Hospital Cabral y Baez

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How about this.
Since the hospital has social workers with little to do, really, how about suggesting that they set up a mother's group who
RENT out the sheets or even sell them to soon-to-be mothers. Enough to create a fund to buy more here and complete the cycle.
Some sort of grass-roots mother's operation, like a very small business.

The people would understand and there could be shoot-offs for other products the new moms need and the hospital cannot supply.

HB

I thought about that scenario, biut based on your earlier post, I figured the world was too scewed to accept the rental concept.

Maybe............ I doubt it..... have a plan 'B'

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So I forgot to.call Chip's cu?ada. Will try to remember tomorrow.
Cannot hit my colleagues up for money just yet, one of our nurses just had her house burn down. They lost everything including 2 dogs and 2 cars. She, her husband, and kids just made it out. So everyone will be giving to her for a while.

Been watching YouTube videos of Hospital Cabral y Baez, or at least the ones I can stomach. Sad, sad, sad.

Anyway, I'm taking a vote if anyone cares. I have been researching for my Master's thesis "Implementations to reduce maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity in the Dominican Republic" but I am.also interested in 2 other topics. Which of the 3 sounds the most interesting. Or so they all sound like snoreville??
The other 2 are...
- The epidemic of adolescent pregnancy in the Dominican Republic
- Prevention of HIV transmission from mother to child in the Dominican Republic

Give me your vote!!

SHALENA

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'm wondering how a campaign on the importance of breast feeding would go over? Boggles my mind, unless it's changed, how proud the campesinos are of all those cans of leche. Any room in your research on breast feeding, and how that might improve health in the first year of life?

I really think your main topic is really important and relevant, don't know enough about the others to comment.

Very interested in reading your thesis once it's finished.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Why not set it up so the new mother can take the sheets home with her? If she's so poor that she can't bring sheets to the hospital i doubt she has any good sheets at home neither. Better she gets the sheets than some thief.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So I forgot to.call Chip's cu?ada. Will try to remember tomorrow.
Cannot hit my colleagues up for money just yet, one of our nurses just had her house burn down. They lost everything including 2 dogs and 2 cars. She, her husband, and kids just made it out. So everyone will be giving to her for a while.

Been watching YouTube videos of Hospital Cabral y Baez, or at least the ones I can stomach. Sad, sad, sad.

Anyway, I'm taking a vote if anyone cares. I have been researching for my Master's thesis "Implementations to reduce maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity in the Dominican Republic" but I am.also interested in 2 other topics. Which of the 3 sounds the most interesting. Or so they all sound like snoreville??
The other 2 are...
- The epidemic of adolescent pregnancy in the Dominican Republic
- Prevention of HIV transmission from mother to child in the Dominican Republic

Give me your vote!!

SHALENA

Before you decide on any topic I would check and see if there is any overlap with any existing programs. I feel Dominican doctors are aware of practices etc in foreign countries but the real limiting factor is the funds to carry programs through to be effective enough.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why not set it up so the new mother can take the sheets home with her? If she's so poor that she can't bring sheets to the hospital i doubt she has any good sheets at home neither. Better she gets the sheets than some thief.

What will happen is that all mothers will be taking home the sheets.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm wondering how a campaign on the importance of breast feeding would go over? Boggles my mind, unless it's changed, how proud the campesinos are of all those cans of leche. Any room in your research on breast feeding, and how that might improve health in the first year of life?

I really think your main topic is really important and relevant, don't know enough about the others to comment.

Of course! I will definitely be posting it here. It will be 3 years, as I am part-time and it will be for my last year. I have heard that there is big breastfeeding support and programs, at least in Santiago. But it would be nice to investigate why do many women continue to not breastfeed even knowing the benefits. Well, actually, we all know but it can be explained in greater depth.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Before you decide on any topic I would check and see if there is any overlap with any existing programs. I feel Dominican doctors are aware of practices etc in foreign countries but the real limiting factor is the funds to carry programs through to be effective enough.

I think that you are misunderstanding what a thesis is. I will not be starting any programs. I will research the problem primarily. Then I will researching the Dominican based programs that are already in place, researching American programs that are already in place in the DR, American programs that are in place in the US and then stating what seems to be working and what seeks to be not working and why. The thesis itself will not stand to change the system, it will only look at the problem, and its possible solutions.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am also interested in investigating why the DR refuses to utilize Midwives. They allow then on missions but not regularly working in the country.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Today's NYTimes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/health/09brody.html?ref=todayspaper

Might be of interest to you SK

There is also an article on midwifery......

Thanks! Both those articles were great!!
I will not be the "home birth" type of midwife. I think that if at all possible, babies should be born in a hospital, not to force medical interventions on the mother but to ensure access to emergency care if something should go wrong. And I have seen horrible things.
An OB told me when I was young and bright-eyed just starting L&D....."Every labor is a potential disaster"

I never forgot that.....

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Stupid DR.....A couple of Nurse Practitioners would do wonders here.....

The Dominican Republic has the largest number of HIV positive people in the Caribbean region. A very resource poor country, there are few initiatives to provide all the necessary support to those infected with HIV and AIDS or to prevent and test for the disease. In the case where antiretrovirals (ARVs) are available, there are often infrastructural problems that prevent these drugs from getting where they need to be – difficulty in transportation and continuity of medical supplies– and though ARVs are mostly sponsored by the Dominican government, such necessary medical needs such as blood transfusions, multivitamins and antibiotics are not.

Hospital Jos? Mar?a Cabral y B?ez is the largest hospital in the city of Santiago in the Dominican Republic, and serves as a teaching center for Santiago's three medical schools and residency programs. The hospital is the main HIV-AIDS referral center and receives most patients from the Province of Cibao and Province of Puerto Plata.

The HIV clinic there, named CEDI (Cl?nica de Enfermedades de Inmunolog?a), has just under 1,000 patients who they follow on a regular basis and about 200 people enrolled in the Dominican government's national treatment program. Some 800 HIV patients are not receiving the life-prolonging medications they need to survive. The clinic has no full-time staff other than a nurse, some volunteers and the head of the department of internal medicine who sees patients three days a week. Most of the services offered are outpatient and referral services, although patients have been admitted to the internal medicine floor of the hospital.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Got that off a a site for the HIV clinic at the hospital.....sorry, didn't research it

SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all due respect, "stupid DR" is really a slap in the face to the many hard working and knowledgeable health professionals like doctors and nurses. Apparently you aren't aware for how little they are paid to work long hours and have even less resources with which to do their job. The issue aren't the hard working health professionals but the politicians who don't allot them the funds they need to do their job better, plain and simple.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
With all due respect, "stupid DR" is really a slap in the face to the many hard working and knowledgeable health professionals like doctors and nurses. Apparently you aren't aware for how little they are paid to work long hours and have even less resources with which to do their job. The issue aren't the hard working health professionals but the politicians who don't allot them the funds they need to do their job better, plain and simple.

Thank you........next. I won't even start with you tonight Chip, I spent all f*cking day in Neurosurgery and I am tired. You knew what the hell I meant.

SHALENA

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank you........next. I won't even start with you tonight Chip, I spent all f*cking day in Neurosurgery and I am tired. You knew what the hell I meant.

SHALENA

If I did I wouldn't post what I did. Nonetheless I must be missing something so I'll leave this thread.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Shalena, the patients have to bring their own stuff. Sad, but true. If they dont?bring sheets, they don?t get sheets. Same with bed pads.
Hubs just had a student operated on for a BRAIN TUMOR and had to supply all of the surgery equipment (tubes for catheters, scalpels, everything). She couldn?t have the operation until they raised the funds to buy the equipment.
We take all of Samil and Ami?s old toys to childrens hospital and give them to the patients that are there long term, but we donated a case of crayons once and the next week they were gone.
Think about the used hospital sheets, that way it?s not big loss when they get taken home by the patients.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008

Liga de la Leche does breastfeeding campaigns ' but they are an organization aimed at wealthy women. It would be interesting to see how a campaign like that would go over in the public hospital. If you get something going, contact me, I am the number 1 breastfeeding supporter in the Dominican Republic. You can?t even imagine how many people were APPALLED that a ?rich american?breastfed her kids exclusively for 18 months.!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
PS, the peace corps does a lot of HIV prevention classes. And they train older teenagers to go into elementary schools to teach the sixth graders sex ed.

in september i?m starting a once a month class in el puerto de villa altagracia for pre'teen and early teen girls on sex ed and HIV-pregnancy prevention.