So you guys think just give it up??

Chip, I do not want anything interpreted wrongly thanks

SHALENA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ah, OK, I was thinking about the south coast, where they mostly hang the clothes over front fences, over cactus fences, etc., right along the road.

You wouldn't believe the wide-eyed amazement when I brought down an old-fashioned American clothes line with the pulleys, dividers, etc. and attached one end to our raised patio and the other to a far away tree. Before that someone had strung metal wires from tree to tree in the front side yard.

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE..... respectfully....... ever see people walking w/ shirts or clothing.. " Property of San Diego Zoo" or something like that?

Might become a badge of honor to have a stamped sheets from the women's hospital on your fence.

You could be right.... was just a passing thought.....

Shalena, I wouldn't give up just yet. It's a great idea, give the readers time to bounce it around, maybe someone will have a workable solution.

AE

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Start an actual 501 (c)(3) charity and solicit used sheets from large US hotel chains. This seems to be off the ground with 1/2 used bars of soap. Perhaps it works with sheets??? They will be stolen, but at least it is a start.

Clean the World - Donate Soap and Shampoo

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So you guys think just give it up??

Chip, I do not want anything interpreted wrongly thanks

SHALENA

No, no.... no give up..... rethink...... we're all thinking here... just not fast enough.

Get a charity advisor.... spin - we need spin here !!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, I'm hyped. I'm gonna read up about starting a non-profit organization then I will go from there.
What is the proper Spanish way to say "Delivering with Dignity"
Is it "Dar la luz con dignidad"??
And of course I mean deliver as in a baby LOL

SHALENA

Thanks everybody....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, I'm hyped. I'm gonna read up about starting a non-profit organization then I will go from there.

SHALENA

Thanks everybody....

Does that mean you won't use the Domino's Pizza slogan ????..:ermm:

Adding something about 'still warm on arrival'.........:cheeky:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

SHALENA

Thanks everybody....

No, I believe the right translation would be "Un Parto con dignidad"

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK............ Mindset.........
this will be a disposable item... like toilet paper - use once, then throw away

You will need a steady supply.......... or just supply a few to whomever you have.

If you get more than one use from them - you're winning.

This is a project for a business school class....... watch them brainstorm this one, b/c its not that hard.

North Carolina has good schools............ they're everywhere... go to ethnicity if you'll think it will help (sorry)

This must be a universal problem........ not just RD.....proper birthing materials.

SK.......... THIS IS A GREAT IDEA... !!!!

It can be done. Your background/professionalism lends credibility to the process.

Keep on this........ and keep the faith .

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The disposal sheets are definitely an idea.

The other option is to check and see if Caritas or any other Christian organization has any type mission there at the hospital and then coordinate with them for the dispensing of sheets for those only in need.

I'm afraid any other donations will be commandeered as there will be little accountability. Keep in mind that by far the majority of the employees there are making less than US275 a month so good quality sheets would be very tempting.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Boo-yah!!! I have contacted a healthcare products company and they sell disposable sheets and pillows by the case but he will give me a quote tomorrow for making individual packs with 1 disposable fitted sheet, 1 disposable flat sheet, and 1 disposable pillow. If it is more, I can get them by the case and make the packages myself. I will call several other companies to get the best price and see if they will give discount since it is for charity.
Problem solved!! Almost!!

Now to raise the $$$$$!!

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do not forget the hotels..... how many sheets does Marriott throw out every day? and Holiday Inn?? ETC, ETC

This is a big deal..... everybody looks good.... WIN/WIN !!!

Disposable is good......

Business Schools..... again !!!

Fully written business plan.... Action Jackson !!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Used Sheets?

Have you thought about customs and Dr. Bautista Rojas G?mez.......?

donP

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Caritas is great! They took our donations of health care supplies for Haiti last year and we got a report when the items were delivered!

Good thinking everyone....keep the faith Shalena and I like your name for the charity.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How about this.
Since the hospital has social workers with little to do, really, how about suggesting that they set up a mother's group who
RENT out the sheets or even sell them to soon-to-be mothers. Enough to create a fund to buy more here and complete the cycle.
Some sort of grass-roots mother's operation, like a very small business.

The people would understand and there could be shoot-offs for other products the new moms need and the hospital cannot supply.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
How about this.
Since the hospital has social workers with little to do, really, how about suggesting that they set up a mother's group who
RENT out the sheets or even sell them to soon-to-be mothers. Enough to create a fund to buy more here and complete the cycle.
Some sort of grass-roots mother's operation, like a very small business.

The people would understand and there could be shoot-offs for other products the new moms need and the hospital cannot supply.

HB

Good idea.....

SHALENA