Grupo Ramos - Walmart

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Funny you should ask:

SANTO DOMINGO. - La Sirena, a supermarket and department store chain operating in various cities, has been sold to the U.S.’ biggest retailer Wal-Mart, for more than US$800.0 million.
Quoting sources close to the deal, elnuevodiario.com.do reports that the chain owned by the Grupo Ramos has been at the center of persistent rumors, that the deal is nearly concluded. “We are aware of it, but we can’t comment anything about it.”
It said the formal transaction was slated for 16 August, but postponed for another date, possibly announced in the coming days. “Some say it will be Saturday, August 25.”
The deal, the outlet reports, doesn’t include Pola, the country’s biggest supermarket chain.
The Ramos group of companies is among the country’s biggest employers, second only to the Popular Financial Group.
There are 21 La Sirena stores nationwide, 13 of which are located in greater Santo Domingo.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-Wal-Mart-buys-biggest-Dominican-retail-chain

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Picky Picky.. Is this good enough? Probably not. Give it a few days. Maybe it isn't true.

Walt Mart compra La Sirena por US$ 800 millones . - Univision Foro / Forum

LOL I guess maybe I am picky picky but I want to see it with my own eyes in Dominican press....maybe you can find me the clipping and scan it to me! LOL
I did see a lot of stuff posted on forums but I just want the official word (or video breaking news) to believe it!

KateP I will wait and see when it shows up in the DR Press :)

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Finally we'll have a Company that offers Customer Service where you can return faulty goods without the usual hassle we're so accustomed too! Great news for the Country!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Finally we'll have a Company that offers Customer Service where you can return faulty goods without the usual hassle we're so accustomed too! Great news for the Country!

Not sure this will change, look at claro, or when was codetel. was never operated like a US company, as far as service!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Funny you should ask:

SANTO DOMINGO. - La Sirena, a supermarket and department store chain operating in various cities, has been sold to the U.S.? biggest retailer Wal-Mart, for more than US$800.0 million.
Quoting sources close to the deal, elnuevodiario.com.do reports that the chain owned by the Grupo Ramos has been at the center of persistent rumors, that the deal is nearly concluded. ?We are aware of it, but we can?t comment anything about it.?
It said the formal transaction was slated for 16 August, but postponed for another date, possibly announced in the coming days. ?Some say it will be Saturday, August 25.?
The deal, the outlet reports, doesn?t include Pola, the country?s biggest supermarket chain.
The Ramos group of companies is among the country?s biggest employers, second only to the Popular Financial Group.
There are 21 La Sirena stores nationwide, 13 of which are located in greater Santo Domingo.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-Wal-Mart-buys-biggest-Dominican-retail-chain

dominican today is a one man operation as a news aggregator, He does his initial translations via Babblefish.

habria vendido is NOT has been sold.. now, I am not exactly sure what that phrase DOES mean.. it is the conditional past perfect... who even knows that in English?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
dominican today is a one man operation as a news aggregator, He does his initial translations via Babblefish.

habria vendido is NOT has been sold.. now, I am not exactly sure what that phrase DOES mean.. it is the conditional past perfect... who even knows that in English?

Unfortunately, it is just a translated rumor.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

I would translate as: supposedly has been sold or apparently has been sold

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For now, we will "Just Say No" to WalMart.

(I am trying to get their legal team fired up, because in the US many communities try to ban WalMart from opening a store and they do it anyway.)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Walmart is the scourge of the retail community. It kills communities and puts little guys out of business for miles around them. They have lowered the qualitity of most items (retail wide)...shut down so much local manufacturing and out sourced it overseas for lower prices. They have caused a flourishing temporary work force...killing full time jobs. All of this stuff trickles down to all companies trying to compete with them. Walmart creates its own customers by lowering the standard of living in the areas around it so that people have to shop there and buy the cheap, inferior quality products made in china.
It draws weirdos to it...bring your camera!! LOL
Funny Pictures at WalMart

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Walmart is the scourge of the retail community. It kills communities and puts little guys out of business for miles around them. They have lowered the qualitity of most items (retail wide)...shut down so much local manufacturing and out sourced it overseas for lower prices. They have caused a flourishing temporary work force...killing full time jobs. All of this stuff trickles down to all companies trying to compete with them. Walmart creates its own customers by lowering the standard of living in the areas around it so that people have to shop there and buy the cheap, inferior quality products made in china.
It draws weirdos to it...bring your camera!! LOL
Funny Pictures at WalMart

...not a big change then to what it is already here...