High Carribean

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
He ran some after hours joint in a hotel, stocked with moonshine and chicas , the name escapes me, it was up the hill.

Could this be the place next to Teleimagen Satelital the satellite TV business on Calle Rogelio Alvarez up the hill two blocks before the highway. The place was embargoed a couple of years ago and taken over by somebody else.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
There does seem to be a pattern. Long term success is not part of that pattern.

The only ones that think failure is a negative are those that have given up trying

http://fortune.com/2016/03/25/successful-people-failure/

"10 Wildly Successful People on How They View Failure

Jared Lindzon
Mar 25, 2016

Whether you’re an author, an entrepreneur or a musician, the road to success is often paved with rejection and failure. The difference between those who succeed and those fail comes down to whether or not they choose to rise above the criticism and soldier on."

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Thomas Edison: I haven't failed. I've found ten thousand ways that don't work.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The only ones that think failure is a negative are those that have given up trying

Jared Lindzon
Mar 25, 2016

Whether you’re an author, an entrepreneur or a musician, the road to success is often paved with rejection and failure. The difference between those who succeed and those fail comes down to whether or not they choose to rise above the criticism and soldier on."

Oh, I do go along with that. No risk, no reward. I would never play music in front of people if I worried about rejection.

It is just that in this particular situation under discussion, I simply see history repeating itself. At this point in time, at that particular location, is there a reason to think otherwise?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thomas Edison: I haven't failed. I've found ten thousand ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison didn't beat up 90 lb women.

And Ad isn't working on developing a winning formula. He's just being himself - over and over again.

Did you ever watch Groundhog Day?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

Jared Lindzon
Mar 25, 2016

I hear you, and agree with you in most situations. But in this particular case, another famous quote comes to mind. This one by Albert Einstein:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results". 

That said, I think I might go down and check out The new High Caribbean tonight. 

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I believe he is originally from the Kingdom of the Netherlands. AKA "Holland" (and to quote George Costanza, "well then who the hell are the Dutch?")

Not sure about Boca Chica, but if my memory serves me correctly, here in Sosua he was associated with:
The Black Box (on the beach) - Now closed.
Los Toros (on PC) - Shut down by the authorities. Now "Bourbon Street".
Rancho Tipico (on PC) - Shut down by the authorities 
City Lights (on PC) - Temporarily closed. Furniture confiscated. Ad forced out. Then reopened under different management.
High Caribbean (on Far East end of PC) - Grand Reopening last week after being closed for 10+ years.

Did I miss anything?

Just passed by "City Lights" and noticed it now has a new facade, and a new name "Sosua Lights 2012 Bar".

(Does that mean their only 5 years behind the times?)

New facade looks nice though. But all closed in now, so no more "street views". 

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Thomas Edison didn't beat up 90 lb women.

And Ad isn't working on developing a winning formula. He's just being himself - over and over again.

Did you ever watch Groundhog Day?

No, and I don't know Ad or care about his formula.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Of course. Don't you see it? It's not that complicated
:surprised
Oh, I do go along with that. No risk, no reward. I would never play music in front of people if I worried about rejection.

It is just that in this particular situation under discussion, I simply see history repeating itself. At this point in time, at that particular location, is there a reason to think otherwise?

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
Ad's club in Boca Chica was at the Mazart Hotel and Bar.... not 100% sure but rings a bell.... he left when the crack down was going on in Boca Chica.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Ad's club in Boca Chica was at the Mazart Hotel and Bar.... not 100% sure but rings a bell.... he left when the crack down was going on in Boca Chica.

That was the name .. correct . Good memory, there was a website , even long after he sold ?it .. with his pictures on it .. not sure if its still active .. I doubt it though

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's ok. If it all comes together you will and if not you won't be able to say "I told you so" :cool:

The question is when, not if one get's to say, "I told you so."

Likewise with regard to The Ahnvee just a hop, skip and a jump away.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Last time I was in High Caribbean had to be at least 15 years ago. It used to be packed despite being down the end of a really deserted PC back then. So, when I saw this thread saying it had opened, I just had to go and check it out with a friend of mine that coincidentally was here on vacation and hadn't been there for over 15 years either.

Went there Saturday night around 11pm. The place has the same general layout as before with the big dance floor and big wrap-around bar. The outside area where the pool was is closed.

The renovation that was done is first class. One of the nicest, best laid-out night clubs/discos I've been too. I haven't been to any of the clubs/discos on the other end of PC in a long time, but I doubt any of them can top HC(?).

Not sure exactly what the "business plan" is(?). There were about 20 female employees in "uniforms" standing around and out dancing on the dance floor with each other. There were only a handful of gringos in there and some were dancing with the girls.

There were no "local" girls in there at all and no mongers with their chicas either. The place was pretty dead. When we left around 12pm, there was one local girl outside that they apparently wouldn't let in. Fantastic club, but not sure how he will survive(?).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Last time I was in High Caribbean had to be at least 15 years ago. It used to be packed despite being down the end of a really deserted PC back then. So, when I saw this thread saying it had opened, I just had to go and check it out with a friend of mine that coincidentally was here on vacation and hadn't been there for over 15 years either.

Went there Saturday night around 11pm. The place has the same general layout as before with the big dance floor and big wrap-around bar. The outside area where the pool was is closed.

The renovation that was done is first class. One of the nicest, best laid-out night clubs/discos I've been too. I haven't been to any of the clubs/discos on the other end of PC in a long time, but I doubt any of them can top HC(?).

Not sure exactly what the "business plan" is(?). There were about 20 female employees in "uniforms" standing around and out dancing on the dance floor with each other. There were only a handful of gringos in there and some were dancing with the girls.

There were no "local" girls in there at all and no mongers with their chicas either. The place was pretty dead. When we left around 12pm, there was one local girl outside that they apparently wouldn't let in. Fantastic club, but not sure how he will survive(?).

It sounds like the tide may be in place.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

I had a slightly different experience. 

Drove by there at 10pm Saturday night. Placed looked dead. Only one car parked out front. And 2 motos. . Security was at the door, but I didn't see anyone enter/exit. So I went to Cabarete for a drink instead.

Returned to HC around 12:30am. Had to park a bit down the street then because all the spaces in front were filled.

This was my first time time ever inside the place, and wow! Great layout with fantastic sight lines. It was crowded, without feeling crowded. By that I mean plenty of people there, but still plenty of space to move around without being josteled. 

I saw a varied crowd. Including a few groups of blonde female tourists. One older group of 5 sitting at the table next to me, and a younger group of 3 dancing on the nice sized dance floor in the center of the place. 
As Cavok mentioned, 20+ or so waitresses. Some dancing on the floor. Some up in the "cages" above. All in their cute uniforms of red trimmed white shirts with red skirts. The three I interacted with for drinks were personable and professional.

My experience was also different from Cavoks in that i did notice a good number of local ladies there. In fact three times I felt the touch on the arm followed by "Hi baby". (Different chica each time). 

Bathrooms were a bit hard to find. No signs I could see.( They are outside). But modern, clean, and functioning, with an attendant at the entrance. 

I didn't see "Ad" there (but I wasn't looking for him either). 

All in all, an enjoyable 2 hours. (So Cavok, I guess "timing is everything"?) 
I'll probably return there on occasion should it remain a viable business.

One complaint. As i got into my car to leave, a guy came out of the shadows and asked for money for "lookee-lookee your car". Now with the guys in the reflective vests in the center of town who "greet you" as your parking,and fold your mirror in, etc, I'll usually give them some loose change.  But this guy at HC hadn't done any of that.  No vest, etc. I doubt he was "official". So I just ignored him and drove home. 

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I had a slightly different experience. 

Drove by there at 10pm Saturday night. Placed looked dead. Only one car parked out front. And 2 motos. . Security was at the door, but I didn't see anyone enter/exit. So I went to Cabarete for a drink instead.

Returned to HC around 12:30am. Had to park a bit down the street then because all the spaces in front were filled.

This was my first time time ever inside the place, and wow! Great layout with fantastic sight lines. It was crowded, without feeling crowded. By that I mean plenty of people there, but still plenty of space to move around without being josteled. 

I saw a varied crowd. Including a few groups of blonde female tourists. One older group of 5 sitting at the table next to me, and a younger group of 3 dancing on the nice sized dance floor in the center of the place. 
As Cavok mentioned, 20+ or so waitresses. Some dancing on the floor. Some up in the "cages" above. All in their cute uniforms of red trimmed white shirts with red skirts. The three I interacted with for drinks were personable and professional.

My experience was also different from Cavoks in that i did notice a good number of local ladies there. In fact three times I felt the touch on the arm followed by "Hi baby". (Different chica each time). 

Bathrooms were a bit hard to find. No signs I could see.( They are outside). But modern, clean, and functioning, with an attendant at the entrance. 

I didn't see "Ad" there (but I wasn't looking for him either). 

All in all, an enjoyable 2 hours. (So Cavok, I guess "timing is everything"?) 
I'll probably return there on occasion should it remain a viable business.

One complaint. As i got into my car to leave, a guy came out of the shadows and asked for money for "lookee-lookee your car". Now with the guys in the reflective vests in the center of town who "greet you" as your parking,and fold your mirror in, etc, I'll usually give them some loose change.  But this guy at HC hadn't done any of that.  No vest, etc. I doubt he was "official". So I just ignored him and drove home. 

That was the difference - timing. I left at 12am. There were only about maybe 20 some customers in there then. I guess it's a late night crowd scene. Plus, it's new - probably a lot of people haven't heard about it yet and tourism is pretty dead right now.

Other than that, it seems like our experience was the same. Awesome club. Really liked the atmosphere. Bathrooms were hard to find, but as you mentioned, very, very nice and clean. Same guy popped out of the shadows and asked for change for watching my car when I went to leave.

If this place starts attracting local girls from the other end of PC, I can see it doing very well. Bar/club scenes get old and I think people would welcome a new place to go. 50 pesos for a motoconcha and you're there in 2 minutes. I can see other clubs and bars moving down there if this starts to take off. Perfect for the "adventerous lifestyle" of guests at Anhvee, too.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Ad with all his negative traits knows how to run a bar/disco, he knows what the punters want and provides it, music, waitresses, good service, furniture, lights, atmosphere, clean toilets, etc. . He always packed the places he had, if the authorities and competitions leave him alone and his partners can cope with his mood swings he will make it - but that is rare in Sosua (and Ad) for the long term...