Happy Or Sad In The Dr?

Do you feel satisfied or unsatisfied with your decision to live in the DR?

• Satisfied

Votes: 79 68.1%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 23 19.8%

• Total voters

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The poll indicates that the majority (although only 50 votes at the writing of this post) is satisfied in the DR notwithstanding the many crime posts. Just a small observation.

Yes I think you can be happy to live here but still have noticed an increase in crime. I would hope the figures are the way you say on the poll; I would hope that the unhappy/dissatisfied would leave. Otherwise we would have a group of foreigners who moved here, are now unhappy but remain. There's a word for that............;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I would hope that the unhappy/dissatisfied would leave. Otherwise we would have a group of foreigners who moved here, are now unhappy but remain. There's a word for that............;)

I would hope that this country could be turned around and that we made positive strives towards that effort. Hoping the unhappy/dissatisfied would leave is not a solution, I'm fairly sure there's a word for that also........:chinese:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Is it masochism?
That COULD be one of the words Don Juan especially if you take the "Unhappy/Dissatisfied" as the OP used it - in relation to the DECISION people made about living here. There are a couple of LESS polite words too! :cheeky:

I fully accept that one can be dissatisfied with things here in the DR & it is right to try & change these unless it breaks against Dominican Culture, but to be dissatisfied/unhappy with one's OWN decision about living here & not take the obvious remedy ('Get out of the kitchen if you don't like the heat') is less than logical! If I had been dissatisfied with my decision to live here I would have been gone a LONG time ago!! As it is, the things I am dissatisfied with here I try to change as the opportunities arrise for me to be successful. ~ Grahame.

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
I wish....

I think I would like to take a try at living there...but than again, what do I know....things sometimes just sound better and seem better in therory, but I do know someone who is doing it right now and she is to be admired !!!! she is doing it for the right reasons....kudos to her. !!!!! she is a member of this board, so some of you know of whom I speak...and she is a great gal !!!! glad to call her friend

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Allow me to reiterate.

This a very nonsensical question especially when directed toward DR foreigners.

Does anyone think that any expat would want to live in DR if they were dissatisfied with their day-to-day living? Eh?

Doesn't the perpetrator of this poll know that !00% of foreigners can hop on a plane and git at any time? Unless, of course, you're hiding from justice?

Would anyone in his right mind go there to live without money and expect to have a ball? To be happy?

Even if this foreigner had no money, his embassy can, most likely, ship him home for free!

The only dissatisfied/unhappy people there are those without money and/or a good paying job. With bucks, my friend, anyone can live happily anywhere in the world, even Haiti!

I can tell you this: As much as I'd love live in Santiago today, you wouldn't catch me dead there unless I had a steady revenue stream. This is why (mainly) I still live in frigid Md. overnight temp. 24 Fahrenheit.
I wouldn't trade my fairly-paid gloom here for the uncertainty of balmy DR!

disclaimer: A person can live a privileged life in paradise and still be unhappy but that falls under the jurisdiction of "undiagnosed personality disorder". which is another matter.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It isn't just the money -- some people whom I have met here are just "veggin" or "drinkin" or "screwin" - haven't learned Spanish, aren't involved in the local community, aren't accutually "participating" except as consumers.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Hmm...I lived in the DR until I was 11, that was 12 years ago. I have to say that as much as I miss my family and things that I cannot get here (foodstuff), I would never be able to live there again. Its dificult for me to accept the dirtiness, the mosquitoes, the neverchanging energy problem, the weather (I hate the hot weather/humidity) and just the lack of security. Also the fact that laws are nor respected for the most part, etc. I guess I am too spoiled by now of the American lifestyle, jajajajajaja.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
mis directed fizzled thread

Happy or Sad, Satisified or unsatisfied.

Happiest I have ever been in my life, although a bit unsatisified with the DR in that as wonderful place as it is for survivers, it will never really change.

The dominican people, proud and always right, being always right means that you do not need to change, because you are right you can not see the NEED.

Happy and in the end satisified, because I am.

web

Nov 5, 2005
Satisfied...although sometimes you think is this really worth it, but only for a second or two, then you say yes it is

for instance last night sitting in my yard doing some barbecue. then a lady in a condo across the street yells from her balcony "can you put that fire out, this is a residencial area?" I mean please, this is why I moved here to get away from uptight people like her. i said no I will not, and she was apalled I would say no.

so she calls security and blah blah blah

a small wood fire with coals and charcoal (yes, on a grill) on the ground and on the grill too, sipping a cerveza watching the stars at 10:30 at night

so some of the smoke drifted in her condo, I cannot control the winds

but if you come here, leave your uptight attitudes home

you think I go reporting the guy peeing on the side of the road, or the people cooking on the fire outside for their dinner or burning trash openly, or playing the music too loud

no I deal with it, because here you are pretty much free to do what you want

unless some uptight perra thinks she is in the States, and tries to control you

por favor

leave that crap where you came from and leave me alone

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Nals. Thank you for doing the polls. I may not like the poll but it offers a great opportunity for us to vote and express our beliefs, experiences and how we each see life in the Dominican Republic.

I did not read ALL the posts and do not need too. The question, in itself, is simple. Does it matter if grammer is correct? If one is confused with the question. Don't respond.

Thank you Nals. Ringo

Last edited: