Grupo Vicini Helps

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If some of the younger social elite are to be judged by their Facebook comments, then the future looks a little scary.

facebook.jpg
Its funny how the names look, well, funny. Accents where technically an accent goes, but the actual person didn't included in their account. ?What educated Dominican would actually name their daughter Stefhania? Not a Bisono, that's for sure.

Whomever did this better hope there is no smoking gun. Anti-defamation laws are upheld in the DR and elsewhere.

Here's another discovery:

Oooh, juicy! :cheeky:

Jan 3, 2003
It's quite sad to read those comments. I used to hear those comments in real time. If the facebook post are real or not, in private conversations they stated no less.

My xenophobia flares up when I have had to deal with the belligerent assinine demanding self centered egotistical Haitians. For the most part if your attitude is humble, I am "straight" with you.

The elite in the DR, not all but most, behave in a most reprehensible manner, insensitive because they have not been faced with the misery that accompanies an empty stomach, an empty house, an empty future.

Hope the use of the word straight further confirms NALs nonsense.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's been doing the rounds. It may well be a fabrication but I wouldn't put forward the spelling of "Stefhania" as conclusive proof - it's common for teenage girls to alter the spelling of their names for effect. But yes - Le?n Jim?nes without the second accent and Bison? without the accent does look suspect.

Jan 3, 2003
It's been doing the rounds. It may well be a fabrication but I wouldn't put forward the spelling of "Stefhania" as conclusive proof - it's common for teenage girls to alter the spelling of their names for effect. But yes - Le?n Jim?nes without the second accent and Bison? without the accent does look suspect.

Can you provide the link to it on facebook?

The accent doesn't look suspect. Why would they care to put that in there?

The comments aren't suspect either. Many of the elite in DR voice this opinion.

I only remember one individual whom I will never forget because he was the odd one out who voiced a message of compassion and kindness. It felt good listening to him.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I got the screen shot via e-mail. I was wrong about Jimenes, it ends with an s and doesn't take an accent. But not everyone is that meticulous about accents on FB, even some of my educated Dominican friends.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's not what I meant to say, but to be blunt, Carlos real account doesn't have the accent on the O, or anywhere. Plus, none of them have Carolina Lantigua as friends, so how would they be able to make a comment on her wall?

This is fake from top to bottom.

Now the question should be, who did it? There's no need to ask why this was done, its obvious this is part of the discrediting of the DR.

?

? bient?t

that facebook posting is about as accurate as our astroturfing "high level inside info" trio-- O&C, Nals & pichardo!

try searching any of those names and see if the pictures match up in facebook. :)

I believe O&C and Pichardo are connected to DR's elite, but NALs isn't. He originally tried to give the appearance of being an elite: "moved to Europe to study economics, then on to the states for advanced degrees." Sort of an Oscar de la Renta or Carlos "The Jackal" S?nchez type of scenario: rich family sends son to Europe for refinement and stuff.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I believe O&C and Pichardo are connected to DR's elite, but NALs isn't.

I don't take any of them seriously.

There are people on this site with real influence and these are the ones that should be encouraged and supported.

Here's an example:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/823954-post6.html

Im the Lt. Colonel Juan Gautreaux, im the head of Internal Affairs from AMET, if you send me an email to gautreaux@amet.gov.do i can take care of this case

Think of how excellent for tourists, residents and locals it would be if DR1 had a tight relationship with this guy. No, he's not head of the Vicini family, but he gets things done on the ground.

I'm a big fan and supporter of the DR1 team. With that said, I think they should develop relationships with the serious people, it will make the site 1000% better.

Jan 3, 2003
There are people on this site with real influence and these are the ones that should be encouraged and supported.

I'm a big fan and supporter of the DR1 team. With that said, I think they should develop relationships with the serious people, it will make the site 1000% better.

You believe that Dominican intermediaries are going to help you for free. Most (90%+) won't.

You're not Dominican are you?

My unsolicited advice to you is that unless you know these intermediaries very well, run for the hills when they offer help.

They will tangle you in their web and then who will bail you out?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Why Should they help for free?

You believe that Dominican intermediaries are going to help you for free. Most (90%+) won't.

You're not Dominican are you?

My unsolicited advice to you is that unless you know these intermediaries very well, run for the hills when they offer help.

They will tangle you in their web and then who will bail you out?

Few of the aid workers here are volunteers.. There are Christians who come to work and evangelize. There are some wealthy people who do it for their ego. But the VAST majority of foreign aid workers are in the business of poverty..... I had a friend who worked for USAID,, for instance.. his job was just to find the safe and VERY comfortable homes for the FOREIGN staff of USAID.. He was paid $75k a year! All his housing and utilities were freee.

THe foreign aid that is going to come into HAiti... is it going to empower HAitians or not_

if the past is our teacher...'

the sad answer is no

but perhaps this time... there is SO much money... they are going to have to employ Haitians in more and more positions of power

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not sure how long our Canadian troops will be there because they are not part of the United Nations forces this time, but I can tell you from past experience, and the present situation in Afghanistan that oversight is done with the money the Military hand out to : contractors, locals....etc. The Canadian governments policy is to use and employ as much local help as they can. I don't know how well CIDA does at this in Haiti. Look at the Billions the UN and others have thrown at Gaza and the people are only marginally better off( and don't tell me it's because of the Israelis) Mostly it's because it's hand out and not hand up and not enough control and conditions are placed on the locals that have access to the money. A different blueprint needs to be used in Haiti. One that will get people back in the smaller towns and villages, one that forces parents to put children in school, one that prevents the Restavic system....etc. As much of a capitalist as I am I think that the Israelis system of collective farms (kibbutz) would serve Haiti well( with a few cultural adaptations)

Jan 3, 2003
Few of the aid workers here are volunteers.. There are Christians who come to work and evangelize. There are some wealthy people who do it for their ego. But the VAST majority of foreign aid workers are in the business of poverty..... I had a friend who worked for USAID,, for instance.. his job was just to find the safe and VERY comfortable homes for the FOREIGN staff of USAID.. He was paid $75k a year!

How about actually reading a post before responding to it. My post references the Dominican intermediaries who graciously and gratuitously help ex-pats when they run into trouble in the DR be it legal, social, or any other type of inconvenience such as water, electricity, property rights, etc.

They (Dominicans) offer help yet do not state a price. When you encounter these charlatans of which many will be able to solve your problem yet do not state a PRICE, then run for the hills. They will extract more from you than what was given.

We have a saying in the DR that goes as follows:

Es mejor deber dinero que favores.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...I am I think that the Israelis system of collective farms (kibbutz) would serve Haiti well( with a few cultural adaptations)
I agree 100% !!!
As a matter of fact, I would give Haiti to Israel, as some sort of a colony/protectorate, as Israelis are the only ones with the proper experience to turn back the desert into a fertile land...

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
They (Dominicans) offer help yet do not state a price. When you encounter these charlatans of which many will be able to solve your problem yet do not state a PRICE, then run for the hills. They will extract more from you than what was given.

Its not a problem if you have a lot to offer :)

Mar 1, 2009
If the Vicinis' help so what? Focus on your own individual efforts. There are some very intellectual people here by they way, I've learned so much and you know who you are!!!! Haitians seem so exhausted by this, los pobres caramba I don't think they care right now who helps as long as they help NOW. The americans, israelis, chinese, brasilians,canadians, french and yes we Dominicanos! Should all have our own zones we're we will help and improve the country. That way Celso Maranzinni can help with Haiti's electrical problem too y no se vaya la luz...;)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If the Vicinis' help so what? Focus on your own individual efforts. There are some very intellectual people here by they way, I've learned so much and you know who you are!!!! Haitians seem so exhausted by this, los pobres caramba I don't think they care right now who helps as long as they help NOW. The americans, israelis, chinese, brasilians,canadians, french and yes we Dominicanos! Should all have our own zones we're we will help and improve the country. That way Celso Maranzinni can help with Haiti's electrical problem too y no se vaya la luz...;)

This mindset highlights the overall problem. Aside from crisis recovery, why are Haiti's core problems an issue for the rest of the world?

How will Haiti ever learn to handle itself if the rest of the world does all the work for them?