Help me choose from these 7 non-touristy beaches?

euromike

Dec 12, 2017
ok, I have 2 nice hotels figured near Las Terrenas. One is on Playa Coson, the other on Playa Bonita. Is one beach nicer than the other? Because clearly I like one hotel better than other, but I get the impression is on a less attractive beach...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Playa Las Ballenas and Playa Bonita are side by side. Coson is a 15 minute walk to the west. Coson usually has more waves, Las Ballenas and Playa Bonita are swimming pools.

Both are wonderful beaches.

http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

Take note that Taino Park mentioned in the guide is closed.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
ok, I have 2 nice hotels figured near Las Terrenas. One is on Playa Coson, the other on Playa Bonita. Is one beach nicer than the other? Because clearly I like one hotel better than other, but I get the impression is on a less attractive beach...

Playa Coson is just a walk away from Playa Bonita around the point Punta Bonita. Coson is a very long meandering beach which stretches from Punta Bonita all the way to the cliffs at the west end and just below the new toll road viewing point.

I used to rent an apartment on Playa Bonita next to Atlantis hotel and often walked around the point and the full length of Playa Coson, and it is some long walk along a variable but classical tropical beach for enjoying time on the beach and not just picturesque. The swimming is always good near Nomads in a sheltered location yet when one gets around to where Luis restaurant is located the waves can roll in. That stretch is so beautiful on a calm day and the sand so golden and a one can find plenty of sand dollars. Towards the west the beach narrows.

Playa Bonita is equally lovely and the calmest side is the east end near Lomas de Bonita. In the centre of the beach there is a surf school and that tells you that you can get some good surf there.

You cannot walk from Playa Las Ballenas to Playa Bonita unless you clamber through the private residences on the loma.

I am actually staying for a short break in Hotel Alisei as I write, away from the capital for a few days staying next to the apartment I rented on Playa Las Ballenas for a year a few years ago. Still enjoy my daily walk up to Loma de Bonita and a swim in the best part of this beach at the west end. Don't expect to find a special piece of beach for swimming in front of Alisei but it is a lovely small hotel. You have to walk towards the west end for good swimming especially at low tide.

If you stay at Playa Coson or Playa Bonita you are away from the town and really need transport to get about.

For me Coson is the beach. But I do like staying at Atlantis when visiting. You always feel welcome and the food is always good.

We are off to one of those beaches now......one today, one tomorrow.....lunch at Atlantis one day and Luis another.

Great to be back in my chosen home DR with mi esposa for the holidays...beach now....campo at weekend and city after with day trips to the nearby western beaches next week. All after a tougher but enjoyable work long stint in hurricane hit St Croix and St Thomas.......to where I return for shorter stints in the new year.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Just to add an update for those that go to Playa Coson and specifically Luis restaurant. A concrete road recently contructed loops off the road to El Catey starting opposite the Inapa water facility and they are today working on access into Luis restaurant. Its a breezy day and the waves are rolling in and the beach looks fine in both directions. You can look across to Punta Bonita in the distance and the calmer waters by Los Nomades and in the other direction in the distance to the cliffs to the west. Coson is apparently 13km long according to Rough Guide to DR.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L23 using Tapatalk