Grupo Vicini Helps

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Nals, are you aware of the new FTC laws on disclosure of relationships between companies and online endorsements?

FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials

"The revised Guides also add new examples to illustrate the long standing principle that “material connections” (sometimes payments or free products) between advertisers and endorsers – connections that consumers would not expect – must be disclosed. These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other “word-of-mouth” marketers."

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Nals, are you aware of the new FTC laws on disclosure of relationships between companies and online endorsements?

FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials

"The revised Guides also add new examples to illustrate the long standing principle that ?material connections? (sometimes payments or free products) between advertisers and endorsers ? connections that consumers would not expect ? must be disclosed. These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other ?word-of-mouth? marketers."

And what does this have to do with NAL's, really hate to come down on his side but the FTC act has no bearing on what he was or has discussed. This was more for a endorsement of products or services that were shown to the the norm but were in fact not.

And the FTC has no jurisdiction here anyway.

Mar 2, 2008
I believe that NALs lives in Connecticut, and is very much within the jurisdiction of the FTC.

Providing public relations for international firms doing business with US companies would fall into the category of endorsing products and/or services, if that were the case. We do not know if it is the case or not at this time, which is why the question is relevant.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'm glad help gets there no matter WHO sends it.

Vincini should be applauded for their charity.

The Vincini group is GETTING lots of aid from USAID as well since they were the major voice holding up DR Cafta... but OK

really Cobra, I agree
Any aid is very useful

And food and medicines and water from the DR are now and will be in the future a major source of aid.

Personally though, my applause to the Vincini Group will be the sound of one hand clapping

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think NAL's could tell you all to go run and jump and you couldn't do a thing about it, other than add him to your "ignore list" :)

I'm sure NAL's is like a car crash (no pun intended) for some posters. You just have to look, despite knowing you really shouldn't or it's going to make you feel a little icky :)

Let's move on... End of topic....

principe

Nov 19, 2002
They built the homes on land that never belong to them in the first place. Many of them have been compensated either monetarily or will be given a new home currently being built in the vicinity, all equipped with modern conveniences unlike the shacks they initially built. This is what happens in the DR when your private land is invaded because local authorities didn't protect it as they are legally obligated to do before a group of people try to steal it. When you decide to use it you have to pay the invaders to give you your land back, and as a bonus, you get your name smeared in the process.

Or having a couple of foreigners defame you by filming on other people's properties and attributing those conditions to your own, while after being pressured to tell the truth, they very quietly reveal that they "exaggerated a little bit." Of course, now that the Haitian people need help, they are nowhere to be found. Not a word, not anything at a time of relative ease to speak up and having the world listen. Smoke and mirrors and five seconds of fame, that's all they're good for.

In any case, the help is there and this is one of the most generous gestures from the Dominican private sector and a family that has done so much for the development of the country.

Nals,

Thanks for the overview, I was aware that these people had indeed squatted on land that wasn't theirs. I am just a little amused at the attitude of them losing something that isn't theirs to begin with.

Jan 3, 2003
I must say the above post is right on the money... I would rather see money being channeled through organizations with a 1st hand knowledge of the situation on the ground, such as Red-Cross or Churches...

Exactly, it's best to deal with the primary source. Why deal with intermediaries who will only benefit from all of this exposure as being the good guys.

,so I strongly doubt that the Vicini group is trying to extort money from well intentioned citizens who just want to lend a helping hand.

Of course they won't be extorting any of the money. At least the Vicinis that I know wouldn't do that BUT they will benefit greatly from APPEARING to be the darling in this crisis.

I have spoken to at least half a dozen of their blue collar workers and not one that I spoke to earned more than 8000 per month. You do the math.

The work week is usually Mon-Sat 8 or 9 AM till 6-7PM including half day on SAT's.

Do you consider that to be FAIR?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Exactly, it's best to deal with the primary source. Why deal with intermediaries who will only benefit from all of this exposure as being the good guys.

Of course they won't be extorting any of the money. At least the Vicinis that I know wouldn't do that BUT they will benefit greatly from APPEARING to be the darling in this crisis.

I have spoken to at least half a dozen of their blue collar workers and not one that I spoke to earned more than 8000 per month. You do the math.

The work week is usually Mon-Sat 8 or 9 AM till 6-7PM including half day on SAT's.

Do you consider that to be FAIR?

Onion, although not trying to justify VICINIS in that matter, that's the case with 80% of the Dominican work force right now, it is not limited to the VICINIS.

If we start comparing DR wages with US wages the outrage would end by next month.

Jan 3, 2003
Onion, although not trying to justify VICINIS in that matter, that's the case with 80% of the Dominican work force right now, it is not limited to the VICINIS.

If we start comparing DR wages with US wages the outrage would end by next month.

Yes, but they earn U.S. style profits while paying out sub-human wages.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Again, not different at all to the biggest business in the DR. (Cerveceria, Grupo Corripio).
I didn't wanted to say this, but there is something funny about Onions/Carrot, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

First lashes against the Vicinis, then says the Vicinis he "knows" would not do what he accuses them of attempting to do, and then lashes out again. There is only one Vicini family (including extended) on the entire island and a handful run the company, so what Vicinis is he talking about is beyond comprehension. If you know a Vicini, then you have a connection to THE Vicini family; there are no others. What's all this "the Vicinis I know" nonsense?

And then the choice of words. Subhuman wages? US style profits? Is this the same guy that attempted to debate on the economics thread? What person with thorough knowledge of economics would use such terms? What person with thorough knowledge of the Dominican economy would not know why the wages are as they are? None, because the economic laws that dictates all of this are perfectly understood.

And to say nothing of other words that are not normally found in certain circles in which you will meet THE families, such as "cuz", "aint", etc. This is akin to the ghetto version of the young inner city America.

There is something odd about O/C, so don't get too raffled by his comments... at least not yet.

Jan 3, 2003
I didn't wanted to say this, but there is something funny about Onions/Carrot, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

The only funny thing about this entire debate is your utter lack of response to an economy which is propped up by foreign debt. While imports and exports are declining in percentage quantities akin to depression era numbers, the DR records growth year after year.

What is the reason? BORROWED MONEY!

BORROWED MONEY which has crimped future productivity. The only option the DR has at present is to continue borrowing money to pay back borrowed money, roll-over existing debt and HOPE, PRAY they can re-finance that debt under more favorable terms with a much longer duration.

There is a crowding out effect that borrowed money creates.

REAL PRODUCTION can never outpace the pernicious effects of BORROWED MONEY compounded by interest payments. Eventually, all monies garnished by productive sectors are needed to service debt and before that inflection point arrives, DEFAULT ENSUES!!

EXHIBIT A- Argentina!

There is only one Vicini family (including extended) on the entire island and a handful run the company, so what Vicinis is he talking about is beyond comprehension.

They don't all think the same. Neither does any of the other well established families on the island. I don't have to divulge my personal associations to you or to anyone else on this forum.

And then the choice of words. Subhuman wages? US style profits? Is this the same guy that attempted to debate on the economics thread? What person with thorough knowledge of economics would use such terms? What person with thorough knowledge of the Dominican economy would not know why the wages are as they are? None, because the economic laws that dictates all of this are perfectly understood.

They are only understood by a person like yourself that defends the pittance that the DR worker earns. Your lack of answering thoroughly what I have posted has caused you to engage in AD HOMINEMS.

Any thinking person can see right through your baseless arguments which consists only of froth, blather and claptrap. I respect your economic analysis but I feel it lacks the depth necessary while analyzing the DR economy.

You only regurgitate what the CB and other entitiies publish while not trying to connect the dots. You have blinded yourself to the fact that the economic growth the DR has gained has been at the expense of the long term sustainability as it concerns its fiscal and economic stability.

There is no defense by which a DR worker should be earning a SLAVE WAGE. It is a poor defense to excuse those who can pay a much higher wage yet don't so as to gain record profits.

Leon Corripio, Grupo Viccini, Hache can pay more BUT don't. Earning 200 dollars a month is a sub-human wage in a country where prices for goods and services are the dollar equivalent of their peso price.

EARN a sub-human PESO wage yet SPEND a DOLLAR equivalent.

This is no way to spur permanent demand. DR's economic growth under Leonel Fernandez has been totally FALSE.

It has been a PONZI economy fomented by PONZI enablers like those on Wall Street who securitize the funding for these 3rd world ghettos, the IMF and other institutions who allow debt to be rolled over because the alternative is default and all other funding mechanisms shoving down debt everywhere they can.

BORROWED MONEY is EASY MONEY until you have to pay it back.

According to your analysis, humans are beholden to economic laws as if it were the law of gravity. Not all alleged laws within economics enslave man. Wages could rise in the DR if those companies which have had record profits were to do so.

Economics is a SOCIAL science not a physical one and while there are laws within economics that are rigid as in supply and demand, there are others which are not.

There are many economists and/or econometricians who mirror my sentiment. I am mainly an adherent of the Austrian Liquidationist schools with some tinges of Neo-Marxist thought as it relates to socio-cultural concerns.

And to say nothing of other words that are not normally found in certain circles in which you will meet THE families, such as "cuz", "aint", etc. This is akin to the ghetto version of the young inner city America.

Your ideas of the families' comportment is accurate. Yet, it isn't Masterpiece Theatre 24-7. Ebonics is a language within the African American context or are you discrediting the gains this group has achieved. There is a debate within academic circles regarding this if you didn't know.

NALs, you need to do some research on these issues before presumptuously arriving at conclusions!

I'll allow you to have the last word on this. I will not comment further on these issues.

Jan 3, 2003
NALs, NALs, NALs-you remind me of Golo

I'll say one thing in your favor. Your posts on economics allow me the opportunity to elucidate my position in an erudite fashion.

Always say what you feel, NALs. I am not offended.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
This is pretty funny. We have one dominican sock fighting another dominican sock.

Has anyone ever met either of these two?

Jan 3, 2003
Sorry about doubling the post.

Always say what you feel, NALs. I am not offended.

I have stated my personal xenophobic convictions openly on this forum since I became a member.

I have also stated the guilt I have felt with this and the bad treatment the DR ppor receive which I have witnessed yet remained silent.

I have been in those "arenas" of the well to do within DR and hear the things they say and at times I have felt very guilty over this. I have enjoyed the company of the elite being a member of the elite.

I have been witness to how certain people are denied entry into certain clubs (TOPS) and restaurants and felt empowered by this. I remember one episode in El Club Nautico that was quite embarrassing.

Yet, I have also felt the guilt associated with my prior feelings of empowerment and privilege. I have ventured anonymously in slum areas and worn the clothing of the simpleton, the farmer, the day laborer, the wage earner and experienced their joy and poverty.

DR1 has allowed me the opportunity to vent my frustrations, expose my foibles and post my feelings and intellect in an anonymous fashion.

I thank Rob and DR1 for that.

Jan 3, 2003
This is pretty funny. We have one dominican sock fighting another dominican sock.

Has anyone ever met either of these two?

LOL, NALs they called you a sock. No one has met me nor probably ever will.

Let's attack the argument which no one here has been able to namely that the DR is propped up by massive infusions of foreign debt.

LOL, maybe we aren't even DOMINICAN, LOL!!

I'm not fighting with NALs but discussing. I don't fight. I actually enjoy NALs posts.

Sock or not, it has made some interesting debates especially when GOLO was here.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The only funny thing about this entire debate is your utter lack of response to an economy which is propped up by foreign debt. While imports and exports are declining in percentage quantities akin to depression era numbers, the DR records growth year after year.

What is the reason? BORROWED MONEY!

BORROWED MONEY which has crimped future productivity. The only option the DR has at present is to continue borrowing money to pay back borrowed money, roll-over existing debt and HOPE, PRAY they can re-finance that debt under more favorable terms with a much longer duration.

There is a crowding out effect that borrowed money creates.

REAL PRODUCTION can never outpace the pernicious effects of BORROWED MONEY compounded by interest payments. Eventually, all monies garnished by productive sectors are needed to service debt and before that inflection point arrives, DEFAULT ENSUES!!

EXHIBIT A- Argentina!

They don't all think the same. Neither does any of the other well established families on the island. I don't have to divulge my personal associations to you or to anyone else on this forum.

They are only understood by a person like yourself that defends the pittance that the DR worker earns. Your lack of answering thoroughly what I have posted has caused you to engage in AD HOMINEMS.

Any thinking person can see right through your baseless arguments which consists only of froth, blather and claptrap. I respect your economic analysis but I feel it lacks the depth necessary while analyzing the DR economy.

You only regurgitate what the CB and other entitiies publish while not trying to connect the dots. You have blinded yourself to the fact that the economic growth the DR has gained has been at the expense of the long term sustainability as it concerns its fiscal and economic stability.

There is no defense by which a DR worker should be earning a SLAVE WAGE. It is a poor defense to excuse those who can pay a much higher wage yet don't so as to gain record profits.

Leon Corripio, Grupo Viccini, Hache can pay more BUT don't. Earning 200 dollars a month is a sub-human wage in a country where prices for goods and services are the dollar equivalent of their peso price.

BORROWED MONEY is EASY MONEY until you have to pay it back.

According to your analysis, humans are beholden to economic laws as if it were the law of gravity. Not all alleged laws within economics enslave man. Wages could rise in the DR if those companies which have had record profits were to do so.

Economics is a SOCIAL science not a physical one and while there are laws within economics that are rigid as in supply and demand, there are others which are not.

There are many economists and/or econometricians who mirror my sentiment. I am mainly an adherent of the Austrian Liquidationist schools with some tinges of Neo-Marxist thought as it relates to socio-cultural concerns.

Your ideas of the families' comportment is accurate. Yet, it isn't Masterpiece Theatre 24-7. Ebonics is a language within the African American context or are you discrediting the gains this group has achieved. There is a debate within academic circles regarding this if you didn't know.

NALs, you need to do some research on these issues before presumptuously arriving at conclusions!

I'll allow you to have the last word on this. I will not comment further on these issues.

I tend to agree. Its very hard to earn 300 pesos a day and then spend $5 for a box of breakfast cereal.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Had I known that I could had received a free and "quality" education on economics by simply reading DR1, I would had studied something else! :cheeky:

Onions/Carrots said:
Leon Corripio, Grupo Viccini...
I wonder if that "mistake" is legitimate or indicative of something else?

Onions/Carrots said:
Quick hint: Most Dominicans consume mostly locally produced goods. :surprised

This shouldn't be a surprise in a country where the national food is rice, beans and meant; the most popular beer is Presidente, the most popular rum in Brugal, where almost everyone eats pl?tano with Induveca salami, cook with Mercasid oils, builds with Cemento Col?n, etc. etc.

Onions/Carrots said:
DR's economic growth under Leonel Fernandez has been totally FALSE.
So now this is political, interesting.

Onions/Carrots said:
According to your analysis, humans are beholden to economic laws as if it were the law of gravity.
Here is another hint: economic principles are in action every time you make a decision. You can only make a decision when you have unlimited wants and scarce resources at hand, and you will pick, most of the time, the decision that gives you the biggest return.

In short, you will do what works for you given the circumstances. The decision process IS economics.

This is why economic laws are based on human nature, that "nature" is what humans choose to do given the circumstance.

But, this is not an economics thread.

My initial suspicions has been confirmed. :classic:

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If some of the younger social elite are to be judged by their Facebook comments, then the future looks a little scary.

facebook.jpg

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
that facebook posting is about as accurate as our astroturfing "high level inside info" trio-- O&C, Nals & pichardo!

try searching any of those names and see if the pictures match up in facebook. :)