will change.

Another disturbing thing that I experienced in DR is the airport people who insist on carrying your bags for you. It seems that they tend to cuss you out vehemently if you refuse their help. I have been to many destinations and such crass behavior by local workers is rare.

The last portion of your post regarding airports has me thinking the rest of your post is pure bull$h1t, and I dislike BC. Vendors there are really over agressive, but a tourist being surrounded there and getting the crap beat out of him unless he is way down the beach area by Marina Zar Par in what I call no mans land is highly unlikely.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well, on motoconchos : in my campo they are starting to become "pushy", ie pouncing on carros publicos when they arrive. But they know that doesnt work with me. I use 2 diffr3nt conchos, that I know well. If they are not there I NEVER take a pushy one. I'll walk past them to another concho. Now nobody harasses me. ( see they do learn:laugh: ).
Also, they are great for running errands. No fags, call a concho on the phone. Missing a cement bag, call a concho. Great service.

When I take a concho in POP or santiago ( very rare ), they have always been real helpful....... and cheap. Again I never take one that comes up to me, I always go to them....... works for me.
BTW, I got to meet a great sastre (?) through a random motoconcho. Half the price than other 3 I visited, and great work.

About the airport porters. Now I fly into santiago, and at night apparently there are no pprters. When I used to fly into SD, at times I had to search for a porter.......... 200 pesos, give him ure tags, he picks up ure 8 cases on the carrousel, walk through customs ( as said by other poster, seems that it is less likely to be controled with a pprter ), loads ure cases into the car.
Less than 4 € for 8 cases !!!! It's a bargain if I have ever seen one.

Love the dr for cheap services !!!!!!

david_

Dec 8, 2012
What makes you think I had more than one bag?

Because that's how I travel and I've never had anyone hassle me about carrying my one backpack, but I've seen others, with multiple bags, being treated the way you described you've been treated. That's how I deduced you had more than one backpack over your shoulder. If you have been hassled over a single backpack, I would further deduce that you appear rather weak to the bag hustlers, and give the impression that you can't handle it.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
... a tourist being surrounded there and getting the crap beat out of him unless he is way down the beach area by Marina Zar Par in what I call no mans land is highly unlikely.
This happened on Av Duarte by the hotel I was staying in (Europa Hotel). I was in my room and kept hearing someone outside yelling "F*ck You!... F*ck You!...F*ck You!" So I went out to the balcony and below was a white guy (40ish) surrounded by several boys who were attacking him like hyenas ( I did not see any blood) as he walked toward Hotel Don Juan. One of the boys I recognized as being a shoe shine boy in the area. They passed under my balcony and continued up the street. It was too painful for me to watch. There were no one else on the street at the time that I could tell.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Not at all but by your description of moto conchos I KNOW you don't live here!

Ok, I guess we don't know the same ones. The ones I'm speaking of is my relative and his fellow concho drivers, all who have treated me, my wife, my sons, and my many friends with nothing but kindness. And another we didn't even know fought off a ladrone that tried to swipe my wife's purse. Like I said, I'm related to one and don't really appreciate a know it all expat calling him a monkey, but I guess since I hang out in barrios and you have your house featured on Lifestyles of the Rich and Douchbags, maybe we see things differently.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
I live in a barrio and hang in MANY places gringos won't..not saying all are shady but um...the only people who offer me drugs are motoconchos.
So do you live here?

No. I don't live there, so I guess that makes you the authority on concho drivers. Sorry I insulted your superior position. I just entered the conversation because someone made a blanket statement about "concho monkeys". I guess I have no right to challenge your opinion of Dominicans. I just see things from a different perspective, but I guess my time spent there with family who have lived there their whole lives and are really good people doesn't compare to the opinion of expats who have no family there and are relativly new to the country. So many seem to jump on the "dominican hater" bandwagon. Oh well, to each their own they probably won't make it in the long run and will run back to their country where cab drivers don't offer them drugs.