Had to use the escopeta last night

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've changed a lot since I've moved here and now I can honestly say I would have no problem dragging a body away now if some degenerate came in to rob and kill us.
Also extremely easy to pay little to get that done.

And there you have it. That is what happens here to many over time and after they realize they are not in La-La Land any more. I completely understand that change.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
And this is why stun gun and flashlight combo is on it's way.

Hard to ship, finally got one from Cabela's in PA .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've changed a lot since I've moved here and now I can honestly say I would have no problem dragging a body away now if some degenerate came in to rob and kill us.
Also extremely easy to pay little to get that done.

100% agreed. Although I understand the OP's point by popping off a few just to shake things up a bit.
I'm a firm believer in, if you're gonna show/ pull gun in a situation where you feel threatened
its best to shoot the person rather then give them an opportunity to return and do you harm.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree.
I would rather not have the gun Cristo..... might create more problems than it solves.

My neighbor - former LA bodyguard and former professional fighter - will not allow his watchmen to have one...
Too dangerous he says.

If they know you have a gun, they'll come with one..... is his mindset

Truth is, most of these watchmen wouldn't fare well in a tussle

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'd worry that they might want the gun.......

exactly!! that is how it works in this part of the world. guys know you have a gun, and you become an endangered species. this is not like America, where people are scared of you because they know you have heat. guys with guns fear for their lives, because other guys want them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As a foreigner, unlike the states, I'd prolly NOT own a gun here unless I had some serious friends in really high places...whose indebtedness I could afford. However, if I were a Dominican I wouldn't think twice about gun ownership.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Well I totally disagree with some friends here..I need the shot-gun to protect my family as I live in the campo. Even if they will get through the dogs and escopeta, there is still a .38. * No way someone is gonna change my life.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anything that works Fulano......only you know your circumstances

What's important is peace of mind.

Happy New Year

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Shooting a thief is in no way a better outcome. Best for all that you scared them. If you shot them you realize the first thing the responding cops would do is arrest you.
If you shoot a thief in self defense there is one less murdering thief to worry about. Many people say that if an expat here kills in self defense there will be hell to pay for him. However, I can only recall three verifiable cases of such an occurrence being cited here, and none of the expats involved suffered unduly. It's true they may have been arrested (better than being autopsied), but they were handled according to their disposition (suffice it to say that none were prosecuted for the shooting), after a quick investigation. If you can cite a case that contradicts (or not) what we've already been shown, I for one am always interested in hearing how this world works.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I agree.
I would rather not have the gun Cristo..... might create more problems than it solves.

My neighbor - former LA bodyguard and former professional fighter - will not allow his watchmen to have one...
Too dangerous he says.

If they know you have a gun, they'll come with one..... is his mindset

Truth is, most of these watchmen wouldn't fare well in a tussle

Indeed. Guns might create more problems but sometimes they are the only solution.
Better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have one.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have never heard even one gringo say they were well treated by the DR justice system. I am a gun person and I have fired into my back yard after hearing noises. I do not go armed to investigate night noises. Only saying it's not the US and there is no presumption of innocence. The tone here is a bit cavalier discussing shootings. A person in your house at night is the castle doctrine in the US. In the DR it's vastly different. Dominicans and foreigners are not on an equal footing here. In addition if you kill a Dominican no matter the circumstance the deceased family will exact revenge and it's not in court. A reinforced bedroom, in house watch dog and motion sensor lights works much better.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have never heard even one gringo say they were well treated by the DR justice system. I am a gun person and I have fired into my back yard after hearing noises. I do not go armed to investigate night noises. Only saying it's not the US and there is no presumption of innocence. The tone here is a bit cavalier discussing shootings. A person in your house at night is the castle doctrine in the US. In the DR it's vastly different. Dominicans and foreigners are not on an equal footing here. In addition if you kill a Dominican no matter the circumstance the deceased family will exact revenge and it's not in court. A reinforced bedroom, in house watch dog and motion sensor lights works much better.

zoom, you have said it all. it is not the court system you have to worry about. it is the relatives of the guy you killed. even if he stabbed you 5 times before you shot him, the family will hold out that he was and innocent victim, and they would seek to exact revenge.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
As you should.

There is no way my wife would agree to live on the farm if we didn't have a rifle. You gotta trust their local intelligence . I sleep better. We have three dogs and lights on all night around the house. Motion sensors wouldn't work for that reason. The only access is via ladders.

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
You will be surprised in DR I know of a Dominican who was in the process of being robbed by a fellow Dominican who's father happens to be a police man. He was in prison for over a year and payed a lot of money to gain his freedom, clear self defence with multiple witnesses from a drug addict who robbed for a living, so it depends who is killed and who he or she is connected to. Irrelevant weather Dominican or foreigner.
Take for example armed fugitives here in most cases warnings are given to family and friends to hand thems in then after its shoot to kill watch the news here it's televised.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
zoom, you have said it all. it is not the court system you have to worry about. it is the relatives of the guy you killed. even if he stabbed you 5 times before you shot him, the family will hold out that he was and innocent victim, and they would seek to exact revenge.

This is were belonging to a big clan comes in.

If your family is bigger/more powerful than theirs then there is little need to worry.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Well I totally disagree with some friends here..I need the shot-gun to protect my family as I live in the campo. Even if they will get through the dogs and escopeta, there is still a .38. * No way someone is gonna change my life.

Agreed.. You could try loading beanbag rounds in the shotgun. Non leathal and gets the job done. I would however have the 38 tucked in close just in case the beanbags didn't make the intruder run away. I have seen a would-be intruder knocked off of the rear swim deck of a boat before from a beanbag round. Something else that is non leathal and works well is Bear Spray. Large canisters, shoots 60 ft. Effectively, and will take the fight out of a person quickly. Can't ship by plane though.. it's widely used by cruisers.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is were belonging to a big clan comes in.

If your family is bigger/more powerful than theirs then there is little need to worry.

i don?t believe that a transplanted foreigner is going to be able to bring the weight of his clan to the proceedings.