High-Rises in Punta Cana

Should the construction of highrises be allowed in Punta Cana?

• Total voters

davidmichaels

Nov 14, 2018
Its a matter of time that it will be permitted. But to be honest it won't be a good idea because the low rise building here can hardly tolerate the hurricanes, how much damage could we have with these Skyscrappers. And since there are power issues the passengers in lifts would face many problems.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Say Goodbye to Punta Cana

Remember the song "Big Yellow Taxi" ?

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/bavar...8Si-XhhZrpFJYxKFCB6mWwC93RxF2QPSxjUSFtbTLISMI

Well seems they have decided to turn Punta Cana and the East coast into a Miami South (without Cubans of course)

21-Story buildings can easily destroy what little is left of Punta Cana.

I remember almost 2 decades ago landing, descending down a ladder and walking across the tarmac to the palm covered airport followed by a 45-minute ride to Punta Cana in a free hotel shuttle with a complimentary big Presidente.

Back then the flight plus 5 days of AI from Puerto Rico was $385.
It had the feel of a quaint (but growing) Caribbean jewel.

Last year and it seems nothing good last forever. The beaches and water were covered in a foul seaweed and the building had overtaken almost every square foot of open space along the ocean.
Where will all the sewerage wind up ?

OK so this is 'progress' but someday those AI hotels might sit empty and in need of repair like Acupulco and Mazatlan.

I hope we don't see the skyline blocked by monster hotels.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
We were told they cannot build anything higher than the palm trees basically, in Las Terrenas. Not sure what the jurisdiction is for that law. Yeah....progress :0|

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Remember the song "Big Yellow Taxi" ?

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/bavar...8Si-XhhZrpFJYxKFCB6mWwC93RxF2QPSxjUSFtbTLISMI

Well seems they have decided to turn Punta Cana and the East coast into a Miami South (without Cubans of course)

21-Story buildings can easily destroy what little is left of Punta Cana.

I remember almost 2 decades ago landing, descending down a ladder and walking across the tarmac to the palm covered airport followed by a 45-minute ride to Punta Cana in a free hotel shuttle with a complimentary big Presidente.

Back then the flight plus 5 days of AI from Puerto Rico was $385.
It had the feel of a quaint (but growing) Caribbean jewel.

Last year and it seems nothing good last forever. The beaches and water were covered in a foul seaweed and the building had overtaken almost every square foot of open space along the ocean.
Where will all the sewerage wind up ?

OK so this is 'progress' but someday those AI hotels might sit empty and in need of repair like Acupulco and Mazatlan.

I hope we don't see the skyline blocked by monster hotels.

I remember it well. Flew into Punta Cana out of San Juan for the first time in 1990.

Sad. PC could end up looking like Cancun. Couldn't pay me to go there.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember it well. Flew into Punta Cana out of San Juan for the first time in 1990.

Sad. PC could end up looking like Cancun. Couldn't pay me to go there.

I remember in the early 70’s Punta Cana when you had to drive along a dirt road from Higuey through sugar cane and coconut trees to get to the beach. People there were shocked to see white people The beaches were full of large wild crabs and in the sea you would see turtles, dolphins, stingrays and abundance of wildlife. Where is all that now?

The government want to increase the number of visitors to 10 million with a big push to attract the Chinese market. Unless they enforse environmental conservation then they risk losing all.