Help The Schools Via Fundacion Patria

Randi

Mar 14, 2004
Scoobster said:
What an absolutley great feel in this thread!

Good work Snowbird...and what a great job of conveying your message to the good travellers, and posters of this fine forum.

Keep up the great work...as I know that you have the passion it takes.

It feels great to donate!

Cheers
Jimmy

My sentiments exactly. With all that is negative in the world today, it's nice to see people from all over work to help others. I first read about the Dream Project and wanted to get involved. When I discovered that geography and timing prevented me from getting to their office in Cabarete I was even more delighted to find out about the Fundacion Patria. The diversity in location aides more children and allows more travellers to participate. Kudos to you both for giving your time to steer people like me in the proper direction.

caldbeck

Mar 18, 2004
Help needed

We are leaving for the Dominican Republic for the first time on Sunday.

After following the threads on donating School Supplies we shall also be bringing a bag of various items with us.

However we do not seem to be going to anywhere near the places that have been mentioned so far.

Can anybody tell us if there is any similar organisation or local school in Guayacanes who we can leave the items with.

Thanks

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
caldbeck said:

After following the threads on donating School Supplies we shall also be bringing a bag of various items with us.

However we do not seem to be going to anywhere near the places that have been mentioned so far.

Can anybody tell us if there is any similar organisation or local school in Guayacanes who we can leave the items with.

Thanks

I am not sure myself...but I will look into it for you, and post as soon as I know.

Cheers
Jimmy

netmark@columbu

Mar 19, 2004
School week of April 12?

Is school back in session week of April 12?
I want to take some things to schools/ kids in Puerto Plata. thanks!

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Guayacanes

Still checking for you. Will post as soon as I have info.

Enjoy your Dominican Experience.

Sb

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Schools During April 12

From what I have learned, the schools should be back in session by Tues. or Wed., April 13 or 14. Hope this helps. Any other questions, please ask.

Enjoy your Dominican experience. :)

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Caldbeck

Sorry, but I do not have any info for you before you leave. My contacts in the DR have not returned any answers. I don't know what to tell you.

Scoobster, any ideas??

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Nothing Yet

SB......

Nothing yet, but I have been away, and maybe I will get the information by morning...will definatley post when I receive word...

Cheers
Jimmy

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Outback Safari

caldbeck said:

Thanks

As best I can find out...

If you book, or at least check with your tour coordinator at the resort...you can present your items to the Outback Safari, and they will ensure that your donations get to the children.

Another option...take a tour of a local village...grab a taxi, and ask the driver to take you to a local school...there are many ways you could make the donations, but the most important is that you do.

Have a safe and wonderful trip, and thank you for taking the time, and space to bring something for the children of the DR...I guarantee that once you do make the donation, that it will forever stay with you (if you see the smiling childrens faces...it never goes away).

Cheers
Jimmy

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Easter

Easter is just around the corner......

What a great time to go to your local "dollar store" and stock up on all of those novelty items...Bunny erasers...egg coverred pencils...etc....

They dont take a lot of room in your luggage, but I am sure that the children that receive them in the Dr will think they are the best thing going....

Save a little room in your luggage, contact this or other good orginizations that could use your kind donations, and make a BIG difference in the lives of some who need a little help!

Cheers
Jimmy

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Fundacion Locations

Greetings to all. I have just received word from my contacts at FP that their association has affiliates in other locations. In addition to Puerto Plata, you will be able to locate FP people in Punta Cana, Santiago, and Santo Domingo.

I hope this expanded network will make it easier for those of you traveling to those locations to donate the items you are bringing for the schools.

Thanks for all you do.

Enjoy oyur Dominican experience!

SB

caldbeck

Mar 18, 2004
Scoobster//Snowbird

Just back from DR.

We were sorry to have to leave so soon to return home. The people that we came into contact with were all very friendly and eager to please and although we ignored the advice of the Tour company staff to stay in the armed compound, we never once felt threatened wherever we went. (Although to be sure we did restrict our travelling to the daytime)

Thanks for your efforts in trying to find a school that we could take some things to. As it turned out we were only about ten minutes walk from the local school in Guayacanes.

Only one of the teachers could speak a little English but we managed to be understood and the Head Teacher took time out to show us around the school.

The school had about 8 classes ranging from Pre-School to teenagers.

Conditions were very cramped, very hot and the building ?well used?- not at all likes the state schools here in the UK. Through all this however the children were friendly and seemed happy.

One day we hope to return to DR and go back to the school in Guayacanes with some further supplies.

We would urge anybody who is thinking of donating supplies to do so. Have no doubts that everything is badly needed, will be gratefully received, and I am sure will be put to good use. If possible find a local school and go to see the conditions that the children are taught in.

We would hope that in the long term, that through helping improve the education of the children, the standard of living for all the people may improve and that this country with it?s friendly people develop the potential that exists.

We left sorry that our donation was so small in meeting the real needs and would liked to have done more.

We wish you all the best in spreading the word to every visitor, as I am sure that if the needs were better known the response would be fast and generous.

Until we return---

caldbeck

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Great Job Caldbeck

Thanks for the updated post of your trip. It sounds as if you had a wonderful experience while you were visiting the DR. It efforts such as yours, and those of others who read these postings and then decide to particpate, that are mainly responsible for improving the educational opportunities for the Dominican school children. Those of us that live in the USA, the UK, and other countries have the ability to give soooo much to soooo many. These students deserve our very best.

Again, thanks for all that you did. I am sure it was graciously received by the schools.

To everyone else...Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Remote

Mar 13, 2004
Giving is great ...

Like Caldbeck, we just returned from our first trip to the DR. Thanks to the inspiration and guidance of Jimmy and SB, we followed our donation to a small country school outside of POP. We had hired a local guide to show us the sights for the day and he brought us to a school in need.

Of course we were moved by the experience, punctuated by the smiles and excited reception of the students, found studying in cramped, hot classrooms. And like Caldbeck, we felt like our supplies were such a small drop in a very large bucket, but I know every bit counts.

One sad note, perhaps, were the children hovering outside the school grounds, kept away by a locked fence, who were not in school by choice or circumstance.

Over all, though, it was an enlightening experience and one we will definitely repeat.

Pat

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Way To Go, Pat

What a fantastic trip report. It sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed your time in the Dominican school. From my past experiences, I would conclude that ALL Dominican children are very excited to receive the generous donations. I know that there are some schools out in the country that in order to get to them, you have to cross a couple of rivers. It's these schools that really need our help. So, any future visitors, please bring your donations of supplies and money. If we all work together, we can have a very positive impact on the educational opportunities of the Dominican school children.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Fundacion Contacts

A big THANK YOU to all that have made the decison to become involved in helping the Dominican school children. As I mentioned before, some of you might feel more comfortable if you had a live person to connect with when you travel to the Puerto Plata area. If you would post your hotel location, I would check to see if Fundacion Patria has a specific person for you to contact. Mario and Ramon ( see earlier postings ) are always more than willing to help, but it might be a little more efficient if you were able to meet an individual at your resort.

If you don't feel comfortable posting your resort location, please contact me through the dr1 email service.

It is my desire to maintain this effort throughout the entire year, every year. I know that not all who travel are snowbirds such as my wife and I. Please encourage your friends to read this thread, and to post replies and/or trip reports. It is very gratifying to read about the positive experiences of others who donate. Also rememeber that all the projects are worthwhile be it Fundacion Patria, Dream Project, or the Sosua Project. As Scoobster says: It feels great to donate!

Enjoy your Dominican experience:)

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Info Update

Sorry for the unintended absence. I was off trying to help coordinate donations for a fairly large group of travelers to Purto Plata last week. I will be anxious to hear how everything went.

As others of you prepare to go to the Dominican Republic for the Easter celebration, my hat goes off to you and all of your efforts. Your donations will be greatly appreciated.

Donators, please post your experiences for others to read. If the seed is planted, it will most assuredly grow.

Enjoy your Dominican experience! :)

SB

vee

Mar 7, 2004
School Supply Donation

We spent two weeks in the Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata area in March/April. We called a number in Puerto Plata for Sra. Bergers 809-320-4054 (which I took down from this forum) and we were given the name of a school in Puerto Plata where we could deliver our supplies. We were told that any cab driver in town would know the name and location. The school was called Casa Albergue de Martina in Puerto Plata. We hired a cab and delivered the items. It was an orphanage/school. I wish we could have taken more with us but the weight restrictions really limited us.

It's a very good cause and I hope more people do the same when they go down. The nun we spoke with was very nice.

50887720.jpg

Vee

Last edited:

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Vee, You Are Remarkable!

Thanks for the great report regarding your recent visit to the Dominican Republic. It sounds as though you had a great experience. The picture was a nice addition.

As you mention, any/all schools can use the support and donations that people are giving so freely and generously.

Again, thanks for all you do.

Everyone, enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
We were also in the DR the end of March and had a fantastic time. We also went to the orphanage with supplies. We found two handicapped children's homes in need of help. They are Casa Nazaret in Puerto Plata run by Mercedes Benjamin 1-809-261-4385, and The Mustard Seed Community run by Wayne and Carrie Grant @ 1-809-449-1091. These people volunteer there lives to care for these beautiful handicapped children and do not have the monies needed to care for all of there needs. I have the addresses if you have anything to donate or would like to visit them.