High-Rises in Punta Cana

Should the construction of highrises be allowed in Punta Cana?

• Total voters

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Isn't that the truth. Everywhere you look there is new construction now. With lots of commercial space to keep up with residential growth.

If the growth in volume of traffic is anything to go by, there has been a big population increase in the last 10 years. We even get traffic jams now!

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
According to this report Mr orange hair Trump is involved with the issue of building high rises.....

"But the project has stirred up plenty of controversy on the island, due to a proposal requested by the Cap Cana Group—and supported by the Dominican government—to dramatically increase the long-standing height restrictions of buildings on the coast, from 4 stories to 22 stories. The higher height limit would be a big benefit for hoteliers, who could then pack more high-priced condos into them. For decades, the island has insisted that buildings in that area not exceed the height of the coconut trees, a regulation meant to preserve the natural beauty of the region.But the project has stirred up plenty of controversy on the island, due to a proposal requested by the Cap Cana Group—and supported by the Dominican government—to dramatically increase the long-standing height restrictions of buildings on the coast, from 4 stories to 22 stories. The higher height limit would be a big benefit for hoteliers, who could then pack more high-priced condos into them. For decades, the island has insisted that buildings in that area not exceed the height of the coconut trees, a regulation meant to preserve the natural beauty of the region."

https://www.fastcompany.com/4052642...-in-dominican-republic-roiling-local-politics

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It's the Trump family name only. Not a dime of Trump money.

It's most likely the same dealio from the February 2007 licensing agreement with the Cap Cana group.

Of course it is not his money. He only uses OPM.

And if they are using his name he is getting paid. And if he is paid he is involved...................

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Trump holdings operate in a blind trust sort of arrangement while he is President do they not?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Trump holdings operate in a blind trust sort of arrangement while he is President do they not?

No they are not.

Many U.S. presidents have placed their financial holdings in a blind trust that is managed by a trustee without any input from the president. This arrangement is believed to help the president avoid any conflicts of interest between his finances and issues that come across his desk.

U.S. President Donald Trump, however, has avoided calls for him to sell his assets or place them in a blind trust, according to a report in The New York Times. Trump has noted that presidents are not legally obliged to do so.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Of course it is not his money. He only uses OPM.

And if they are using his name he is getting paid. And if he is paid he is involved...................
HE is not being paid.

A corporation is being paid. Maybe.

According to the terms of the trust, Trump has very limited access to information from the trust. It is a revocable trust.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No they are not.

Many U.S. presidents have placed their financial holdings in a blind trust that is managed by a trustee without any input from the president. This arrangement is believed to help the president avoid any conflicts of interest between his finances and issues that come across his desk.

U.S. President Donald Trump, however, has avoided calls for him to sell his assets or place them in a blind trust, according to a report in The New York Times. Trump has noted that presidents are not legally obliged to do so.
You should cite your quotes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HE is not being paid.

According to the terms of the trust, Trump has very limited access to information from the trust. It is a revocable trust.

I guess he lets them use his name out of the goodness of his heart................................

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I'm all in favor of it for Punta Cana and Cap Cana. This area is already nothing like the rest of the DR so why not let them go all the way. Turn it into Miami Beach and leave the rest of the country like it is. That way we can keep all the damn tourists in one place and take their money more easily. I think it's great. Capitalism at it's finest....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I guess he lets them use his name out of the goodness of his heart................................
Read again:

The Eeeeevil CB said:
HE is not being paid.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm all in favor of it for Punta Cana and Cap Cana. This area is already nothing like the rest of the DR so why not let them go all the way. Turn it into Miami Beach and leave the rest of the country like it is. That way we can keep all the damn tourists in one place and take their money more easily. I think it's great. Capitalism at it's finest....
Problem is the rules have not been officially changed according to law.

I sense some Corrupt Back-Room Shenanigan Encounters of the Dominican Kind...

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Problem is the rules have not been officially changed according to law.

I sense some Corrupt Back-Room Shenanigan Encounters of the Dominican Kind...

Corrupt Back-Room Shenanigan Encounters here in the DR?? Tell me this isn't so.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

I also think it should be considered and keep it zoned. Maybe even just Cap Cana. Macao Beach would be a real shame though. But somebody mentioned it was at the Roko Ki site. There are only cliffs there and no beach really, as far as I remember, having seen it just once. Cap Cana is a big area. If they keep it some way behind the beach. 22 floors sounds like a lot though and there are many concerns. And I also agree with keeping the rest of the country like it is. They already build high rises though in SD on Av Anacaona and JD. No turning back there. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
22 floors

I'd be looking at Cdn Gringo's earthquake map before doing that.

Quite a lot shaking off that coast......

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Risks !

22 floors

I'd be looking at Cdn Gringo's earthquake map before doing that.

Quite a lot shaking off that coast......

The developers will do as they may. Avoid rule and regulation with a wink from the authorities. Investors, meaning those who will purchase or rent completed units within the towers will have to consider two hazard risks, earthquakes and fire. Will the towers have fire suppression systems and earthquake construction. Fire suppression is needed as the local fire departments do not have the equipment to address a high rise fire. Earthquake construction is a must due to the high incidence of quakes in the east of the country.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqu...ue,"list":true,"settings":true,"help":false}}

Suspect both risks will be dismissed by the developers.

Regards,

PJT