Help! Picking the Best Side of Island

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I was there about 3 weeks ago. Nothing's changed. I spent a lot of time over there in the past developing Samana Net and Samana Online. I much prefer the laid back and less frenetic pace of the more-remote eastern end of the peninsula not to mention the spectacular scenery.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Everyone has a different concept of the ideal beach.
Some people would rather not see a single person, others would like their Pi?a Coladas brought to them.
Some want waves, some want calm.
Never will everybody agree, thank God, or we'd all want to go to the same beach.
The OP's question was to find out which side is the best, and we all know the answer is the North.
I think the question has been answered.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
At least Rocky....we all know the north is best unless you want to be on and in the Carribean and not the Atlantic!!;) :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
At least Rocky....we all know the north is best unless you want to be on and in the Carribean and not the Atlantic!!;) :)
You know that it's just a technicality.
It's not as if there is some magic line, where, all of a sudden the waters change name and become beautiful.
If the OP is looking for a name, then so be it.
If he/she is looking for good beaches, the North coast wins hands down.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, when was the last time you visited the south?
It's been a few years.
Has it changed?
I gave up on Boca Chica a long long time ago as it started onto it's downward tailspin, and I was never a fan of Santo Domingo, although I've been through there 100's of times.
I remember wanting to puke, as I would cross the bridge in San Pedro De Macoris, for the smell of the polluted water.
It never occurred to me that all that pollution was making it's way through Juan Dolio, all the way to Boca Chica, until I read the newspaper warnings that the DR government was issuing about swimming in those waters.
I did like the beaches in La Romana and Punta Cana, and my favorite ocean area was South of Barahona.
I'm hoping to get back to Barahona in the next month or so.
It's the only area that I really like on the South coast.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually the smell at the bridge in San Pedro was from the fermentation process of the rum factory which is no longer there so no more smell......
also several years ago San Pedro undertook a large scale clean up of the river so it's not near as polluted as it was (there is also a water processing plant that pipes water just a little downstream from the bridge).
Don't forget the spit of land that juts out at Boca Chica (where the new port is located as well as the airport) so water currents are actually in two different directions in that area, neither of which impact the beach at BC due to the artificial lagoona that is there.
The water in the bay at Juan Dolio public beach is much better since all the old, small resorts have closed and there is abundant fish and water fowl there now, definite signs of clean water!!