Haitians take over border towns

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Defense chief agrees with wall at part of Haiti border

Santo Domingo.- Defense minister Sigfrido Pared agreed Tuesday in part to deputy Vinicio Castillo’s proposal to build a wall along theDominican-Haitian border, because in his view would only be viable at the sites where the military presence is "much more difficult."

"To propose a wall along the entire border is somewhat utopian and we must also be clear in that; it’s a decision of the lawmaker, a decision which he’s going to take to Congress and what comes out we’re obliged to comply regardless," the senior officer said.

Pared was interviewed at the National Palace after signing an interagency agreement with vice president Margarita Cede?o, to provide vocational schools for members of the military.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...-chief-agrees-with-wallat-part-of-Haitiborder

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...mise-writes-bill-to-build-wallat-Haiti-border

If they build one, it'll be with Haitian Labour.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If they build one, it'll be with Haitian Labour.

There needs to be a wall to control illegal immigration. So it'll be work for them, no? If it is. This is just you assuming of course.

I believe it will be a mixture of Dominican and Haitian workers.

I'm sure when it gets under way it will be disclosed. But then again, it's not important
A job is a job and what matters is, do it and get paid no matter who does it.

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
They are building it from the south side:laugh: That way when its finished they will be back home:nervous:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Unless they plan to patrol it with armed guards, I am not really sure what good it will do. I can just see the Haitians building staircases on the other side and rappelling down this side. It is a very long border.

Mar 1, 2009
Armed guards?
Armed guards?

Whadda ya mean?

These aren't violent people, these are just dear unfortunates.

Armed guards????
What would the NGO's say??????????

The border should be built, it must be built, it HAS to be built. No offense to the poor, hardworking Haitian man or woman. I'm sure they need to eat too, but this cannot continue. Instead of those of you pro-Haitians saying "it CAN'T be done" or this, that and the other.
Build it so at least it will send a message of tougher enforcement.
I say we learn from the North American, USA government.....Good fences, make good neighbors. In this case, GREAT neighbors.
Build the damn thing. Those of them that rappel or bring ladders, will be on the WRONG SIDE.
Let there be a public/private partnership, cameras, drones, minutemen, volunteers, concerned citizens, informers, rats, a whole bloody network of those that will make it so hard to continue coming in and then helpful, sweet, loving individuals with the softest and plushest of velvet gloves to ask and insist that the darlings to please kindly sweet in the air conditioned bus that will kindly take them back to their country of origin, with of course a ham and cheese sandwich, with an orange fizz drink.

We have to do that since they came over on a first class ticket flight and the human resources people will be upset otherwise.

Enough with the nonsense of bringing up obstacles and impediments, in one of the companies I have I always tell those participating in meetings, your not allowed to bring up a problem unless you can also offer the solution.

People love to kvetch and complain, then just walk away with out resolving the issue.

As the Kung Fu Tze said "there IS no problem".

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Come on guys! Even if there was a huge wall all along the border, that would create a fabulous business for military personal to make a sh!tload of money by selling entries. Army personnel would fight to get assigned to the border to get rich quick.

As of the construction, I believe Dominican politicians would also get rich by over-budget it, and build it as cheap as possible, just like any public building in the nation.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
The family of my "better half" live in Dajabon which is a major border crossing. She has two brothers in service who very often are patrolling the border . According to them every thing is normal and business as usual. Not that things are good, but they are no worse then before.

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
Ever been to Pedernales? Its full and I mean full of military police.. there are few Haitian wandering the streets..Building a wall is a wonderful solution... the government can't provide good hospitals or a sewage system for the country. I took two people injured in an accident to a hospital outside SD. I asked for soap to wash the blood from me. They didn't have soap or running water but they gonna build a wall to keep them freaking Haitians out!!!!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Proposal To Create Fund To Raise Contributions For Haiti RD-Wall Construction

SANTO DOMINGO, DR -. Deputy of the National Progressive Force, Vinicio Castillo suggested creating a fund for anyone who is interested in contributing to the construction of the wall on the border with Haiti, can do it, and that it is managed by a board or other body that has the state.

He revealed that his proposal to build the border wall is having so much support, many people have called him to be available even with economic resources, because people are experiencing the problem in their neighborhood, in their field and in all activities.

"People call me and tell me they want to support and I think why not create a fund through the State which manages a trust or government agency that understands, for the population to contribute. I'm talking about many people who are calling me and telling me they want to contribute in some way, either with blocks, cement or money, "said Castillo week.

He warned Wednesday, when interviewed on Your Right to Know, leading Namphi Rodriguez, Elias Ruiz Matuk, Jos? Gregorio Cabrera, Adelaida Martinez, Edward Tavarez and Francis Xavier, that "if we do not defend our border we will lose our country" and that he does not want his proposal to be distorted as some groups have already done.

"What I've implemented is not a law to order a wall. It is a resolution of high national priority the construction of the wall and the road because I'm not asking for overnight; it may be a national plan of 4 or 5 years, that the country can bear, "he said.

Revealed that the Haitian elite is discussing in their media state policy of mass emigration of Haitians to the livelihoods of the Haitian economy through remittances.

"Here is a group that always wants to blackmail when an initiative to protect the country arises, tries to stigmatize xenophobic and extremist when in actuality it makes perfect sense in the world," said Vinicito.

He explained that his proposal is logical, because "if we are regularizing hundreds of thousands of Haitians who are illegal in the country, obviously if we do not deport for a year and a half; if we open an imaginary border ... we are moving to the Dominican Republic Haiti. It does not take a genius to see that, "said the newly elected legislature.

He stressed that, besides that "we are giving them free and now extended round education; we are giving them health services and labor of our people, "all this will influence who want to keep coming in droves.

He said the wall will be useful not only to strengthen the immigration issue, but to control the illicit trafficking of all that is given by the border, such as weapons, drugs, drinks, among other things.

"Not only the wall, but the economic development of the area must be at anchor an international highway running from Pedernales to Montecristi where the Dominican may have an incentive to be in that region," he said.

He stressed that what he looks for is overall development and security to come and go through a state of dignity and the hand of the state can go to the aid of the border.

He said the country does not have the resources to assist a massive number of immigrants, and now any Haitian citizen can cross and regularized because there is nothing to stop him, not even the language, and that his proposal is to prevent the country from sinking financially.

"Unfortunately, the international community has abandoned Haiti to their fate . U.S. does not want Haitians at their costs, they do not want them in the Caribbean Islands, Venezuela does not want them, Brazil does not want them, Cuba does not want; they want them here in the Dominican Republic. And if we do not defend as Dominicans, nobody will defend us and nobody will defend our country if we do not do it ourselves, "said the congressman.

Proponen crear fondo para recaudar aportes para construcci?n muro RD-Hait? - Cachicha.com

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Armed guards?
Armed guards?

Whadda ya mean?

These aren't violent people, these are just dear unfortunates.

Armed guards????
What would the NGO's say??????????

The border should be built, it must be built, it HAS to be built. No offense to the poor, hardworking Haitian man or woman. I'm sure they need to eat too, but this cannot continue. Instead of those of you pro-Haitians saying "it CAN'T be done" or this, that and the other.
Build it so at least it will send a message of tougher enforcement.
I say we learn from the North American, USA government.....Good fences, make good neighbors. In this case, GREAT neighbors.
Build the damn thing. Those of them that rappel or bring ladders, will be on the WRONG SIDE.
Let there be a public/private partnership, cameras, drones, minutemen, volunteers, concerned citizens, informers, rats, a whole bloody network of those that will make it so hard to continue coming in and then helpful, sweet, loving individuals with the softest and plushest of velvet gloves to ask and insist that the darlings to please kindly sweet in the air conditioned bus that will kindly take them back to their country of origin, with of course a ham and cheese sandwich, with an orange fizz drink.

We have to do that since they came over on a first class ticket flight and the human resources people will be upset otherwise.

Enough with the nonsense of bringing up obstacles and impediments, in one of the companies I have I always tell those participating in meetings, your not allowed to bring up a problem unless you can also offer the solution.

People love to kvetch and complain, then just walk away with out resolving the issue.

As the Kung Fu Tze said "there IS no problem".

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lando.. you have been to the border, right? You have driven up the road to Banica? You have seen how there is NO ONE there? You have driven out from Dajabon and seen the same? That there are maybe a few houses? So you do not just have to build the wall, you have to militarize it. In that you have to be prepared to shoot or arrest.... Now mostly you don't arrest really, you just deport.

Let's be reasonable here. I am not saying that you don't have a problem but WHAT are you doing educating Haitians in the border towns like I saw in the papers today? Miles de ni?os haitianos vienen diariamente a recibir clases en escuelas frontera - In Monte Christi? Monte Christi is a half hour from the border in a gua gua!! Why is your country doing this?

Why does your country treat Haitians in the hospitals on the border? I do not understand this. It is humanitarian you say. But it is well known that you do it. The pregnant women come in with no prenatal care. And if they are in trouble, your government will transport them by ambulance right to Santo Domingo. Meanwhile, you have hundreds of Haitians who are studying medicine here in Santo Domingo.

And thousands of NGOS who seem to be begging for a chance to help Haiti.

So rather than a WALL on the border, it would seem a whole lot more productive to build HOSPITALS and Schools and LET the International pay for the salaries of the hundreds of teachers and doctors who are Haitians and are HERE in the DR to keep the Haitians on THEIR side of the border.

The other productive thing that you might do is actually take advantage of the laws that you have on the books for investment in the border area ... for putting factories in the border area. Do you not remember when the bean growers in San Juan de Maguana came down to the Capital and dumped beans on the Capital steps because they had no canning facilities? Ironically, at the same time, someone from the Haiti list serve was in touch with the UNFAO about what they were doing about agriculture in Haiti and they answered with this long post about how delicate it was to not introduce any sort plant that was not indigenous.. and that they thought they had found a bean that would grow in Haiti,, it was in Guatemala. Ai Mi Madre. So why not build a Famosa canning plant over to Comendador? There are tax benefits. There would be World Bank Money. And plenty of folks to work in it from Belledaire.

Sure, build a wall if you want. It just won't help. Not if you keep giving free school, free medical, free.. free.. and work. It is like petting a dog and telling it to go away.

Your border guards do not get paid enough to resist bribes. Fifty pesos is a lot of money to them.

Most of the border region is sparsely populated on your side and densely populated on the Haitian side.. poor on the Dominican side, wealthy on the Haitian..

Do you really think that a wall is going to keep them from crossing over and taking over unoccupied land?

You want to keep your land? Occupy it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Proposal To Create Fund To Raise Contributions For Haiti RD-Wall Construction

SANTO DOMINGO, DR -. Deputy of the National Progressive Force, Vinicio Castillo suggested creating a fund for anyone who is interested in contributing to the construction of the wall on the border with Haiti, can do it, and that it is managed by a board or other body that has the state.

He revealed that his proposal to build the border wall is having so much support, many people have called him to be available even with economic resources, because people are experiencing the problem in their neighborhood, in their field and in all activities.

"People call me and tell me they want to support and I think why not create a fund through the State which manages a trust or government agency that understands, for the population to contribute. I'm talking about many people who are calling me and telling me they want to contribute in some way, either with blocks, cement or money, "said Castillo week.

He warned Wednesday, when interviewed on Your Right to Know, leading Namphi Rodriguez, Elias Ruiz Matuk, Jos? Gregorio Cabrera, Adelaida Martinez, Edward Tavarez and Francis Xavier, that "if we do not defend our border we will lose our country" and that he does not want his proposal to be distorted as some groups have already done.

"What I've implemented is not a law to order a wall. It is a resolution of high national priority the construction of the wall and the road because I'm not asking for overnight; it may be a national plan of 4 or 5 years, that the country can bear, "he said.

Revealed that the Haitian elite is discussing in their media state policy of mass emigration of Haitians to the livelihoods of the Haitian economy through remittances.

"Here is a group that always wants to blackmail when an initiative to protect the country arises, tries to stigmatize xenophobic and extremist when in actuality it makes perfect sense in the world," said Vinicito.

He explained that his proposal is logical, because "if we are regularizing hundreds of thousands of Haitians who are illegal in the country, obviously if we do not deport for a year and a half; if we open an imaginary border ... we are moving to the Dominican Republic Haiti. It does not take a genius to see that, "said the newly elected legislature.

He stressed that, besides that "we are giving them free and now extended round education; we are giving them health services and labor of our people, "all this will influence who want to keep coming in droves.

He said the wall will be useful not only to strengthen the immigration issue, but to control the illicit trafficking of all that is given by the border, such as weapons, drugs, drinks, among other things.

"Not only the wall, but the economic development of the area must be at anchor an international highway running from Pedernales to Montecristi where the Dominican may have an incentive to be in that region," he said.

He stressed that what he looks for is overall development and security to come and go through a state of dignity and the hand of the state can go to the aid of the border.

He said the country does not have the resources to assist a massive number of immigrants, and now any Haitian citizen can cross and regularized because there is nothing to stop him, not even the language, and that his proposal is to prevent the country from sinking financially.

"Unfortunately, the international community has abandoned Haiti to their fate . U.S. does not want Haitians at their costs, they do not want them in the Caribbean Islands, Venezuela does not want them, Brazil does not want them, Cuba does not want; they want them here in the Dominican Republic. And if we do not defend as Dominicans, nobody will defend us and nobody will defend our country if we do not do it ourselves, "said the congressman.

Proponen crear fondo para recaudar aportes para construcci?n muro RD-Hait? - Cachicha.com

If he actually starts this fund, I predict it will be well funded from both inside and out of the DR, and the wall built. I also suspect that it might be the one project in DR that might have minimal corruption/stealing, as there will be the aspect of Dominican pride attached to it.

Will be interesting to watch this unfold.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
If he actually starts this fund, I predict it will be well funded from both inside and out of the DR, and the wall built. I also suspect that it might be the one project in DR that might have minimal corruption/stealing, as there will be the aspect of Dominican pride attached to it.

Will be interesting to watch this unfold.

You are correct. Pride in the preservation of the Dominican republic. There are Dominicans
abroad who cannot wait for the contribution to begin and told where they can send the money.

This will be funded by Dominicans. Believe me when I tell you that there will be no
shortage of money.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You are correct. Pride in the preservation of the Dominican republic. There are Dominicans
abroad who cannot wait for the contribution to begin and told where they can send the money.

This will be funded by Dominicans. Believe me when I tell you that there will be no
shortage of money.

That money will turn int 100's of new jipetas and there will be no "wall".

The UN is so worried about the treatment of Haitian nationals in the Dominican Republic that the more advantageous move would be to provide a 1mile easement to the border on each side, call it an "International Zone" and invite the U.N. to patrol it.

Waaay cheaper than a wall.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

In this case, you may be wrong.

The UN is so worried about the treatment of Haitian nationals in the Dominican Republic that the more advantageous move would be to provide a 1mile easement to the border on each side, call it an "International Zone" and invite the U.N. to patrol it.

This isn't a bad idea. I don't see it happening though, unless a war breaks out between DR & Haiti, which is unlikely.

Aug 6, 2006
I will be very surprised if they actually build a wall, and even more so if the wall gets built and serves any real purpose. On the US-Mexico border, the wall has simply made it more expensive for immigrants to cross, as someone digs a tunnel, rents a ladder, or charges for coyote services.

Some sort of patrol would be cheaper and more effective in the long run. Perhaps a couple of razor wire fences would be just as effective as a wall

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

Doesn't that happen with every contribution fund? That some do manage to dip? That goes without saying. But as long as the wall is built is what matters.

Some people just do not know the determination of Dominicans when the majority want it.

It will be what Dominicans want not what others feel is best.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I will be very surprised if they actually build a wall, and even more so if the wall gets built and serves any real purpose. On the US-Mexico border, the wall has simply made it more expensive for immigrants to cross, as someone digs a tunnel, rents a ladder, or charges for coyote services.

Some sort of patrol would be cheaper and more effective in the long run. Perhaps a couple of razor wire fences would be just as effective as a wall

More has been proposed than just the wall upon completion but the main thing right now is erecting the wall first.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

The UN is NOW worried about the treatment of Haitian nationals in the DR??? Give me a break!
They should've thought about that before they approved this regularization plan.

They should've thought to construct jobs for them in Haiti instead.What a bunch of hypocrites!

But not one of those "so concerned" (UN) countries will offer to take those Haitian
nationals to THEIR countries. Go figure.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

The wall in Israel has proven quite effective. Depends on the wall and the motivation to stop infiltrators.