Habla español?

What's your level of proficiency in Spanish?

• Advanced

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Moderate

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Beginner

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • I don't speak Spanish at all!

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
From what I have been led to understand, a statement very similar to that means you want something very "personal/intimate" when a guy says it to a young lady friend. :confused: At least in the barrios, if not else where.

YO QUIERO ESTAR A SOLAS CONTIGO. I want to be alone with you.
YO QUIERO ESTAR SOLO CONTIGO. I want to be just with you.
or you could say
YO SOLO QUIERO ESTAR CONTIGO. I just want to be with you.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I'm pleased to hear that there are other modest Spanish speakers -- I entered myself as beginner too (it's been only 20 years since I began "getting by" in the DR and Cuba), but after a couple of weeks back I'll call myself beginner plus maybe. The ear gets back in tune.

Me again, I am pleased to inform you I have read your informative comments regarding Cuba and DR on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
YO QUIERO ESTAR A SOLAS CONTIGO. I want to be alone with you.

Yes, that's the one......

In my "broken" Spanish it comes out as: Yo quiero solo contigo!

It's amazing how forgiving the Dominicanas are in the use of their language from a blue eyed gringo.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
esta bien asi.

Yes, that's the one......

In my "broken" Spanish it comes out as: Yo quiero solo contigo!

It's amazing how forgiving the Dominicanas are in the use of their language from a blue eyed gringo.

You know what? I've heard that statement from Mexican tv - Yo quiero solo contigo, means that I just want it with you - Yo solo quiero (sexo) contigo or yo solo quiero (una relacion) contigo.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I took a beginner Spanish class some time ago. I am working on getting to more intermediate level.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Because I hardly ever around Spanish speaking folks here in Tampa, it takes me about 2 days back in the DR for my ears and brains to start re-understanding some Spanish.

It's hard learning, and more importantly remembering a language without being around it all the time.