Habla español?

What's your level of proficiency in Spanish?

• Advanced

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Moderate

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Beginner

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • I don't speak Spanish at all!

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I have a Lifetime Membership in the "Beginner's" stage.

It's only been 15 years now since I first came to the DR (1991), and I started to learn some Spanish before my first visit. I do try......

One on one I get my point across,
.....my point being "Speak Slowly and use simple words". ;) lol

I can read and spell in Spanish better than I can talk and listen in Spanish.

PS: BTW, what is Habla espa?ol?
I'm in the same boat. I've been traveling to the DR since 1992 and I'm still a beginner.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Helpmann

I second that when it comes to passing through customs. I'm cien por ciento turista gringo then and "no habloy mouchoy espanyowle"

Chip

yeah I did that once. That's when in POP the customs agents used to demand money from people.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

I know people who have spoken to you..... Heeeey hiya dooing main? Wassaaaap?

I'll bet that after 1 year here, my Spanish is leaps and bounds above your English after your first 10 years in the United States.

I guess the truth hurts, as evidenced by your reaction to my comment.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Classy reaction you had by the way. It was pretty much what I expected.

Now back to ignoring you for another 5 years.

Larry
What have your "perfect" English done for you?. You were a simple police officer for crying out loud, now living in the DR doing what MOST foreigners do best, if you know what I mean.

How can the truth hurst coming from a character like you?.

I guess that after 5 years of ignoring me, my words still find their ways to you, smart one.

Now, go and learn some Spanish so you can communicate better with those lovelies you befriends.

Last edited:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My Spanish is good and I took the tests to prove it :)

Seriously, if anyone wants to rate their language abilities, here is a great site explaining the different levels.

Incidentally if anyone wishes to teach Spanish as a world language in the US, they are now required to pass the Praxis 2. I was able to take other tests to prove my proficiency. The Praxis 2 is rumored to be a real PITA.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Xcuse Mi, Kan I C Yur Passport Won More Tyme...

Helpmann

I second that when it comes to passing through customs. I'm cien por ciento turista gringo then and "no habloy mouchoy espanyowle"

Chip
It's sad, when hustlers don't know enough English to shake down tourists.

-Helpmann :cheeky:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
My Spanish is good and I took the tests to prove it :)

Seriously, if anyone wants to rate their language abilities, here is a great site explaining the different levels.

Incidentally if anyone wishes to teach Spanish as a world language in the US, they are now required to pass the Praxis 2. I was able to take other tests to prove my proficiency. The Praxis 2 is rumored to be a real PITA.

Cool site MG. Thanks!

I am looking forward to seeing you again over Thanksgiving :).

Larry

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

I've heard the same thing, a big pain in the "butt".

Learning Spanish is NOT as easy of some people think.

There's a lot verbs and nouns and "all that jazz" to learn.

I can not help but laugh at those people thinking that "I live in the DR, I will learn Spanish better blah blah blah" as if Dominicans speak the best Spanish!. I guess they saying "como utede tan?" is the same as saying "como ustedes estan?"

Go to any Dominican TV channels and see for yourself what I am talking about. The only people that I have seen use VERY good Spanish are those programs with people talking about politics and debates.

The other day, I was watching a program and an Economist was the guest. Let me just tell you that that guy left me with my mouth open!. It was such a delight to hear a Dominican speak Spanish so well. I had "listened" others that were VERY good but that old man just surprised the hell out of me.

Then I switched to Sabado De Corporan and it went downhill, haha!.

There's Spanish and there's Dominican Spanish. As in all countries.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I have a "funny" one!.

Hey NALs:

I believe it's "Hablas Espanol?".

You Dominican you, wahahaha!.

Maybe Lesly (?) can help us with that one.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NALs is being polite. What is missing, is the inverted "?" at the beginning of the question. And the "E" in español should be lower case, IIANM.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I'm pleased to hear that there are other modest Spanish speakers -- I entered myself as beginner too (it's been only 20 years since I began "getting by" in the DR and Cuba), but after a couple of weeks back I'll call myself beginner plus maybe. The ear gets back in tune.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chirimoya

... as in ?Hablas espanol?

When the "Policia" stop me the only Spanish word I know is "AMERICANO!" as I point to myself.

Years back when they were stopping and asking for a "friendly" handskake. I did the same thing. The officer kept saying 'dinero', I kept saying Americano". Finally he said "MONEY", I repeated "Americano". He finally gave up. :chinese:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I?m a beginner. I studied Spanish in high school, college and university. I participate in Spanish/English language exchanges with illegal immigrants working here in Toronto from Chile, Costa Rica and Mexico. But still I have many problems with this beautiful language, as I don?t know the various conjugations of verbs. When I speak, I always use the present tense and I have to negotiate my way around references to the past and future. Actually it?s not a bad to live -- in the present. I would love to come to DR and learn more Spanish, the Dominican expressions, and perhaps teach English.

But really I just want to learn how dance that reverse mambo you call salsa.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I?m a beginner. I studied Spanish in high school, college and university. I participate in Spanish/English language exchanges with illegal immigrants working here in Toronto from Chile, Costa Rica and Mexico. But still I have many problems with this beautiful language, as I don?t know the various conjugations of verbs. When I speak, I always use the present tense and I have to negotiate my way around references to the past and future. Actually it?s not a bad to live -- in the present. I would love to come to DR and learn more Spanish, the Dominican expressions, and perhaps teach English.

But really I just want to learn how dance that reverse mambo you call salsa.

YO QUERER TENER MUCHOS AMIGOS. :bunny:
YO QUERER APRENDER ESPANOL. :cheeky:
YO QUERER MUCHO A TI. ;)
YO QUERER ESTAR SOLO CONTIGO MI AMOR. :)
YO SER MUY INTELIGENTE. :glasses:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
YO QUERER ESTAR SOLO CONTIGO MI AMOR. :)

From what I have been led to understand, a statement very similar to that means you want something very "personal/intimate" when a guy says it to a young lady friend. :confused: At least in the barrios, if not else where.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Whoa, hold on a minute! I know you two are just joking with each other . But, as a beginner I have to ask this question. Why do you use the infinitive "querer" in your sentences? Should the verb not be conjugated as yo "quiero" etc--? I'm not trying to be smart just trying to learn . Thank you in advance for your response.

Elizabeth

Last edited:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
That's part of the joke. You are correct, normally it would be conjugated.

Whoa, hold on a minute! I know you two are just joking with each other . But, as a beginner I have to ask this question. Why do you use the infinitive "querer" in your sentences? Should the verb not be conjugated as yo "quiero" etc--? I'm not trying to be smart just trying to learn . Thank you in advance for your response.

Elizabeth

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

Elizabeth

No Elizabeth, I think in this case, M.A.R. has taken what I said and has provided a witty, tongue-in-cheek rendition of what I would say as a beginner level Spanish-speaking gringa, based on her perception of margaret as someone who wants to learn Spanish to get ****ed by a Spanish-speaking amigo. In this case, I would use the infinitive ?querer? because of course I wouldn?t know how to conjugate the present tense. If M.A.R. knew anything about me, she would know I?m more understanding and more forgiving than I am intelligent.

I would say: Deseo ir a Los Corbanitos contigo, y nunca ver el agua. :bunny:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
No Elizabeth, I think in this case, M.A.R. has taken what I said and has provided a witty, tongue-in-cheek rendition of what I would say as a beginner level Spanish-speaking gringa, based on her perception of margaret as someone who wants to learn Spanish to get ****ed by a Spanish-speaking amigo. In this case, I would use the infinitive ?querer? because of course I wouldn?t know how to conjugate the present tense. If M.A.R. knew anything about me, she would know I?m more understanding and more forgiving than I am intelligent.

I would say: Deseo ir a Los Corbanitos contigo, y nunca ver el agua. :bunny:

what are cobarnitos or di you mean you want to go to the caba?itas and never return???

Margararet you took this the wrong way, I abosolutly didn't mean to insult you.

but yes Elizabeth here is how it should be said:
YO QUERER TENER MUCHOS AMIGOS. Yo quiero tener muchos amigos.
YO QUERER APRENDER ESPANOL. Yo quiero aprender espanol.
YO QUERER MUCHO A TI. Yo te quiero mucho.
YO QUERER ESTAR SOLO CONTIGO MI AMOR.Yo quiero estar solo contigo.
YO SER MUY INTELIGENTE. Yo soy muy inteligente.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Los Corbanitos

what are cobarnitos or di you mean you want to go to the caba?itas and never return???

Margararet you took this the wrong way, I abosolutly didn't mean to insult you. (and that's why I still love you M.A.R.)[/I]

but yes Elizabeth here is how it should be said:
YO QUERER TENER MUCHOS AMIGOS. Yo quiero tener muchos amigos.
YO QUERER APRENDER ESPANOL. Yo quiero aprender espanol.
YO QUERER MUCHO A TI. Yo te quiero mucho.
YO QUERER ESTAR SOLO CONTIGO MI AMOR.Yo quiero estar solo contigo.
YO SER MUY INTELIGENTE. Yo soy muy inteligente.

Los Corbanitos

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2/3203/320/013.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2/3203/320/008.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2/3203/320/004.jpg

Sensitively yours, :hurt: :cry:

~margaret ;) :)