Haiti - how you can help

Reina

Feb 2, 2007
Foster care

Does anyone have any information on how I could possibly become a foster parent for one of the children who have been orphaned or who they have not yet been able to contact a family member? I live in Puerto Plata and I am able to take in one child for as long as they need me to. If you have any ideas of who I could contact, please leave me a message here or email me at tiggerrae12@yahoo.com

Thanks

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Does anyone have any information on how I could possibly become a foster parent for one of the children who have been orphaned or who they have not yet been able to contact a family member? I live in Puerto Plata and I am able to take in one child for as long as they need me to. If you have any ideas of who I could contact, please leave me a message here or email me at tiggerrae12@yahoo.com

Thanks

contact world vision

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Donate blood

One of the best donations people in the DR can give to Haiti is blood. To donate blood:
Be over 17 years, and more than 100 lbs.
To donate blood one must go without having had any breakfast, not have had hepatitis, tuberculosis, anemia, had tooth taken out in the past 3 days, any tatoos in the past 6 months, syphilis or sexually transmitted disease, hemorrahage or blood transfusion in the past 12 months, surgery, having given birth or had an abortion, be pregnant. You will be tested before the donation of blood.
To donate blood in Santo Domingo, go to
Banco de Sancre Cruz Roja Dominicana. Calle Juan Henriquez Dunant No. 51, Miraflores. Atention: Sonia Pichardo. Tel 809 334-4545.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
One of the best donations people in the DR can give to Haiti is blood. To donate blood:
Be over 17 years, and more than 100 lbs.
To donate blood one must go without having had any breakfast, not have had hepatitis, tuberculosis, anemia, had tooth taken out in the past 3 days, any tatoos in the past 6 months, syphilis or sexually transmitted disease, hemorrahage or blood transfusion in the past 12 months, surgery, having given birth or had an abortion, be pregnant. You will be tested before the donation of blood.
To donate blood in Santo Domingo, go to
Banco de Sancre Cruz Roja Dominicana. Calle Juan Henriquez Dunant No. 51, Miraflores. Atention: Sonia Pichardo. Tel 809 334-4545.

Anyone know of blood donation spots on the North Coast ??

Thank you

CG

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Thanks

A noble and generous gesture on your part, Reina, but at this point in time, as you rightly agreed in our conversation a short while ago, there is so much confusion, not knowing if family members are dead or alive, it may be better to post a new thread a little later with your offer/ intentions of what you are prepared to offer to a foster child. I wish you success.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
If you have Haitians in your community

and who here does not?

You can help them by helping them locate their relatives and posting their own names here

Locate your relatives

You can also help them by offering to transport them to the RED CROSS in SAnto Domingo to donate blood.

This operation in SD is under the supervision of the International Red Cross now

I was there, I saw all sorts of internationals swarming about with logos and Sat phones.

The desk for donations to Haiti is completely separate

ANYTHING that you can do to help the HAitians STAY out of PAP will mean lives saved.

THEY CANNOT CARRY ENOUGH WATER TO SUSTAIN THEMSELVES

THEY CANNOT HELP

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Waiting for confirmation of contact info previously posted... will repost request when verified. Sorry for any confusion...

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Sorry, this is what I meant to post before. All information has been confirmed.

I received the following e-mail from a former coworker who spent significant time working in the peace-building and human rights sector in Haiti.

Many of you have asked about how you could help in Haiti. A reliable member of my Haiti network has a trustworthy Haitian contact whose family runs a hospital in Haiti. If you are interested, below are the details, including a bank account where you can wire your donations.

=====

This is an appeal letter. I know that many people read my account of my 12 hours from the time of the earthquake to the next morning when I felt the need to share with friends and family in the US. What I have been doing since is not easy to talk about because I have never imagined myself in such a situation. As many people know, my mother is the founding member of a foundation which runs a hospital near where my family lives. The hospital is not free because it doesn?t get enough external funding to sustain it. Everyday gasoline powered generators run to keep electricity going and there are full-time employees who have to be paid.

The night of the earthquake, my sister, Brigitte, who is an ophtalmologist spent the whole night with the regular hospital employees, receiving patients. When she came home to shower and eat the next day at noon, and I decided to go back with her to help. Many of the lower level staff had gone home and not come back for the day and I found that the most useful thing I could do was pick up trash, all kinds of stuff was on the ground inside and out. The doctors and volunteers where just attending to the emergencies with very little help, and patients where not even being registered. Some hopital staff have died in the earthquake and some have lost family members. A young female assistant manager was killed with her preschool child.

Yesterday morning, Brigitte and I had a meeting with our extended family and we made a plan to improve services, with or without the hospital?s regular staff. We created a trillage system and decided which relative would be at the first trillage stop, which would be in charge of supplies for the doctors, which would sort donated clothing, which would photograph dead bodies, etc... Even the elderly and children in our extended families who were not going to the hospital had jobs of creating tags to be given out at the trillage station and making small packets of pain killers to be given away. The hospital staff was more present and we all did an enormous amount of work with many more volunteers.

It no longer feels like hell, it feels like there is order and that people are being helped. I spent my morning filling out admission forms with patients, new and old. Patients have no resources. Banks are not open, people have lost everything, these are not ordinary times. We decided tonight that we would do an appeal to friends in the US so that we can assure to insure continued operations of this facility.

My aunt Dr. Ginette Diederich has openend a special bank account today in Miami: Hopital de la Communaut? Relief-G. Diederich
Account number 1000103902598
Suntrust Bank 11333 South Dixie Highway
Pinecrest FL 33156

Haitian Health and Education foundation is a non-profit registered in the US for tax deduction purposes. Tax ID#650627901

Josiane

L?Hopital de la Communaut? Haitienne is a 50-bed hospital in the Fr?res Neighborhood of Petion-Ville. It is a non-profit hospital created by the Haitian Health and Education Foundation (Fondation Haitienne pour la Sant? et l?Education, FHASE) in 1985. It has always had emergency services as an important part of its mission, and opened Haiti?s first intensive care unit last year.

The hospital attempts to be self-sustaining by charging patients minimal fees for services.

For the last 3 days the hospital has been one of the few in the Port-au-Prince and Petion-Ville with no structural damage with working teams of physicians and nurses, and volunteers night and day. Thousands of wounded people have overtaxed the hospital?s capacity to respond to the emergency. People have come with multiple traumas but mainly with broken limbs and head injuries from fallen cement. There are not enough beds, and people are on makeshift mats on the floor. One young man who is said to be the sole survivor of his family was on a bed without a mattress, on a plank of wood.

The disaster that has fallen on Haiti is of enormous proportions. We are raising funds to be able to offer free services We have received gifts of supplies and medicines but these gifts cannot possibly cover all the needs. Orthopedic supplies are in great demand. The people who arrive at the hospital are in desperate situations. Many have lost their homes and family members. Some people are camping in the hospital yard because they do not know where to go after receiving care. People of all ages are being dropped at the hospital by those who are pullling them for the rubble. We hope you can contribute funds to help us continue helping people who are in desperate need of care.
L?Hopital de la Communaut? Haitienne: Helping the People of Haiti for Over 30 Years
Facebook Group: Haitien Community Hospital (HCH)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From my inbox
Dear friends,
I have just returned from Haiti last night, where I was delivering medical supplies, food and support for Relief International, and other local institutions.

I met the Israeli Ambassador there by chance and he invited me to visit the Israeli Field Hospital at Port-au-Prince and he kindly requested I focused our efforts to support it and gave instructions to the supplies manager to give me a list of what they need.

You can see a few videos I made of the Israeli Field Hospital at:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I now call upon you to help us complete the list of medicines, medical supplies and support hardware requested by the hospital.

Please find the list attached and let us know how you can help.

I plan to leave with a small convoy of vehicles and trucks on Wednesday to deliver these supplies.

I have 4 volunteer doctors (1 geriatrics, 1 family practice, 1 maxilofacial surgeon, 1 vascular surgeon) arriving on Wednesday and I am bringing them to Port-au-Prince as well.

I will then head back to Santo Domingo as I have 14 volunteer firefighters arriving on Friday that I have to get across the border - I think I can send them by plane, hopefully.

Any support you can provide in terms of purchasing the items on the list, joining our group, driving with us or providing a vehicle is highly appreciated.

We have an active team of 20 volunteers.

You can also donate fuel or funds or any other item which might be valuable, although the critical and most appreciated items are those on the list.

I am currently in a meeting with Vin Diesel, the famous actor, who is deeply interested and committed to help Haiti as soon as possible.

Should you have any questions, please contact me at carlos@educar.org or +1-809-857-2164.

You can make small donations, or as much as you like, on our website: Ayuda Hait? - Help Haiti - Aider Ha?ti
You can also follow us on Twitter at: Reseau Haitien (ReseauHaitien) on Twitter
And you can join our Facebook group on: Ayuda Hait? - Help Haiti - Aider Ha?ti | Facebook

Regards,

Carlos Miranda Levy
+1-809-857-2164

Medicamentos / Medicine
No. Generic Name Qty/Cant.
1 Amp Morphine 500
2 Amp. Pettudine Hcl 200
3 Amp. Rocuronium (Esmeron) 300
4 Amp. Oxytocin 10IN
(Pitocin) 50
5 Amp Vitamin K 10mg 10
6 Amp Amoxicillin 500 mg 500
7 Amp Ceftriaxone 1gr 500
8 Amp Cefuroxime 750mg 500
9 Amp. Gentamycine 80 50
10 Amp. Promethazine (Phenergan) 20
11 Amp. Vancomycin HCL 500mg 20
12 Susp. Cefalexin 250mg 20
13 Tab. Carbamazepina
Carbamazepinc 50
14 Drops Dimetindene maleate 0.1% 30
15 Amp Ciprofloxacin 50
16 Amp. Clindamycin 600mg 100
17 Alcohol 70% 50
18 Trash Bags for Needles

Bolsas de Basura para Agujas
19 Amp. Atropine 200
20 Amp. Neostigmine 200
21 Amp. Distilled Water

Agua Destilada
10 liters
22 Chlorhexidine 300
23 Propofol 10mg 300
25 clobexidine 300
26 Amp Midazolam 200

Equipment and Supplies
1 Gynecological ultrasound
2 Pulsoxymeter-8
3 Alcohol 70 %
4 Sheets (for beds)-1000
5 Diapers For Adults -100
6 Diapers For baby-100
7 Thermometer (digital)
8 Orthopedic Screwdriver
9 Medical Protective glasses
10 Headlights (personal)-80
11 Toys
12 Candies
13 Refrigerators-2
14 Tubus 4/4, 5/5
15 Fan and air conditioner 10
16 Tables 50
17 chairs 100
18 Infusi?n set - 50
19 Amburresovour bag
20 Ventilalors filtres HME -50
21 Oxigen Marsk-50
22 Blood Vacutainers ? (taking blood samples )
23 Sterile scrubs for staff-400
24 Sterile bed sreets 300
25 Orthopedical Napkin -300
26 Sterile gloves 2000
27 Micropory Blaster
28 Pasta Baby
29 Surgical scaples
30 Back board (aluminium)
31 Laryngoscope Tandle-15
32 Laryngoscope blade miler 0-5

Miler 1-5, mac 3-10, mac 4-10
33 Cart for small oxygen cylinders -1
34 NIBP device wellchalyn -5
35 Batteries type c-40

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Blood donations

The Dominican Red Cross announced commended today the solidarity of Dominicans donating blood. The Red Cross said that usually there is a flow of 100 persons a day. But that after the Haiti earthquake, the average is now at 500 persons a day. She says that thanks to the solidarity shown by Dominicans, the Red Cross has been able to supply the present demand in Haiti. The Red Cross encourages those in the DR to continue donating.

Red Cross Blood Bank:

Banco de Sangre Cruz Roja Dominicana
Calle Juan Henriquez Dunant No. 51, Miraflores
Contacto: Sonia Pichardo
Tel 809-334-4545

To donate blood, you must be 18 years old, at least 110 lbs, not have had breakfast and not have donated in the past 2 months.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Israeli Field Hospital

I received the following mail tuesday afternoon and called to make a donation of 3 cases of MiniWiz puzzles, Carlos came that same evening to pick them up. Please see the list of things needed!

Dear friends,
I have just returned from Haiti last night, where I was delivering medical supplies, food and support for Relief International, and other local institutions.

I met the Israeli Ambassador there by chance and he invited me to visit the Israeli Field Hospital at Port-au-Prince and he kindly requested I focused our efforts to support it and gave instructions to the supplies manager to give me a list of what they need.

You can see a few videos I made of the Israeli Field Hospital at:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I now call upon you to help us complete the list of medicines, medical supplies and support hardware requested by the hospital.

Please find the list attached and let us know how you can help.

I plan to leave with a small convoy of vehicles and trucks on Wednesday to deliver these supplies.

I have 4 volunteer doctors (1 geriatrics, 1 family practice, 1 maxilofacial surgeon, 1 vascular surgeon) arriving on Wednesday and I am bringing them to Port-au-Prince as well.

I will then head back to Santo Domingo as I have 14 volunteer firefighters arriving on Friday that I have to get across the border - I think I can send them by plane, hopefully.

Any support you can provide in terms of purchasing the items on the list, joining our group, driving with us or providing a vehicle is highly appreciated.

We have an active team of 20 volunteers.

You can also donate fuel or funds or any other item which might be valuable, although the critical and most appreciated items are those on the list.

I am currently in a meeting with Vin Diesel, the famous actor, who is deeply interested and committed to help Haiti as soon as possible.

Should you have any questions, please contact me at carlos@educar.org or +1-809-857-2164.

You can make small donations, or as much as you like, on our website: Ayuda Hait? - Help Haiti - Aider Ha?ti
You can also follow us on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/ReseauHaitien
And you can join our Facebook group on: Ayuda Hait? - Help Haiti - Aider Ha?ti | Facebook

Regards,

Carlos Miranda Levy
+1-809-857-2164

Medicamentos / Medicine

Generic Name Qty/Cant.
Amp Morphine 500
Amp. Pettudine Hcl 200
Amp. Rocuronium (Esmeron) 300
Amp. Oxytocin 10IN (Pitocin) 50
Amp Vitamin K 10mg 10
Amp Amoxicillin 500 mg 500
Amp Ceftriaxone 1gr 500
Amp Cefuroxime 750mg 500
Amp. Gentamycine 80 50
Amp. Promethazine (Phenergan) 20
Amp. Vancomycin HCL 500mg 20
Susp. Cefalexin 250mg 20
Tab. Carbamazepina
Carbamazepinc 50
Drops Dimetindene maleate 0.1% 30
Amp Ciprofloxacin 50
Amp. Clindamycin 600mg 100
Alcohol 70% 50
Trash Bags for Needles
Bolsas de Basura para Agujas 50
Amp. Atropine 200
Amp. Neostigmine 200
Amp. Distilled Water
Agua Destilada 10 liters
Chlorhexidine 300
Propofol 10mg 300
clobexidine 300
Amp Midazolam 200

Equipment and Supplies
Gynecological ultrasound
Pulsoxymeter-8
Alcohol 70 %
Sheets (for beds)-1000
Diapers For Adults -100
Diapers For baby-100
Thermometer (digital)
Orthopedic Screwdriver
Medical Protective glasses
Headlights (personal)-80
Toys
Candies
Refrigerators-2
Tubus 4/4, 5/5
Fan and air conditioner 10
Tables 50
chairs 100
Infusi?n set - 50
Amburresovour bag
Ventilalors filtres HME -50
Oxigen Marsk-50
Blood Vacutainers ? (taking blood samples )
Sterile scrubs for staff-400
Sterile bed sreets 300
Orthopedical Napkin -300
Sterile gloves 2000
Micropory Blaster
Pasta Baby
Surgical scaples
Back board (aluminium)
Laryngoscope Tandle-15
Laryngoscope blade miler 0-5
Miler 1-5, mac 3-10, mac 4-10
Cart for small oxygen cylinders -1
NIBP device wellchalyn -5
Batteries type c-40

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Collection points in Las Terrenas or Nagua?

There are a number of collection points in Puerto Plata: TV Circuito Musa (near Plaza Independencia, formerly Parque Central) has a container for tinned food, water and medicines.

Does anyone know if there are similar collection points in Las Terrenas or Nagua? I'm bringing a large sum of US dollars with me this weekend and would like to get the money and/or supplies to Haiti asap. Thank you.
Susan

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
per the posts above in this thread, i know carlos miranda levy and he's solid. susan, if you want someone to send money to, he'd be my choice.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Does anyone know if there are similar collection points in Las Terrenas or Nagua? I'm bringing a large sum of US dollars with me this weekend and would like to get the money and/or supplies to Haiti asap. Thank you.
Susan

The European Dominican Association, which is now chaired by my friend, Monique Michaut, has been regularly sending trucks out of Las Terrenas. You can most likely find them through the international library which is on the second floor of the mall, on the right hand side of the main street opposite the cemetary.

thanks

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thank you Adrian and Annie for your helpful replies--

I wasn't even aware of the International Library and will go by there as soon as I arrive (before DonP's tigers rob me!!?!)-

Susan

AndreaBeazley

Jan 21, 2010
Anyone on the North Coast wishing to help on a basic level....

Dominican Crossroads maintains a depot where we take donations of clean wearable adult and children's clothing, shoes, towels, bed sheets, and old suitcases. We will be packing up and giving out some of these items to Haitians who are returning to Haiti to give assistance to family and friends who have been affected by the Earthquake.

Already we have learned that some of the people we help have lost family members.

Anyone wishing to donate useable items can bring them to Dr. Bob's office next to the Coastal gas station in Sosua. Please be sure that items are clean and neatly folded and packed, so volunteers do not need to take the time to sort and wash donations.

Lindsey
What is the address to send items to?