Golf Carts Confiscated in Sosua

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Golf carts on public roads will result in confiscations and fines.
Smoking while operating a golf cart on a public road will result in confiscation and three months imprisonment.
Smoking while operating a golf cart on a beach road will result in confiscation and six months imprisonment.

What if there is a Hooker on your Lap,. is that an extra fine?
can we add to this list ?? with the mods permission of course..
ok, i will stop
lmao

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The real question is, why on earth would anyone even want to drive around in a golfcart ??

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The real question is, why on earth would anyone even want to drive around in a golfcart ??

In small towns, Like Sosua which kind of have a " Village" feel to them , it actually makes a LOT of sense.. but when you mix in drinking, and carelessness, and people who cant drive no matter what they are driving, and are now heavily and openly Drinking and letting their hair down, you essentially have a Jackass video production on your hands..
They are safer than a Moto, and you can put your groceries on them, etc and they are quiet, which is a very big PLUS.
But of course a few bad Eggs have to ruin it for everyone else ..
Its a lot better that the QUADS which like in Las Terrenas, with no helmet wearing Kids zooming down the roads at like 45 +mph.

Last edited:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
In small towns, Like Sosua which kind of have a " Village" feel to them , it actually makes a LOT of sense.. but when you mix in drinking, and carelessness, and people who cant drive no matter what they are driving, and are now heavily and openly Drinking and letting their hair down, you essentially have a Jackass video production on your hands..
They are safer than a Moto, and you can put your groceries on them, etc and they are quiet, which is a very big PLUS.
Its a lot better that the QUADS which like in Las Terrenas, with no helmet wearing Kids zooming down the roads at like 45 +mph.

I'll back this up. It's NOT the carts... It's the drunk or self centered dumb-ass gringo driving it with no care in the world other then him/her self.

And the QUADS too.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
In all actuality, golf carts may be one of the more perfect forms of transportation in a small tourist town like Sosua.  The fact is whether an expat or a vacationer, plenty of drinking occurs on a daily basis.  And people move around town all day.  So what are the other options....

Walking-  A great form of travel but let's face it......not many are into the healthier lifestyle or are simply vacationing (and exercise isn't part of the equation.  

Motos/Scooters-  Yeah just what is needed......inebriated individuals playing Evil Knieval after a few Cuba Libres

Quads- (see JD's comment above). Loud and just as bad as motos imo

Autos-  (see above with the Mario Andretti effect maybe)

All this being said, I wouldn't condone them on the main road. Golf carts are slower than all the above and not as agile as motos......hence a little safer in my opinion.  Let's face it, outside of walking.....no form is truly safe but golf carts move at a speed where the reaction time should be better than all the above (excluding the speed walking drunk lol)

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
A golf cart meeting a metal vehicle in the same place at the same time would negate the need for insurance as the cart and its driver would simply cease to exist.
As would a scooter or motorcycle meeting a metal vehicle the same way. However, in a small town like Sosua, I'd feel safer in a golf cart off of the main roads than I would driving or riding on a scooter or moto.

I'd also think many babies and small children being carried like a football on a moto or pasola would be a lot better off riding in a golf cart with an adult ( on short local rides in a small community.)

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014

Exactly, I had my golf cart for over a year and a half without incident. The only problem I had was keeping locals off of it when it was parked nearby where I was having lunch or dinner. I have to admit, I have seen quite a few guys, usually those on vacation who were renting them. They drew unnecessary attention to themselves. I'm sure excessive drinking was part of the equation. Meanwhile, many other expats like myself were not driving around acting like a mobile party was going on. It was disappointing having my golf cart confiscated, but on the other hand, I agree and accept that they shouldnt be on the road without insurance at least.

The thing that bothers me though, is that motos and scooters are required to have insurance too. However if an individual is driving a car and has an accident with a moto or a pasola ( driven by a local who caused the accident ) more often than not, the driver of the car will have to pay for his own damages, and possibly the damages of the driver of the moto/scooter. So what the hell is the moto/scooter insurance for if it doesnt protect motor vehicle drivers from reckless moto/scooter drivers who cause accidents?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ OP did you get your cart back? will you continue to drive on the streets? was your cart just randomly chosen or are they confiscating all golf carts they see on the roads................... let's wait a week and see what golf cart life is like in Sosua.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
@ OP did you get your cart back? will you continue to drive on the streets? was your cart just randomly chosen or are they confiscating all golf carts they see on the roads................... let's wait a week and see what golf cart life is like in Sosua.

I did not get my cart back. I have not attempted getting it back yet. I have been gathering feedback from local individuals before I consider going to see about it. Here's why.

I suspect that the golf carts may never be allowed to be driven. That means, whats the use of having a golf cart if you cant drive it anywhere? Moreover, I suspect anyone thinking of getting insurance now is going to solve the problem, may be in for a rude awakening. Like, yeah you have insurance, but you still cant drive it. In addition, the PN officers and I believe a Fiscal official is overseeing this issue now. Whereas before AMET in Sosua were the ones golf cart owners were dealing with. Today, it's gone beyond the jurisdiction of AMET.

My early presumptions leads me to believe, I may be expected to pay towing costs, maybe some fine for not having insurance on my cart, maybe legal costs. So essentially I may be looking at getting fleeced out of money and still unable to drive the damn thing. My cart was not randomly chosen. Anybody out with a cart got it confiscated. Including a hotel owner I know. The PN officers as well as AMET a few months back are looking for any golf cart they see. They arent taking them where folks live. Just those they see parked on the street or actually being driven. This morning I saw the mangled cart that injured Mr Graham, parked up at the AMET station. Apparently the driver did more damage to other property other than running into someone. If I got my golf cart back, I would not drive it unless provisions were made to make them street legal.

Which I am more than willing to do, if the criteria is obtainable. But right now,I do not want to take my chances going to Puerto Plata only to be sucked into getting drained of good money that wont result in being able to drive my cart the way I was accustomed to in and around Sosua. If this situation changes to where a golf cart can be made legal, and drivers are not going to have to worry about cat and mouse games ( with police or whatever enforcement entity that is in charge ) picking and choosing when the rules apply , I may very well just look for another cart.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I drive on the main road. Golf carts scare the he.. out of me. No offense. But Casa Linda? Come on.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
I drive on the main road. Golf carts scare the he.. out of me. No offense. But Casa Linda? Come on.

I have heard stories of renters driving golf cars on the autopista from Sosua to Cabarete and back. There are always people out there that will screw up and ruin it for others who try to operate more responsibly. If I had my wish, it would be that PN and AMET would enforce wrong way/direction driving. But then, that would mean, they would have to set the example by not doing it themselves. Oh well.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Mmmh the way I see it, it seems to be a dangerous mean of transportation.
On a motorbike, i have the agility, and the "power" ( as in hp ) to perhaps avoid a collision with some other crazy user of the road ( carro publico, jeepeta, guagua, cow, donkey, etc......).
In a jeepeta I have all of the above ( well ok maybe less agility ) + protection.

There again I am not familiar with a road-worthy golf cart, only with the type used on....... golf courses.
I have images of a golf cart gettimg rammed by a pickup truck, and bouncing off walls and stuff.

As for quiet, sadly on the dr roads, that counts as a MINUS. Like oooooops damn sure didnt see you, and didnt hear you either.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Does that go for the public roads in Playa Cofresi also

I see where you are going. :)

I would hope so as many of those carts do not have functioning lights and are not always in the best operating condition. The lack of good street lighting, tipsy drivers (locals & tourists) makes that 5 minute jaunt scary as hell in the dark and not something I would consider doing without two headlights and two tail lights - besides the Rolls is much more comfortable.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When I was a kid growing up in Florida, we lived in a retirement town. There were tons of golf carts being driven around on the streets by snowbirds.

In order to do that, they had to have plates and insurance. In order to get those, they needed to have headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, a horn, seat belts and an inspection sticker - just like any other vehicle.

What the vehicle "looks" like should not have anything to do with driving on the streets if it is set up correctly.

Maybe somebody on the north coast should look into starting a business adapting them to street use.

WRX2005, if you don't want yours, can I have it?

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Word on Facebook is that there is a new law in the DR that golf carts are not permitted on the roads. That law supposedly took effect at the beginning of the year. Allegedly the fiscal in Santo Domingo has called for the removal of golf carts from the roads countrywide.

See the thing is ladies and gentlemen, most of us are in agreement that golf cars either shouldnt be allowed on the road, and/or if they are allowed, drivers should be insured. And perhaps golf carts should be outfit with lighting and equipment that can make them safer. Thats one issue, and most of us get it. But the issue I have is more about why are people's property being taken from them. A golf cart doesnt have to be confiscated in order for it to be taken off the road. Sosua is a small town. My golf cart is/was always parked off the street in a parking lot. All the PN officers had to do was say, take this thing home because you cant drive it anymore. And that would be a done deal. They could have followed me too to make sure it was parked. Of course they would also see where it is parked and where I live. 3 of my neighbors have their carts parked at home where we live. They know they cant drive them. So there is no reason to confiscate someones property that they paid for. If PN police was able to drive my golf car all the way up to AMET, I could have easily drove it to my place and parked it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wrx2005, you are trying to apply logic in the DR. Frequently, that is not possible.

One of my sources told me that a child was hit by a golf cart without insurance (not that insurance would work anyway if golf carts cannot be legally used on the road) and that triggered the confiscation of all golf carts on the roads.

I am sure DR1's lawyer will have a response on what is going on.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Wrx2005, you are trying to apply logic in the DR. Frequently, that is not possible.

One of my sources told me that a child was hit by a golf cart without insurance (not that insurance would work anyway if golf carts cannot be legally used on the road) and that triggered the confiscation of all golf carts on the roads.

I am sure DR1's lawyer will have a response on what is going on.

If your source is correct then that means 2 major incidents have sparked attention. Because Andy Graham was hit by a golf cart that caused serious injury to his leg and other areas. He was seen being put in an ambulance near Hotel Europa where the accident occurred. I saw the mangled cart that hit him up at the AMET station. Where did your source say the accident occurred and the extent of the child's injuries? The reason I ask, is because I heard the same story from someone who was actually talking about Andy Graham's accident near Europa, and it seems that the story got changed to it being a kid that got hit. The thing is, there have been more incidents involving golf carts. Most of which involved renters. In spite of their appeal there is added risk driving a cart because they are so slow compared to a car or moto/scooter. You cant get out of the way fast enough. Once you commit to movement, you could be in trouble if you misjudge the road and others on it.