good neighbourhoods near sosua

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
the upside to Santiago is that it is a city. POP, and places like that, are cow towns. nothing to do, nothing to see. there might be 5 good restaurants in POP, if that many. it is the carcass of a once booming tourist destination, whose best days are long gone.

Where do you live again Gorgon ? :classic:

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
That's true, living by the ocean will destroy a television and other electronics in less than 6 months if you keep the windows open... Anything metal exposed to the winds off the ocean will turn to rust quickly. Living right on beach vs. 200 meters back makes a big difference. I would really look for a nice place with a pool and tropical feel. You can always walk (if your a few blocks away to a beach) or drive to the many beaches around. I think that will fit into a limited budget anyways.

I don't know the tuition for the international school, but I have overheard that its very expensive. Nevertheless, if you want to have the kids get an education at an accredited school so they might have an easier time getting to college in the future, maybe the international school is important if you can afford it. I have met many graduates from the international school and they all seem well educated.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
excellent observations...

Now I'm almost regretting a recent diatribe...almost.

Your point about larger cities is well taken. More people, more services, more options.

I am personally not all that enthusiastic with large cities though so for me the hustle & bustle would probably affect my QOL after awhile. As an initial stepping stone when first arriving here, maybe.

May 29, 2006
I'm looking at Cabrera. Emerging ex pat community not far from Playa Grande and no where near the cost.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We considered Rio San Juan and Cabrera. In the end the language issue seemed too daunting, that and not having a car.

Lot's of pluses for both places. Would definitely consider out that way in the future.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cheaper the better Derfish, looking for 3 bedrooms as the properties are pretty small I've seen and would be nice to have an extra room for "stuff" LOL. If we find something we like for $600 that fits in our budget and would be phenominal!! I am getting scared reading the living costs people are posting here. My husband is about to retire and we can no longer afford our mortgage on a pension ( I am the 3rd wife and my hubby walked away from his last 2 houses). we will have a nice nest egg to move with..but dont really want to rely on htat for monthly living.

The cheaper the rent the more you will sacrifice for the type of neighborhood you are living in. I have said it many times, readmy lips, SECURITY, is the #1 concern for GRINGOS moving to the DR. If you are intent on renting a free standing house in a Dominican neighborhood you will be making yourself a target. If you have to be overly concerned about the cost of living than you should not be moving to the DR. A used car will cost you $8000-12000usd and gas is around $5usd a gallon. Residency for 3 will cost you upwards to $3000usd. Moving your posessions will cost you a least a couple of thouand dollars. I hope you have more than a "little nest egg". Do not count on opening a sucessful business in the DR. That is very difficult. You seem to be thinking about the DR for all the wrong reasons. Cost of living is cheaper in Florida than it is in the DR. If you really still are considering the DR than look at renting a condo that is furnished in a gated community. If you can't consider this than you are not educated as to the hazards of moving to a foreign country where you do not know the language and it's everyday customs. Also as I stated before Sosua is not the area for a 9 year old girl to be exposed to. It sounds like you want to move because you can't afford Canada any longer. That is not a good reason to uproot your way of life. Nothing personal but your husbands track record sounds a little shaky. Yes, I am being harsh because it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Being on vacation at an all inclusive is just that. Living in the DR with day to day problems is not far from what you are doing currently. Think about your plan. If your husbands pension can cover monthly expenses, including private school than proceed. If not, you are heading for the edge of the cliff.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not one to stomp on the dreams of others. If the OP is committed to moving here, I'd say come on down. One has to do the research to appreciate the costs & reality of living here, the legal steps to legally reside here, some of the daily difficulties and fully understand that "you aren't in Kansas anymore" (at least she is asking questions and that is a good thing).

Most importantly, you need a rescue plan. If everything falls apart and you come to hate it or have to go home, you need the ability to do so. Put $20K is a CD in your favorite bank at home and leave it there. Whatever is left over is what you have available to fund your dream move.

If you have to bail, you have more than enough $$$ for airline tickets, shipping your stuff home and some left over to get setup up again. Living here and not having the where-with-all to get somewhere else should the need arise is too limiting for me. Money is the single most important consideration when one has to overcome obstacles here. otherwise your only options are sacrifice and concession.

Just think of what happened in Zimbabwe when the locals decided foreigners were no longer needed. I'm not suggesting that will ever happen here, but one needs options if the unimaginable ever comes to pass.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not one to stomp on the dreams of others.If the OP is committed to moving here, I'd say come on down. One has to do the research to appreciate the costs & reality of living here, the legal steps to legally reside here, some of the daily difficulties and fully understand that "you aren't in Kansas anymore" (at least she is asking questions and that is a good thing).

Most importantly, you need a rescue plan. If everything falls apart and you come to hate it or have to go home, you need the ability to do so. Put $20K is a CD in your favorite bank at home and leave it there. Whatever is left over is what you have available to fund your dream move.

If you have to bail, you have more than enough $$$ for airline tickets, shipping your stuff home and some left over to get setup up again. Living here and not having the where-with-all to get somewhere else should the need arise is too limiting for me. Money is the single most important consideration when one has to overcome obstacles here. otherwise your only options are sacrifice and concession.

Just think of what happened in Zimbabwe when the locals decided foreigners were no longer needed. I'm not suggesting that will ever happen here, but one needs options if the unimaginable ever comes to pass.

Totally agree with you. It s like when a friend is dating an asshole, you let her know your opinion and leave at that, she gotta live her own experience.

Your zimbabwe analogy is unrelated.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
If Florida is an option for you tjen consider Tampa. Cheap!!! housing, us education for child, good medical care. Also good possibility of visa for work. It was my second choice like the DR without the adventure.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Now I'm almost regretting a recent diatribe...almost.

Your point about larger cities is well taken. More people, more services, more options.

I am personally not all that enthusiastic with large cities though so for me the hustle & bustle would probably affect my QOL after awhile. As an initial stepping stone when first arriving here, maybe.

let?s move on, Cdn...stuff happens. no harm, no foul.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
let?s move on, Cdn...stuff happens. no harm, no foul.

Agreed. You are not that far from me. If you ever feel inclined, I'd very much like to meet up, get to meet the real you and demonstrate that I have my redeeming qualities.

Tregua.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not one to stomp on the dreams of others. If the OP is committed to moving here, I'd say come on down. One has to do the research to appreciate the costs & reality of living here, the legal steps to legally reside here, some of the daily difficulties and fully understand that "you aren't in Kansas anymore" (at least she is asking questions and that is a good thing).

jeez, Gringo, you are on your game today with the advice.

yup, the MOST important thing is the escape valve. i am a caribbean spirit. i was born here in the region, and my socialization is different. i am able to deal with things the average gringo can not. no air conditioning for me, thank you. i was born under a coconut tree, in 96 degrees in the shade. if the water does not run out of the pipe, i call the colmado, and tell them to send me a botellon. i can eat plato del dia type food all the time, because i can cook Dominican ingredients in Jamaican style and make them edible.

foreigners oftentimes have no clue about the culture disparity between the caribbean and Thunder Bay. when the dream crumbles, you have to make sure you have something to go back to. the last thing you need is to burn all the bridges, then realize there is no maple syrup at the colmado.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm Ukaranian maybe I could become the local perogie master LOL!! Our church sells 1300 dozen a month! best around :)

oh, a fellow mail order bride?

out of curiosity i checked rental prices in my neighborhood and 600 dollars a month can get you a one bedroom apartment. and i don't even live in an expensive area. you can find a rental for much less anywhere in DR, really, but you cannot have much for this. even if you up the money, as you said you can do. if you want nice, safe, quiet, clean, child friendly and close to school all at once it may be a bit out of your budget. you'll have to give up something.

btw, unlike gorgon i think pierogi would not sell well here. granted, my dominican family loves them but it's a lot of work and not easy to make it profitable. i guess they could be made in large quantities and sold frozen, kind of like pasteles en hoja. but seeing that miesposo can eat 20 pierogi in one go it would not be a particularly cheap meal to buy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
oh, a fellow mail order bride?

out of curiosity i checked rental prices in my neighborhood and 600 dollars a month can get you a one bedroom apartment. and i don't even live in an expensive area. you can find a rental for much less anywhere in DR, really, but you cannot have much for this. even if you up the money, as you said you can do. if you want nice, safe, quiet, clean, child friendly and close to school all at once it may be a bit out of your budget. you'll have to give up something.

btw, unlike gorgon i think pierogi would not sell well here. granted, my dominican family loves them but it's a lot of work and not easy to make it profitable. i guess they could be made in large quantities and sold frozen, kind of like pasteles en hoja. but seeing that miesposo can eat 20 pierogi in one go it would not be a particularly cheap meal to buy.

if you made them in large quantities, they would be profitable, because of the economies of scale. you could semi mechanize them, and they would sell like crazy. you would not be introducing something entirely new, because Dominicans already eat empanadas. i know how to make them, and everyone i gave them to wanted to know when i was going to start selling them from a location. foreigners all come here and pi$$ away their money on dumb ideas like restaurants and bars, when for a tenth of the capital outlay you could make something that everybody can afford, would love to eat, and would buy in a heartbeat. a decent pierogi stand would make more money in a month than some of these bars lose in a year.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
LT Steve?????????????????

What was it here in the DR that motivated you to leave??????
Might shed some light on possible things/areas to avoid!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
jeez, Gringo, you are on your game today with the advice.

yup, the MOST important thing is the escape valve. i am a caribbean spirit. i was born here in the region, and my socialization is different. i am able to deal with things the average gringo can not. no air conditioning for me, thank you. i was born under a coconut tree, in 96 degrees in the shade. if the water does not run out of the pipe, i call the colmado, and tell them to send me a botellon. i can eat plato del dia type food all the time, because i can cook Dominican ingredients in Jamaican style and make them edible.

foreigners oftentimes have no clue about the culture disparity between the caribbean and Thunder Bay. when the dream crumbles, you have to make sure you have something to go back to. the last thing you need is to burn all the bridges, then realize there is no maple syrup at the colmado.

I was not born here but I agree with you a 100%... That's MY way of thinking at this moment in my life. Don't need more than what I have and don't want to go back to Canada.. I don't care if there is no maple syrup at the colmado, I'll wait until someone I know comes down from Qu?bec next winter... Life is SO SIMPLE when you want it to be.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was not born here but I agree with you a 100%... That's MY way of thinking at this moment in my life. Don't need more than what I have and don't want to go back to Canada.. I don't care if there is no maple syrup at the colmado, I'll wait until someone I know comes down from Qu?bec next winter... Life is SO SIMPLE when you want it to be.

i base my assessments on the numbers i see foreigners throwing around. every time someone posts asking for information about living here, i understand the pain of foreigners. here is why...

the average poster here will tell the OP that he will need somewhere around 1000 dollars just to rent a decent house. i live in a lovely neighborhood, in a nice, furnished apartment, and i pay nowhere close to that. i can be happy where i am. as a matter of fact, i am happy. if you need a house that rents for 45,000 pesos per month, you will never be happy in the DR. your expectations are too high, and that is normal when you come from a first world country.