Help The Boys Of Cabarete To A Brighter Future! - Help our campaign

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Ed,

thanks for explaining.

Great idea and I wish good luck with the project.

Will be in the area this July and hopefully will visit your place and to give a small donation.

Alexander

Thank you Alexander!
Please do drop by anytime. We are located directly in front of Scotia Bank and our hours of operation for the summer are 7:45 am to 12:00 pm.

Best regards
Ed

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Ed,

is it possible for either you or the founders to contact me directly because I am working on a project with several people to build a new deaf school in Santo Domingo and need some advices and experiences you guys had.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Do you have any suggestions on how we might continue to effectively operate and provide these services to the community without seeking contributions from others? Thank you.

My point is not that you can expect to do what you are doing without help. My point is that your timing is completely wrong. You should have both got the residency, got the organisation set up and then, and only then, started asking for donations. That is what you would have had to do in the US, and I think it is naive of you to think that just because you are in the DR you can bypass the right way to do things. There is so much corruption here, so many organisations which have taken peoples' money unfairly, it just seems misguided for you to go about things the way you have, and risk people thinking that this is also some sort of scam, because the organisation asking for their money doesn't actually exist.

But, to stress, your intentions are absolutely 100% right. It's your timing that sucks.

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Ed,

is it possible for either you or the founders to contact me directly because I am working on a project with several people to build a new deaf school in Santo Domingo and need some advices and experiences you guys had.

Hello MiamiDRGuy,

The best way to get in touch with them directly would be through the comment button at the left of our webpage. -> InspireDR,org
I am sure Adam and Stefan would happy to help in any way they can.

Regards
Ed Mendez

May 29, 2006
One thing I'd like the boys to learn is if they get some girl pregnant, they'll be on the hook for child support... Time to stop the guys bragging about how many girls they've knocked up~ young and old..

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
We are doing our best to help the boys in our program develop into responsible adults in all areas of life.
They are learning that there are consequences to their actions and are learning to make smarter choices. We are encouraging them to think.
We believe that by contributing to local families this way, helping them mentor and educating boys at a young age, we will see more responsible men in the future.
It is our way of taking action towards solutions and we are sincerely thankful for all the support we can get!

May 21, 2015
Please answer me these questions:

- why only boys?
what about the girls given that the majority of kids are girls here and especially how you justify this?

- values?
please specify the values you plan to teach.

Alexander
Sorry Alex I had to jump in, in my own research when you look at the education equality in DR hands down year after year females enter and complete primary-secondary school over males. I suppose it has to do with the males going to work before the females...No matter if it rural or urban poor or wealthy From grade 1-9 Females are more likely to complete each grade than males. Of course the poor /male was less likely to complete each grade with a 6% completion of grade 9. This is all from the World Bank and it affiliates.
Please answer me these questions:

- why only boys?
what about the girls given that the majority of kids are girls here and especially how you justify this?

- values?
please specify the values you plan to teach.

Alexander
Sorry Alex I had to jump in, in my own research the World Bank indicates boys

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

May 21, 2015
I applaud the work that you want to do. However, you imply that you do not have residency here - therefore cannot legally work and really should only be here on vacation. And your NGO is not set up as yet. I just think that under these two circumstances, it is wrong for you to come onto this forum and ask people to donate money. There are a lot of legally constituted NGO's who operate in Dominican Republic and, at least until yours is legally set up, you really should at least be working in partnership with one of them.

I just wonder whether if I went to the US on a tourist visa and tried to raise money for a charity which wasn't registered in the US, what reaction this would get and how lawful that would be.

Please do not misunderstand me, I totally see the need for your work and I'm pleased you have chosen to come here. But I think you should have become properly established before going live with your fundraising.
I must say Tropical Paul, Ed is not asking for us to donate to his own bank account...I would be worried if he had a separate website that did not correlate with the InspireDR. The company is in fact active and in good standing as a nonprofit in FL, they also support local business in DR as their website is powered by Project8. Carol Morgan school in Santo Domingo is also a company that began in Florida and opened a second school in DR. Both Adam and Stephan have lived in DR for some time so they have " on the ground" experience and have a first hand look at whats needed in the community. They can legally work there cause one member is a citizen so even if the other didn't get his papers one member can still run the business if the other is deported. Them not being incorporated just means they are not getting the tax benefits of DR...but they can reinvest their capital tax free for 30 years being incorporated in Florida plus the US is more stringent on nonprofits....every dollar must be accounted for. The checks and balances are there and in my opinion 22,000 is not enough money to even bother to steal they aren't asking for millions like American Public schools ( failing our children in education because administration gets the money and not the actual teachers and children who need it!) Do your research on them as I did to state my opinion, Google them,most of us cant run from our past being sold to the highest bidders on the internet! Most of all DR needs a nonprofit like this in every corner of the island since males are expected to provide for their family like most of the world. A scam or scheme cant be accomplished if we research the company before taking action.

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
I must say Tropical Paul, Ed is not asking for us to donate to his own bank account...I would be worried if he had a separate website that did not correlate with the InspireDR. The company is in fact active and in good standing as a nonprofit in FL, they also support local business in DR as their website is powered by Project8. Carol Morgan school in Santo Domingo is also a company that began in Florida and opened a second school in DR. Both Adam and Stephan have lived in DR for some time so they have " on the ground" experience and have a first hand look at whats needed in the community. They can legally work there cause one member is a citizen so even if the other didn't get his papers one member can still run the business if the other is deported. Them not being incorporated just means they are not getting the tax benefits of DR...but they can reinvest their capital tax free for 30 years being incorporated in Florida plus the US is more stringent on nonprofits....every dollar must be accounted for. The checks and balances are there and in my opinion 22,000 is not enough money to even bother to steal they aren't asking for millions like American Public schools ( failing our children in education because administration gets the money and not the actual teachers and children who need it!) Do your research on them as I did to state my opinion, Google them,most of us cant run from our past being sold to the highest bidders on the internet! Most of all DR needs a nonprofit like this in every corner of the island since males are expected to provide for their family like most of the world. A scam or scheme cant be accomplished if we research the company before taking action.

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

We are very thankful for all the moral support that we receive. We had many people walk in at the center and offer to volunteer.
People see the need to invest in the boys of our community. People see the need to form responsible men for the future.

When we look at the boys in our program, 48% of them are raised by single mothers working full-time jobs to provide for their families.
We are working with those boys to teach them to be responsible.
We have a program that keeps them out of the streets when their mothers are at work.
Our program is preparing these boys with a second language so they have better options in the future.
They love the program! Their parents are thrilled and have shown it in tears of appreciation.
Our program is making a significant difference to this families who need the help. Help that would not be available if not with help from people who want to give back to the community.
We have the moral support of the community but we also need financial support to keep it going. Please DONATE what you can and lets open the program to more boys.
Help us give them - and their communities - a brighter future!
Lets contribute to a positive change! igg.me/at/inspireDR

Kind regards

Ed Mendez

May 21, 2015
Thanks for your vote of confidence!

We are very thankful for all the moral support that we receive. We had many people walk in at the center and offer to volunteer.
People see the need to invest in the boys of our community. People see the need to form responsible men for the future.

When we look at the boys in our program, 48% of them are raised by single mothers working full-time jobs to provide for their families.
We are working with those boys to teach them to be responsible.
We have a program that keeps them out of the streets when their mothers are at work.
Our program is preparing these boys with a second language so they have better options in the future.
They love the program! Their parents are thrilled and have shown it in tears of appreciation.
Our program is making a significant difference to this families who need the help. Help that would not be available if not with help from people who want to give back to the community.
We have the moral support of the community but we also need financial support to keep it going. Please DONATE what you can and lets open the program to more boys.
Help us give them - and their communities - a brighter future!
Lets contribute to a positive change! igg.me/at/inspireDR

Kind regards

Ed Mendez
Ed I posted the indigogo information on my FB page of 500 friends. I hope you guys reach your goal. Stay strong and continue in your positive efforts those boys and many others really need it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ANYONE can start a "project" here.
I don't trust ANY of them!!!!!
There a dozens of dominican charities that have a proven track record of good works, decades, that one should support, not some "gringo" from Miami, no one has ever heard of!!!

Doesn't pass MY,..."SNIFF TEST"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
i must say tropical paul, ed is not asking for us to donate to his own bank account...i would be worried if he had a separate website that did not correlate with the inspiredr. The company is in fact active and in good standing as a nonprofit in fl, they also support local business in dr as their website is powered by project8. Carol morgan school in santo domingo is also a company that began in florida and opened a second school in dr. Both adam and stephan have lived in dr for some time so they have " on the ground" experience and have a first hand look at whats needed in the community. They can legally work there cause one member is a citizen so even if the other didn't get his papers one member can still run the business if the other is deported. Them not being incorporated just means they are not getting the tax benefits of dr...but they can reinvest their capital tax free for 30 years being incorporated in florida plus the us is more stringent on nonprofits....every dollar must be accounted for. The checks and balances are there and in my opinion 22,000 is not enough money to even bother to steal they aren't asking for millions like american public schools ( failing our children in education because administration gets the money and not the actual teachers and children who need it!) do your research on them as i did to state my opinion, google them,most of us cant run from our past being sold to the highest bidders on the internet! Most of all dr needs a nonprofit like this in every corner of the island since males are expected to provide for their family like most of the world. A scam or scheme cant be accomplished if we research the company before taking action.

Sent from my lgls660 using tapatalk

your "real agenda" here is now coming out!!!!!!!!

Ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
ANYONE can start a "project" here.
I don't trust ANY of them!!!!!
There a dozens of dominican charities that have a proven track record of good works, decades, that one should support, not some "gringo" from Miami, no one has ever heard of!!!

Doesn't pass MY,..."SNIFF TEST"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Hi Criss Colon,

I respect that you choose to support charities that have a proven track record. It is good to hear that you give back to the community.
Now, I am sure those charities had a start and perhaps they also found people who run a "SNIFF TEST" on them at that time and did not pass.
We are working with some of those NGO's and organizations with decades of proven track record. We seem to have passed their test with the program that we run daily.
You are welcome to come and visit us from Monday to Friday between 8 and 11 am. You can meet the team, the boys and we'll be happy to show you what we are about.
We are located in front of Scotiabank on the main street in Cabarete.

PS. I appreciate if we can keep this thread respectful. That is what we are trying to accomplish with the boys. Teach them to respect everyone. Thanks Criss!

May 21, 2015
your "real agenda" here is now coming out!!!!!!!!

Ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Yes my secret spy agenda to do my due diligence to make sure the company I want to support is real. I mean Criss isn't that your whole argument on every single topic all over DR1 "don't trust anyone"? Your seriously wasting your time!

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
Hi everyone! I just wanted to pitch in as someone involved with the InspireDR team. I'm helping out with getting this program going and set up the YouTube page, so I'd like to invite everyone to follow our updates at our YouTube Channel. There are only a few up, but I'll be posting more videos we shot in the last few weeks, including interviews with the kids, the parents, the people already helping out, as well as stories of the kids themselves. Even if you can't help out financially, here is a chance to learn more and help out socially.

Also, a great way to support us is by going to the site www.inspireDR.org. We'll have the email newsletter up soon, as well as more in-depth information on curriculums, budgets, etc.

Hope this helps! Thank you all for everything!

/Alec

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tell me that none of the administrators here,or in the USA,are drawing a pay check out of the donations???????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Tell me that none of the administrators here,or in the USA,are drawing a pay check out of the donations???????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hi Criss,

I understand your concern. In fact, I feel everyone should do their research before supporting an organization.
To answer your question, neither of the two founders have a salary. They are both professionals and have their own jobs on top of the time that they volunteer to the organization. Up to now, and with their own money, they have funded the majority of the program since the start.
We do have two paid staff members on the team at this time and would be happy to show you how we work. Drop by at any time and if you want, join us on one of the sport activities with the boys.
At the end of the day is about the boys. Giving back to the community. Do your research to be sure you are supporting an organization that is making a difference.
We know what we are doing and can see the difference, and that is why we are asking others to jump-in and make this program available to others who also need it.
I am sure that once you visit us, you will want to help us in some way.

Have a great weekend Criss!