High Electricity Bills!!!

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
Yes Chris

Its a real Chevy Truck steering wheel and all...

Just has a special adaptor on the carburator and a propane tank to use the propane. There are a lot of public guaguas (the older and smaller ones) running like this. Only difference to mine is the installation is correctly done. Used to give you much more mileage for your buck before Hippo played around with propane prices,, but like I said one gallon og propane equals one gallon of gasoline for mileage.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris said:
I've never seen a truck running on propane. You mean this is a real truck with four wheels and a steering wheel, that you drive with on the road? Never seen such a thing!

Take a taxi in Santiago sometime - if you dare! There's lots of them. I call them and the idiots on motos with the huge tanks slapped across their legs 'cruise missles' ....

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
For residential use propane is more suitable here in DR and cheaper to maintain as well. Most homes, if not all, in DR already use propane for cooking and some even use it for water heating. I don?t think that an installation of a propane generator will greatly increase the existing risk of propane storage if installed professionally. In fact, propane is friendlier to the environment than diesel, thats one plus over diesel alreadt. The cost of propane is cheaper than diesel by about 8-10 Rd pesos today and I suspect propane will always be cheaper than diesel in DR.

Any gasoline generator can be converted to propane or natural gas. Conversion kits are readily available for most major brands of generator and even some less recognized brand such as Generac or Tecumesh. The only recommendation for installing a converted gasoline generator is that it be rated 115% of expected maximum capacity. For instance, running a 10kw gasoline generator with propane will have a maximum output capacity of about 8.5kw. However, this will reduce the overall wear on the engine and provide for longer engine life. Routine maintenance cost is also cut in half when using a gasoline engine with propane. Propane burns cleaner and the sparkplug will accumulated less soot and the gasoline filter will never have to be replaced. :)

Using propane also has added advantages in procurement and storage over diesel if the propane installation is well planed and professionally done. A big (1000 gallons or more) commercial propane storage tank can be installed for servicing cooking, water heating and generator needs. A feed valve can be installed in the front of the property to provide access to refills from a propane distributor ? no need to go out and refill small propane tanks. Finally I will add that you can install a propane central A/C unit for your home and cool your house from propane as well (note this is not very popular).

The better solution for grid independence is renewable power. Solar and wind being the most accessible followed by hydro if you have access to a good untapped natural water source that can provide you with sufficient water pressure to run a water turbine.

Solar has an initial prohibitive cost but a system can be had over time with proper planning. Most already own an inverter and a backup small generator therefore the system is already half way there. Solar panels can be purchased one at a time and installed until the solar array is big enough to support the basic needs of the home.

If you are lucky enough to already have an inverter and about 3kw of battery storage, the only real investment you need to get started in solar power is 1 or 2 solar panels and a charge controller. Solar panels can than be added as budget permits eventually producing sufficient power to become fully grid independent.

Solar power is not for everyone and you need to ask yourself what really is important to you when considering solar power for your power needs. If A/C is a must have you need to look at propane A/C or simply not get into solar power. Also, when assessing your power requirements to size the power system consider installing a solar water heater.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks NotLurking, that was a real interesting post. My husband and I are having a ongoing discussion about power and how we should actually do it here at home. We run a number of computers, satellite dishes and so on. Grid independence sounds good to me, but Richard considers at the moment, that conventional power needs to be the first system for our particular requirements.

Does anyone know of a 'power consultant' that one could speak to that could possibly design "the power system of our dreams"? Taking our specific requirements into consideration? Hehehe! and our budget!

Now listening to the mute roar of the generator that has been running for three days non-stop! Want to listen to the birds and the chickens and the burros!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
A properly built generator enclosure can make the whole thing very quiet. It just has to be done right. In many ways it's built like a broadcast studio booth, double doors & walls, rubber footpads, etc.

As to someone to design it, there's a nice German fellow by the name of Torsten who posts here occasionally who seems to really know his stuff, generators and all. Does a lot of this kind of workmon contract in the US and elsewhere. He's working on a home here in our project. I want him to supervise our new wiring here for my office.

I seem to have misplaced temporarily his phone but if I find it I will PM it to you, unless someone else here knows the gentleman and can pass that along in the meantime.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Chris and Everyone Else;
I just happen to have, amoung my collection of non-essential reading materials, a book form a company in Canada by the name of "POWERHOUSE Energy Systems, Inc." e-mail address is:
info@powersourceenergy.com and Web Site is: www.powersourceenergy.com.
They are a consulting/supplier of alternate electrical energy and have a catalogue (5.00) .
Their catalogue is a goldmine of information on alternate electrical sources, having complete packages cited/priced, etc.,etc.
It would be worthwhile to anyone seeking information about the subject of alternate electric sources.
I leave you with that information.
Texas Bill

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
All Good Stuff ... But You Heard it Here First!

... now whose container are we going to smuggle it all in on. The generator prices are a steal I think. But what about the duties?

I thought it used to be that this government encouraged alternate energy systems, like solar, wind, hydro. I am not so sure about diesel or gas because I have seen griping in some of Santo Domingo newspapers about the extra noise and pollution the blackouts were causing as people turned more to private generators.

After first the import tax, and now this stupid export tax, I can just see them taking a clue from Mexico and actually making it illegal to run your own generator - no matter how bad the grid service is - just to prop up the producers and distributors, and collect the taxes on the bills.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris said:
Thanks for that info Texas Bill!

Your 500th post and this is as profound as it gets? "Thanks for that info Texas Bill!"? We had been expecting sooo much more!

:: wink ::

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yea,like anyone in the DR gives two Shits about the Environment!

I have a 20 kilo Detroit Diesel powered generator.I calculate that it is about twice the capacity that I need. I have 5 TVs,2 air-conditioners,5 ceiling fans,a deep well,a water pump,and two refrigerators.It is in a cement block "House" in my front yard.The house has an insulated door,and the motor has a big muffler.The noise is a bit of a bother if we sit on the patio.I just go to my room,turn on the TV,and "Air",and don't worry about it.I also have a 3.5 kilo Trace Inverter,so I don't run the "Planta" during the day,only at night to "pull" the air-conditioners,if there is no power.
Several months ago,a big truck tore down the electric wires running to my house,so I ran the generator for 3 nights,for the "air",and to charge the batteries for the days.I waited 3 days for the electric company to come,and then called a friend who came and re-connected me.
Point is,as I am leaving my house one morning,a neighbor who lives about 100 yards from my house came running out waving his arms in the air. I said, "Buenos Dias",and then he started a tirade,asking me why I was running my "planta" even when the power was on? Not waiting to hear my reply,he continued telling me "Who" he knew,and "Who" he was going to call,and what the police were going to do,and that it was against the law,until I thought he would die of a heart attack!I tried to explain several times about the truck,and the wire,but in true Dominican Macho Style he was not going to let me say a word.There was a Dominican man in my van with me,but he was black,and this rich white prick would never listen to him!I finally had enough,got out of my van and yelled at the bastard to get back inside his Phucking house before I beat the shit out of him,and that I was going to run my planta until he died of sleep deprivation!So "maybe",the noise does bother some people!My next door neighbor,who is a General in the "Policia National" said that it doesn't bother him.He also said that the guy doing the yelling IS a prick,and that if he ever yelled at me again,to let him know! I LIKE the GENERAL!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
"Oh!" I forgot,buy a diesel generator,they run forever,never break down, I think they are economical,and they piss off the neighbors who can't afford air-conditioners,and have to "try" to sleep,with their windows open!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
CCCCCCCCCCCCC;
You should live in Manzanillo!!!!!!!!!!
NO ONE complains about any kind of noise!!! They're too busy making noise themselves!!!
Between the LOUD music from the bars, the kids screaming their lungs out, and the parents screaming for their kids, one can hardly be in position to complain about another's noisemaking. Besides, I'm furnishing power to all my neighbors when the power is off!! And sometimes when it's ON, or I miss my guess.
Tell your macho neighbor to go take a flying one at a rolling donut and see how he likes the landing.
Texas Bill

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Noise is another thing that constantly tests my resolve to return to this paradise.

All noise is good noise. Presumably, rents and real estate near airports, freeways, motorcycle shops, cockfight pits, bars, etc. go for premium prices - if not, it's illogical because Dominicans definitely love noise.

If you choose an empty and quiet bar/restaurant to enter, the music is immediately turned on and cranked to max volume just for you, and nothing except leaving can persuade them otherwise.

Their sense of hearing is surely damaged at a very young age, probably while still in the womb. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to stand it.

lurker

See Ya!
Apr 24, 2003
anyone that has had to

rely on a generator would never recommend propane. conversion kits are not available for any gas genset that i would buy. diesels typically consume half the fuel of a gas genset so if propane is half the price of diesel at the pump it will cost the same in fuel per hour to operate. and they wont go the distance.
and there will need to be many repairs. diesels can be ducted to draw the heat out of a soundproof house. liquid cooled diesels will be much quieter than air cooled but i prefer the air cooled because they are even more troublefree.

anyone using propane refrigeration in the dr?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Our Turn

Guess it's our turn today Chris. No electrical problems while you were down and out. We've been down snce midnight, batteries just went so the generator's on now.

I like the idea of propane for refrigeration. We had a NG air conditioner at out home in the USA when we bought it in 1987. It had been neglected and was in poor shape, and when I saw it was tied to the NG I said WTF? And had it pulled for safety. Always wanted to see how weel that'd work though. If I just don't go with a big diesel, I would set up a solar system with LP for airconditioning.

Are those units (NG/LP air conditioners) available here?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There was a post here about 3 years ago about a propane "Frige"

They are FANTASTIC"! A friend has one in Mount Shasta Calif.It uses about 1 galon of propane per year.No moving parts.Only problem here might be corrosion due to condensation,and my Dominican extented family who can destroy virtually ANYTHING!!
CCCCCcccris Colon

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Interesting Stuff..

Just for you Xanadu ....

Quoted from Texas Bill's Post
take a flying one at a rolling donut

Looks like there are a few of us that read the same kind of books!

Quoted from Criss's Post
Dominican extented family who can destroy virtually ANYTHING!!

This must be a Dominican Trait - How do they manage to destroy as much as they do - the last 'casualty' here in my house is a fishing knife that just plumb broke off at the hilt - A Fishing Knife! I cannot break one of these if I had a sledgehammer. Needless to say, the guilty party is 'someone else'. Nobody knows who created this damage. I feel like putting plastic utensils into the kitchen. My steak knives are all dead! Used for I don't know what.

Quoted from Xanadu's Post
Guess it's our turn today Chris. No electrical problems while you were down and out. We've been down since midnight!!

Again listening to the mute roar of the generator today - we've also been down since midnight.

Propane Refrigeration

I looked around for a long time and eventually found a propane fridge in a store in Puerto Plata. They wanted US1,800 for it. A little smaller than a normal upright fridge - but at that price, I did not buy. This one was quite sophisticated - it has a sensor that switches over to propane when the electricity goes off.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I'd just leave it unplugged then if it uses that little. Like I said, I've seen the gas generators at PriceMart. But if I could find a gas air conditioner I'd be really tempted to buy one for the new office.

lurker

See Ya!
Apr 24, 2003
i use a propane fridge. cost about a grand as i remember. its 8 cu ft. freezer is 2 cu ft. will only do a spread in temp. for instance if its 90 the fridge is at 50 degrees.
if its 80 the fridge is at 40 degrees. relatively trouble free. the flue has to be cleaned every 3 months or so or the carbon monoxide will kill you as you sleep. happens occasionally. with all our cooking and the fridge a 100 lb bottle lasts about six weeks.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Lots of colmados in the campo have propane freezers, so they must hold up.

In fact, having a propane fridge in the DR is almost a nobrainer - if available. Almost anything else in the house can run off an inverter, or wait for the power to return. As for air-conditioning, what does one need that for in "paradise"?

A propane fridge dealership in the DR would seem to be a nice business, if only to sell to gringos. The price, only about double, is surprisingly affordable for the obvious value. Of course in the DR who knows what the price would balloon to.