Help The Schools Via Fundacion Patria

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Many Children to Help

Thanks for the posting. As many have mentioned before, there are many, many school children that can use our help. It doesn't matter so much WHO you donate to, just that you donate.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Remote

Mar 13, 2004
Pay it forward ...

SB, I wanted to tell you that I wrote a story for the newspaper where I work about our trip to the DR, mentioning that we had toured a school and made donations. I have subsequently heard from our DR guide that at least a dozen people have contacted him to take a similar tour, so I hope that some of those folks may have made donations along the way.

Thanks again for your guidance!

Pat

P.S. E-mail me if you'd like a copy of the story (Remote57@hotmail.com)

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Thank You

Allow this humble Dominican to thank all of you wonderfully generous people for your concerns and help to our kids; a special thanks to Snowbird who I see, in another post, is thinking of coming down to live with us. I will be checking out Fundacion Patria and only wish there were concerned tourists coming to all parts of the country which would really make a big contribution and not just the Puerto Plata area.
I have a small, weekend cabin in the hills near Santiago and my neighbors are all poor, many with dirt floors and very basic housing; I have made it a point, always, to help the neighborhood kids every September with their school supplies as well as a small gift for the Xmas holidays...this is not really a big
sacrifice and the happiness I can create with these unfortunate children is more than worthwhile so I understand how everyone can get a kick of helping these kids. Keep it up and I hope more and more people can become involved.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Pat/Frank

Great posts. All the Dominican school children will benefit from any and all donations that we can so generously share with them.

Frank, as you have probably read on other threads, there are other groups that are trying to help as well. Scoobster posts for Dream Project, which helps Cabarete kids. The Sosua project is self explainable. Fundacion Patria has contacts in 3-4 other cities which have already been posted in an earlier thread. People are trying to reach out to all parts of your beautiful country, to assist your very beautiful school children. It just takes time, and many frequent reminders.

Speaking of reminders, I would encourage all readers to go to www.debbiesdominicantravel.com, go to the North Coast forum in the message board, locate Help The Children-Challenge Number 2 thread ( I believe it's now on page 3 ), read and reply. Please do the same at www.popreport.com,
where you are looking for the Fundacion Patria thread.

If we can keep this project on page 1 of these message boards, we can be assured that more visitors will see what we are trying to do. If they see the genuine enthusiasm that is shown by you, they might be more motivated to do the same.

Thanks to all the are giving from their hearts.

Enjoy you Dominican experience :)

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Whoops

I was incorrect on the thread at www.popreport.com please look for Want To Feel Good. I had also started at Fundacion Patria thread earlier, but it was getting too many looks, so I went with WTFG.

Please excuse my senior moment.

SB

cjbrooks

Mar 21, 2004
Iberostar

Hi SB
We are travelling to DR in July and are really looking forward to it. My 11 year old daughter is very keen to get donations from her school and I wondered if there are any photos anywhere that i can print off to show the kids in her school just how lucky they are in having computers, IT equipment etc when the DR children struggle to even get paper!

We are staying at the Iberostar in Puerto Plata which I realise is a little outside the other AI hotels in Playa Dorada and wondered if you have a contact in that hotel?

many thanks

Caroline

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Caroline - School Pics

Here is a site that will help you. Go to www.fundapatria.com This is the web site for Fundacion Patria. Once at their home page, look in the left column for the photos link. Click on it and you will see some of the local school buildings/rooms. Granted, most photos are of schools out in the countryside, but believe me, the schools in Puerto Plata proper are not much better. The city school that my wife and I visited was one room, and it was about
20 x 20, if at all that big. The neat thing about any of the schools is that the children are excited to learn. They are also very excited to receive any donations that we can share with them. Your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

While you are at the FP site, click on all their links. They are seeking cash donations as well, and you will find a cash donation form available for your use if you so desire. In an earlier posting I stated that the schools are in dire need of blackboards. FP can purchase these blackboards for about 500 pesos, so if you want to donate cash, you have a way to do so. They are also in need of cash to develop an IT center in Puerto Plata proper. They will put any monies designated for this project toward the purchase of an adequate facility and toward the purchase of reliable computers.

I hope this information will help. Thanks for all you are willing to do. While you are staying at Iberostar, you can contact Sr. Miguel Goncalves for assistance. If he is not available, feel free to conatct Ramon Ripoll at Riu Merengue, 809 320 4000, or Mario Mattana at Fun Royale, 809 320 4054.

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Sources For Donations

In an earlier posting, it was noted that a visit to your local Dollar Store would be a great way to collect school suppplies without costing you an arm and a leg. I also think that it might be helpful to visit your local Office Depot and/or Office Max store and see if the management people would be willing to contribute to the cause. If you have access to Target, Kmart, Wal-Mart, etc., I would suggest that you approach those managers as well. I would believe that you may get referred to a corporate person somewhere, but at least you would have planted the seed. It makes sense to me to leave no stone unturned when asking for donations for this worthy cause. Shoot, you could even suggest that the management types read this thread.Just make sure you tell them how to get here. Be sure to tell them that you will be more than happy to transport the donations for them when you make your next trip to Puerto Plata.

Thanks for all your efforts.

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Who To Contact

As you travel to your Dominican hotel, you will more than likely find a management person you can contact regarding your donation to Fundation Patria, the school aid project for schools in the Puerto Plata area. If you have a specific hotel, I will be happy to post the contact person.

If you are headed to Cabarete, contact the Dream Project. If headed to Sosua, contact the Sosua Project.

Again, please try to bring an extra checked bag filled with the basic school supplies that are needed by the kids. Your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all you bring.

SB

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
How right you are!

Thats right SB....no matter where you travel to in the DR, there will be children that could use your kind donations.

So save a little room in your luggage...pack some school supplies for the children of the DR.

A little room now will make a BIG difference in the future of these children.

It feels great to donate!

Cheers
Jimmy

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Summer Travel

For those of you planning to travel to the Puerto Plata area in the coming months, please remember to pack that extra checked bag full of school supplies for the kids. As we approach the Summer months, we need to remain aware of the fact that the schools still need our help. If you want a personal contact while in the area, simply email me with your hotel location and I will send you the contact info.

Thanks for your efforts.

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
The New President

With a new president, it would be great if Sr. Leonel would start to take an interest in the local school situation. Can you imagine just how the schools could prosper if some of the arrival/departure tax was dedicated to the schools? How many visitors travel to the DR on an annual basis? Multiply those numbers by $1.00 US and you could fund the schools very nicely.

Any readers that are living in the DR, how can we get this message to the powers that be? We have to take care of the schools, and improve the educational opportunities so that the local students can be a major force in the system of change. One and all, we need your help!

Sb

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Whats best to do with what we have

We have been buying small toys for the children in the area of puerto plata for months. We have stuff like, lead pencils, small note book, colouring pencils, small dolls, tennis balls, frizbees, kailderscopes, little men on parachutes, farm animals, dogs, cats dinosaurs, tons of it. We was aiming to hand it out, but there is to much, we will be staying in breezes in October, and we have our family to help us ferry it across. anybody know where this sort of stuff will be best needed. Thanks

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Who To Contact

Brian, please feel free to contact Sr. Mario Mattana, General Manager at Fun Royale/Fun Tropicale, 809 320 4054. He will be more than happy to assist you with your distribution.

Mario's hotel is located in the Playa Dorada area which is just West of the Puerto Plata airport. Where is Breezes located?

Thanks for your contributions.

SB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Snowbird said:
Brian, please feel free to contact Sr. Mario Mattana, General Manager at Fun Royale/Fun Tropicale, 809 320 4054. He will be more than happy to assist you with your distribution.

Mario's hotel is located in the Playa Dorada area which is just West of the Puerto Plata airport. Where is Breezes located?

Thanks for your contributions.

SB

Thanks for reminding me of the contact at Fun Royale - TimelessDreams & hubby are in town at the moment & have a whole load of goodies for us to take over later this week. I was going to PM you for the details again, but in your innimitable fashion, you have pre-empted my needs!!

When are you in need of another thrashing on the golfcourse??? - Grahame.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Thrashing On The Golf Course???

GWB,
I didn't think you were into violence! Remember golf is a social activity, that is to be enjoyed by all that participate.

Fairways and greens.

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Summer Travel

I want to remind all of you that are traveling at this time, to please post a report of your experiences. If you do indeed bring that extra checked bag filled with school supplies, and are able to visit a school, I know that there are many others that would love to read about what you did. Your experience could provide the motivation for many others to donate to the Dominican school children. Even though it's summer, the students still need our support in any way we share with them.

Thanks for all you do.

SB

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Kindly Donations

I could not agree more with SB's last post...as this is the time of year when travel slows slightly...it is still time for those of you who are travelling to continue to provide a brighter future for those children less fortunate.

Save a little room in your luggage for the much needed school supplies...and make arrangements to donate them to a school which can put them to excellent use. This is the time to stock up for the up-coming year!

Yes...please post your experiance...as it really does provide inspiration, and motivation for others that may be considerring making some very kind donations.

SB...keep the post coming...you are providing an outlet for peoples kindness...and I am sure you are making a difference in someones life!

Cheers to you!

It feels great to donate!

Jimmy

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Busy Summer

Scoobster, thanks for the support. I have been away taking care of some family matters, so that's why I am late with this reply.

Along with FP, Dream Project, and the Sosua Project, have there been any other startup programs this summer?

Thanks for all you do.

SB

RhonaP

Jul 16, 2004
Are schools in session in August ?

Hi, I'm planning a trip the last week in August. Are the schools in session then as I would like to be able to deliver school supplies ? I'm staying at the Coral Marian - do you have a contact person there or nearby ?

Thank you.

Rhona

RhonaP@aol.com