german tourist murdered on the malecon in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
el caribe and city santiago gave "body count" yesterday of foreigners killed on the north coast lately.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/02/16/violencia-cobra-vida-extranjeros
http://www.citysantiago.com/2016/02/16/inseguridad-llevado-ocho-extranjeros-costa-norte#.VsMtY_krLcc

interestingly they do not include canadian woman killed in cabrera but they mention an italian guy killed in sosua in october. in happened in october 2012 and the man was american. dominican journalism...

Could this be a prelude for a gringo death pool?

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I live in Puerto Plata and I have only once been harrassed by someone trying to sell me crap. I don't drink so I stay out of bars.I think some expats do stupid things and place themselves in situations.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Puerto Plata is a sh!t hole and not at all representative of the DR or the Dominicanos. I am so thankful I lived in the Campo, and in a real Dominican town when we first moved here. Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete are so heavily based on tourism and expats that it attracts the slimiest of people. The motoconchos are just nasty, the vendors, and people just 'hanging out' are only their to **** you over. It is part of the culture on the North Coast.

If you go inland, just a little bit, it is completely different. An entirely different breed of person. When we were in Imbert, we could go out and no one hassled us, motoconchos didn't scream "change" at you. They were curious, but that is it. People were friendly, interested in getting to know us, and weren't looking to get money from us. A group of guy stopped their dominoes game to physically lift my wife's broken car out of the mud, and change the tire. Just to help, or maybe for something to do. I've been invited into homes for dinner, homes of people who hardly had four standing walls.

Any place the tourists and expats DON'T go, is where you find the normal Dominicans. They still like their booze, dominoes, and sex... But, they don't treat foreigners like cash cows.

POP and the North coast is no different than the rest of the cities in the DR. You're correct in that if you get out into the Campos, things and people are different, but the same could be said and is true for Punta Ca?a, La Capital, or as we've seen just recently on DR1 Bavaro too.

I know I'm not the only expat that calls POP home, and yes you have Robberies, and other crimes here but a lot of the issues and fears you post of can be easily avoided. One is I don't walk around sporting gold chains or rings, and I don't walk around looking like I'd be an easy mark to get some far money from. RIP, but even this German man that was recently killed probably would still be alive if he hadn't resisted when they went to steal the gold chain from around his neck and possibly the gold chain was what they noticed and was why they marked him in the first place. However, I have found that if you are down to earth, and don't appear to have anything that would be robbers want, that you go pretty much unnoticed.

As far as the remainder of your NC description, I find that as in most places in the world including the NC that people usually "Get What They Put Out". One that puts off the vibe that they are better than others, or is snooty in one way or another will definitely be treated differently than one who comes off as a down to earth normal person that isn't much different than the Dominicans whose country you are a visitor in.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ok, enough of this. this thread is about murder, not about POP.

yeah, dv8. but the murder happened in POP. i just want to get the ground rules before i get hit with an infraction. i want to know if a murder happened in a town, do we discuss only the murder, and forget where it happened...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
ok, enough of this. this thread is about murder, not about POP.

Permiso. This thread is about a German killed on the Malicon in POP. I also believe that my response included comments on the killing as well as the non factual comments that were made regarding Puerto Plata. If my comment is the basis for the above quote, I'd like to know exactly why you deem it as off topic.

Respectfully,
Jst_A_Rebel..

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Could we get a synopsis of the entire situation, I am way to lazy to read the entire thread from you chops..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dead German... shot dead on the POP malecon... while a thieving of his necklace was in progress

Dead, two assassins....

end of story.

Reputation of POP , otherwise upstanding, now in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.