Help me, please!!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
What I believe he is saying is that regardless of location or economic situation, immigrants are blamed for 'stealing' jobs. I know this was very true in Canada in the early to mid 1990's. This is of course ridiculous. Taking a job in DR and spending those wages in DR will in fact increase the number jobs there, not decrease it.
Mickey

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Saving up your money and spending it there also contributes to the economy. And as for working there, I'm not saying it's bad, it depends on what you are "qualified" to do. If what you are qualified to do is work in a hotel, then best leave the jobs for the Dominicans who cannot leave the island for a better life and are struggling to feed their families. However, not that I condone it, but there are many companies that only hire "gringos", try for one of these positions.

BTW, if you choose to work at a hotel and are paid their low wages, you are never going to contribute a significant amount to the economy.

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
what kind of companies only hire 'gringos'? I would say 95% of the gringos who moves to the DR aren't going to work in hotels for those wages....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Trina?I,m Confused

Please post a list of which companies hire,"Spics",and which hire "Gringos",I am Confused!Or "Frogs", or "Waps",even "Limeys" .............I,m a "WASP" as you must knoqw.Any jobs for "WASPS"?I want to "contribute"!ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
What is it with the name calling. I didn't know there was companies that only hire "gringos". I thought they would hire anyone that is best qualified. That's kind of ignorant to say

Please let me know, because I have plans of moving to DR. Anyone with information on reputable companies that I can look into would be of great help.

Thanks everyone.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
You've gone a little too far on that one, Criss. I am a "gringa" myself, as you know, the majority of Dominicans refer to white people as gringos. Are you offended by that term, because I don't find it offensive, and don't think Dominicans try to offend us by using that term. Never in my life have I used the derogatory terms you used, not even in jokes. If you knew me, you would find I am the farthest thing from a racist.

I was told by the manager of a tour company that they only hire "American-looking" people, because they want a "friendly face" (I didn't know Dominican faces were "unfriendly?") greeting them as they come off the plane. Personally, I have never seen a Dominican working for Air TransAt, Sunquest, or any other tour company as a Transfer Rep. Bus Drivers, sure, but not reps. And if you find that ignorant, talk to the managers or these companies, not me. As I said, I don't condone it, I find it ignorant myself.

As for Canadians/Americans working in hotels, I know of 3 girls and 1 guy who, all at different times, worked in Entertainment in Playa Dorada, Sosua, and Boca Chica. I just think that if you are going to take one of these jobs away from a Dominican (especially when you only make about $200 US/month), save money in the bank and don't work at all instead. I speak from first-hand experience.

Yeeeeeesh! Sometimes this board is like swimming in a wading pool with a school of baracudas.

Last edited:

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
Does anyone know of the website for Air TransAT or Sunquest? I have been a transfer rep before and would quite fancy doing it again