Here is something we can all do

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
sancochojoe said:
Would the media take notice if there was protest in front of the American Embassy in Santo Domingo. Especially by Foreigners.
After all the states does influence elections in DR.

I know the State Dept would take notice immediately. They notice things when people spit on a foreign embassy wall.

Just a suggestion

look....if my house was dirty, what would you think if i started protesting about nobody cleaning it in front of your house?

forget about americans, they have no reason to intervene - only when hipolito grows a big shaggy beard, the dr discovers oil and somebody trumps up the idea of the pph hiding chemical weapons.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
sancochojoe said:
Would the media take notice if there was protest in front of the American Embassy in Santo Domingo. Especially by Foreigners.
After all the states does influence elections in DR.

I know the State Dept would take notice immediately. They notice things when people spit on a foreign embassy wall.

Just a suggestion

The problems in the DR is a Dominican problem. It is in the DR. It was Caused by Dominicans and it can only be truley resolved bt Dominicans. The US will only get involved when it is in the US's Best interests to do so. And rightly so!

A protest by foreigners in front of the US Embassy in Santo DOminigo would at best be looked upon as illogical. I would think that it would look plain stupid.
It would be like French National protesting California Wines in front of the French Embassy in Washington D.C.!

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Alright, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read a little while ago (in the DR1 daily news) about some Dominicans ( or people of Dominican descent) being elected to important offices here in the U.S? If that's the case then maybe those are some public office holders that we can write to as they may have a little bit of influence (if they are not Hippo supporters that is). I remember one being elected in Connecticut but I'm not sure about the other places. Rob, can you help me out here? Thanks....just trying to extend on the ideas.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
If you are trying to interest the media (which actually means their viewers/readers/listeners), you will need to put a definable "face" on the elections, which is difficult. The poor two headed baby garnered much attention, because the story was focused on that child and family.

The Phillipine elections of years ago got much attention because of the compelling story of Cori Aquino, NOT the fact there was an election. Elian Gonzolas in Miami, not because of the immigration rules and the protest, but because of the compelling story that was Elian and his family.

It will need to be distilled down to that sort of essense, if you want the media to prick their ears up.

Mike

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
yolas

What the media WILL pick up on is the yolas, and it is slowly starting to happen. I have read some very sad postings here re loved ones, friends etc , now missing.This is where the inroads can be made. This will sound like a script, but bear with me.

Find that family that lost a loved one trying to make it out. Find their relatives in the states that can explain WHY they came, and why their LO had to make that attempt,whatever the cost. You need to utilize the base you have now in the US.

This is starting to work for Mexicanos . After a horrendous "accident" that killed dozens in a trailer being smuggled to the US by coyotes , the attention given to the plight of the aliens skyrocketed. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you scuttle a boat.

This may read as a very cold post, but it is how you have think to get the attention you need.

Mike

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Pib

It probably wasn't anything to do with my letters, but the Economist did run a Hippo story on 12th. Feb. Pity they didn't contact any of us first!
Ginnie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Americans could care less about DominicanBoat People!

I watched the NBC piece about the "Yolas".First of ,"Americans" don't know where the DR is! We would say "Too Bad!",and then,"But they were committing an illegal act,of their own free will!"We can't be responsible to improve the economy of every country in the World,so their citizens won't want to risk their lives trying to get to the USA!
We want the Cubans,because they are fleeing a communist dictator,to enjoy freedom and democracy!The "Others" just want free food and medicine! Stay Dry!Stay Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
CCCCCCCCCCC,
I work in a place where we look at the cirumstances in Haiti daily. When i came back to work on Friday from my 9 days in RD, I had countless people asking me about the situation in RD and Haiti.."were you okay"...could you see the fires" etc. I got a bit irritated at first,..."yesssss. no problems"... but then realized that they were concerned about what was happening there.

It goes back to my last point. When people know people caught in a
situation , they respond with concern and action. And the RD citizens in the US need to stand up and REASONABLY call for action, economic for the RD , maybe militarily for the Haitian border.

People listen when reasonable people talk, not shout.

We accept Cubans on a political asylum basis, ie dictatorship. Hippo and Aristide are "democratically elected",and so the "escapees" are economic refugees. And that won't fly anywhere in the world right now.

Last edited: