Great VPN

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I wonder how much longer the US market will continue to geoblock digital content.

It looks like it is about to be outlawed in Europe which con only be a good thing.  http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/geo-blocking/

It doesn't encompass everything, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

One of the things that drives me nuts it to click on a video and get the "not available in your country" message, then hop over to Youtube and watch it. Stupid.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
US just signed off content based internet speed and charging (well, Trump admin overturned previous admin decision), so I am guessing everything will be available from abroad soon, at a certain price and speed ... !

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The recent changes have nothing to do with the licensing of copyrighted material for distribution on the internet. You won't see any lessening of geo-restrictions for media content anytime soon.

Basementality

Nov 12, 2017
I use my own customized VPN through the lease of VPS from Digital Ocean. $5/mo. (1 GB, 1 VCPU, 25 GB SSD, 1 TB transfer). Lots of manuals to configure. Pretty simple.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I use my own customized VPN through the lease of VPS from Digital Ocean. $5/mo. (1 GB, 1 VCPU, 25 GB SSD, 1 TB transfer). Lots of manuals to configure. Pretty simple.

Never thought about it like that, I have some experience with AWS (Amazon Cloud) so will see if it is available there as an easy setup/option.

But did you get your own personal IP or is it using their cloud generic IP !? (I'm asking because a generic IP could get flagged)

I currently use PIA VPN (paid one year sub, fairly cheap though) and that is pretty useless as BBC iPlayer somehow recognizes I am not in UK and blocks me, though I heard they use protocol inspection and some other methods to flag VPN users (I think Amazon Prime and Netflix do the same)....

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Well, I can tell you what doesn't work, Private Internet Access or PIA, useless, already paid for a year and Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer both detect and block it - I think they check the IP address or the protocol, not sure which...

I use a different VPN (IPVanish) and found that it was blocking iplayer....then I just tried selecting different UK servers until one worked.
worth a try

davidmichaels

Nov 14, 2018
I have been trying to find one that I can use Hulu on, but it seems they have cracked down on VPN s. Has anyone found one where You can pinpoint a VPN to a certain state?

Most of those that work with Netflix will work with Hulu, though maybe not always on the same servers. Express will work and their servers tend to be less overcrowded than most cheaper ones. :)

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Express VPN
Washington DC server worked for Hulu Live last week. I am out of country so not sure about today

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

250 GB Storage, not 25. And I would question whether it is an SSD or banks of platter hard drives in RAID

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I now have Express VPN, a bit pricey but works very well with all major content providers and it's very fast, so far so good....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I now have Express VPN, a bit pricey but works very well with all major content providers and it's very fast, so far so good....

That's the provider I finally settled on too, now in my 2nd year.
But you do have to experiment which location allows some content like very the restrictive Amazon Prime Videos and Music.
You can contact support at Express VPN and they will tell you which site is currently not being blocked if you have problems.
I find Los Angeles - 3 has been good for some time.
Netflix and the banks and other websites seem to allow content to pass with all their server locations.
The option to select is TCP - Open VPN for best success with sites like T-Mobile

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, Express VPN is so far very good, let's hope they can keep it up.

One thing I found with their Android app, was it was not very stable and slow connecting and reconnecting etc., so I use OpenVPN app instead. This is a bit tricky to get working with Express account, but searching the web finally got it working now...

I even have a TV box that hooks up to this VPN and can watch everything - although internet speed sometime is a let down over here, the VPN copes well, good bandwidth capacity.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
STRONG VPN

Full access to everything all the time.

Very happy. Have it in all my devices.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Does anyone know of a good free VPN that doesn't use a lot of bandwidth?
Need it for temporary basis, about one month.

ankit

Sep 13, 2019
The best VPN service right now is ExpressVPN. It's the best all-round option for speed, privacy and unblocking websites.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The best VPN service right now is ExpressVPN. It's the best all-round option for speed, privacy and unblocking websites.

I just need a vpn or ip# change app for keeping track on my goverment benifits [Veterans ] I cant use any thing that is .gov

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A few browsers have a free builtin vpn. They are not very fast but may work for your limited use contacting .gov sites. Give Opera a try. You don't have to use it all the time, only when needed if it can get you connected to the sites you need.

If it doesn't work, uninstall Opera and try another one.

Google, "browsers with vpn"

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
A few browsers have a free builtin vpn. They are not very fast but may work for your limited use contacting .gov sites. Give Opera a try. You don't have to use it all the time, only when needed if it can get you connected to the sites you need.

If it doesn't work, uninstall Opera and try another one.

Google, "browsers with vpn"

Thanks but i learned to set up my own IP for a stateside IP. Now can access all the .gov site's
These VPN's are a scam no free ride with them. They all want CC and contract. Seam's like they are screwing lots of people into using them !

Last edited by a moderator: