Hot Head Dominican stereotype...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I will tell you!!

toneloc24 said:
NY1 - Sheffield's another headcase, uh, story. I agree with you, but he hasn't been a problem in NY at all. Matter of fact, he's handled NYC and his role on the Yankees very well.
Miguel-

Call Sosa what you want. Excuse him all you want, but.... follow the common logic here. Make no mistakes or excuses.

- Rangers sign A-Rod for $252 million. A-Rod, leader of the Rangers

- Red Sox sign Manny for $180+ million. Manny, supposed to be the leader, but we all know differently. Insert Pedro & Schilling here as leaders.

- Yankees sign Jeter for $180+ million. Jeter, leader of the Yankees. Everyone on the Yankees, including ARod, acknowledges this.

- Bonds??? Not even sure what the Giants signed him for, but Bonds....leader.

- Sosa???? Not sure what Chicago signed him for, but at $18 million a year, they didn't sign him to be a just "part of the team."

By the way, no team really wants nor can afford Sammy and his contract. There is interest, but your bet would be foolish. Kansas City traded Carlos Beltran for prospects, because they couldn't sign him long-term. They're supposed to be the best bet for Sammy??? I think not.

There's also Baltimore and Colorado. Baltimore can't afford him, esp. with Tejada's contract. Colorado are only interested, but won't take on $43 million over the next 2 yrs for him. The Yankees can afford him, but don't want him. Talk about wearing out your welcome.
Sheffield has not been a problem because he is playing with the Yankees and the Yankees would never put up with anybody's bull crap!. The second that they can not control you, out you go (see Mondesi). You want to have a beard, long hair, yes one can but not with my beloved Yankees. The Yankees are on a league of their own. Period.

I believe that you are mistaking being "great" or "good" with being a leader. One thing is being a "team leader" and another thing is being a "team player". There are many "great" players that do not want to be labeled "leaders" for the simple reason that it's too much responsability and they know that the moment that the team is doing bad, they will be blamed and that will take it's toll on them in the long run. I would not want that responsability even if I was making $ 200 million a year.

We are going in circle here, I respect your opinions but I will also stick to mine. Signing off, Roger and Out!!.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
The only reason why this article struck a cord was due to his personel statements he made about the San Pedro de Marcoris thing, all the lies, he was going to help out the DR during Hurricane George, his poor grandma living in poverty, etc. I think that is what hurts most, he was built to be the Dominican knight in shining armour but he turned out to be false, from the lastest reports.
Game play is one thing but when you lie to people it another, especially on charity events. I heard from friends that he treats Dominicans bad? Anybody got experiences or stories, I dont believe em but that article made me believe there might be some truth to that.

Capo :bandit:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Capo-

Sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire. We've always heard these kinds of things about Sosa, but none of us cared to really believe it. But when facts and history are presented, some people see it as an attack campaign, others see it for what it is.

If anyone was to blatantly lie about charity, how deep is that person's character? The country needed him, and he said he would help. But when it came time to show and prove, nothing. His grandmother lives in a shack? I know there are two sides to every story, but it really seems like he let down his country and his family.

He leaves the final game 15 minutes after it started. He lied and said he was there until the 7th inning. Only when a video surfaces to disprove his statement, does he apologize. He lets down his team by quitting on them.

Sosa is nowhere near alone in this behavior in MLB. Check out the Sports Illustrated story on Gary Sheffield this week. Like him or not (I'm not really a fan of his, but respect how he plays the game), there are many interesting stories, maybe truths, about Barry Bonds in there. Very revealing stuff on how he treats common people, stuff that I actually believe. He is an asshole, always has been one. Sosa is not alone in that egotistical behavior. It's just that here on DR1, we tend to expect more from him.

capodominicano said:
The only reason why this article struck a cord was due to his personel statements he made about the San Pedro de Marcoris thing, all the lies, he was going to help out the DR during Hurricane George, his poor grandma living in poverty, etc. I think that is what hurts most, he was built to be the Dominican knight in shining armour but he turned out to be false, from the lastest reports.
Game play is one thing but when you lie to people it another, especially on charity events. I heard from friends that he treats Dominicans bad? Anybody got experiences or stories, I dont believe em but that article made me believe there might be some truth to that.

Capo :bandit:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Campo,

You are incorrect. After the Hurricane, Sosa said he would help as much he could, BUT that he wasn't a savior and that the government needed to step up to help more because he couldn't do it alone.

If you want I can find you his quote.

Just in case some forget, this is a quote from a taxi driver in San Pedro, after the hurricane had hit in 1998 and just before Sosa's arrival on the island for his hero's welcome parade:

"Sammy is not someone for what he gives anyway. He's someone we hold here inside for what he gives as pride."

I think that still holds true today for many Dominicans.

Guatiao

Mar 27, 2004
First of all it's Capo not Campo, I was born in Gazque.

I wont crucify Sosa, but when I was younger I use to hear stories of him, bad stories and I use to tell people that was BS, but now that I?m older I see him in a different light. The facts are there, actions speak louder than words.

On the quote I?m just going to say this. Dominicans are a people of false pride, meaning we celebrate victory but forget in 5 minutes. Dominicans in NYC had there windshields tagged in soap with Sosa numbers today nobody has it, remember Amelia Vega, her 15 minutes of fame are up. Felix Sanchez the same will happen. Dominicans are like that, if an athlete/celeb does something so great they can buy each other Presidentes they'll celebrate, but when the party is over, it's OVER.

Sadly his reign has come to an end and the love is gone in Chicago.

Capo

NY1 said:
Campo,

You are incorrect. After the Hurricane, Sosa said he would help as much he could, BUT that he wasn't a savior and that the government needed to step up to help more because he couldn't do it alone.

If you want I can find you his quote.

Just in case some forget, this is a quote from a taxi driver in San Pedro, after the hurricane had hit in 1998 and just before Sosa's arrival on the island for his hero's welcome parade:

"Sammy is not someone for what he gives anyway. He's someone we hold here inside for what he gives as pride."

I think that still holds true today for many Dominicans.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Capo,

See it depends on what level you elevate a public figure. Sosa is one of my favorite ballplayers, because he is Dominican. If he does something that warrants admonishing, then so be it. His walking out on his team, was one of the worst thing any athlete could do and his team and there was no excuse. Should that take away from what he has done for the team for the last 5+ years? It depends on the fan.

False pride? I vehemently disagree with this. All you have to do is go into the neighborhoods where lesser players such as Rafael Santana, Alfredo Griffin, Rafael Ramirez and see how these players are still looked up to by those in the community.
So you provide instances such as the 66 on the cars in NYC and so on. Ok then, I'll ask you are people in Atlanta fickle because they don't have 755 scribbled on their cars? Should people in NY tattoo 26 WC for the Yankees? What level of devotion is appropriate in your mind, that will show pride, rather than "false pride?" Speaking of Felix, there was a parade for him in NYC this weekend in Upper Manhattan. Should they hold one each year?

Sosa's reign may indeed be over, who knows. If the Cubs somehow can keep their pitching healthy and bounce back, all will be forgotten. Nothing cures problems more than winning. On the other hands, Sosa hit 35hr this year while missing 40+ games. If his reign is over, its only because the bar he set was so insanely high that its difficult to continue that pace for too long. I would say about 95% of the hitters in baseball would kill for 35hr in a full season, let alone an injury plagued one.

Guatiao

Mar 27, 2004
Im not going to disagree he had great numbers for all those games he has missed but he lied to the public on various things and thats why I feel sort of betrayed. He could have had the worst season but you don't walk out on your team or refuse to play (Carmelo Anthony) that's a rookie mistake and he did that. He should have followed through on his promises and charity events, that all I'm saying.

Hopefully he'll bounce back but I will not see him in the same light.

Capo

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I agree Capo, he did quit on his team. I, however feel, that the year's he's devoted to the team, give him an opportunity to at least make it up to the players and fans, on the field.

Will he be given a chance by the Cubs? That remains to be seen.

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Cubs

Well i've been a cub fan long before SOSA came to the team, before JORGE BELL AND HENRY RODRIGUEZ. I've been watching cubs baseball in DR since the put CABLE NACIONAL in my house in 1988. I dont know how many have followed the CUBS constatly since before and after SAMMY. Alot of people have jump to the cubs caravan after sammy's great season of 98 (understandable since dominicans support their players) but a lot of people like to talk about how the cubs are and are not when they dont follow the TEAM they only follow SOSA at bats.

It's very good to say when the CUBS go to the playoffs, Oh it's sammy's team and if it wasnt for SOSA the CUBS wouldn't be there but when they lose those same people say don't blame poor SOSA. So when they do good it's because of SOSA not the team but when they lose it's the TEAM not SOSA. How convinient. Let me say something about Mr. SOSA, whoever thinks he is a team player i will have to say it's a bit out of date, i've seen SOSA with the TYING RUN AT 3rd or the WINNING RUN at 3rd adn with no outs or one out and he STRIKES OUT because he was swinging for a HR instead of trying to bring that run in, so is that TEAM BASEBALL OR PERSONNAL STATS? ??? :tired:

Sammy is bien great for CHICAGO, marketing wise and the city, but in case nobody followed chicago before they used to sell out their games even when the TEMP was in the 30's, so pleased dont tell me chicago is selling out games only because of SOSA, when in the early 90s when the cubs didnt have any chances we had sell out crowds in the stadium. Chi -town is a great baseball city and although fans go to see sammy, he is not the only star in the team and he is not selling out the games.

He always thought that because of the STAR STATUS he could get away with stuff, did you guys forget the guy he used to have in the dogout to carry his stuff around, his bats and his bags and he was not part of the cubs and when the manager said somethign he got upset? Why? He was non baseball personnel so why should he be allowed only because he was SAMMY'S friend, and let's not forget when he had his agent making phone calls from the dogout during a live game. But it's like every job, if you do great and make money for the owners they will let things slide if you start giving attitud and sliding they will cut off your priviliges.

What he did leaving early was wrong, he thought since im sammy i can leave early. he got caught, then he lied about it and got caught again by SEC'S camaras. he has no excuse he left his teammates, his team and the organization that saw him grow as a player and thought he could get away with it.

Let me tell you something, SAMMY IS GREAT adn he still put up great numbers for someone who missed 40 games ( 30 days because he snezzed, wow) but if the CUBS can trade him the same thing that happened to TEXAS AND A-ROD will happen to CHICAGO they will get better without SAMMY.
they can use that money and get a closer and maybe they can win the close games and if we trade him to TEXAS maybe we can get CORDERO AND SORIANO (just a cubs fan hope). Who are dominicans by the way.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
El Maestro-

I agree with much that you said about Sammy. Gonna be an interesting off-season for Dominican stars, including Pedro. I sincerely doubt if Texas would trade a young player like Soriano for Sosa. Nice pipe dream, though!

Back on topic, did anyone see Julian Tavarez (Santiago, DR) lose his composure? After giving up the HR bomb to Carlos Beltran, he let his emotions get the best of him and threw a fastball over the head of the next batter, Jeff Bagwell. Then proceeded to act erratically, before closing out the inning. In the dugout, he then proceeded to really let loose. Stuff flying everywhere, bats slammed. All I could think of when I saw it, was this thread :laugh: . I just fell out laughing. It keeps happening!!!

On the other side of the coin was cool-*** David Ortiz. He seems like a good dude, and humble at that. He beat my Yankees, but respect is due. He's had a good series so far. He saved the Sox ***, once again. Cheers to him!!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The percentage of minor league players that are dominican is MUCH higher. I can see in 10 years most teams having 25% or more dominican players. Kids in the states rarely play ball any more. IN spring summer and early fall, when I was a kid, we played ball almost every day. If you only had 4 kids you played 2 on 2 and ran the bases backwards. You never see "pick up" games in the states any more, only little league etc. Dominican kids however are much different!

thick_neck said:
Well, I don't know much, but I do know this: 300 Dominicans in the MLB is quite an exaggeration, but more like 75-100, give or take a few call-ups.

-Joseito
50 percent of baseball is 95 percent mental

johny2001

May 24, 2006
BushBaby said:
I think your words under similar situation would be "Yeah, yeah .... whatever!!" - However, I can be a little more expressive & expansive than yourself! The fact that I am not from the US does not make my opinion void. The fact that I am not Dominican does not make my opinion void! I LIVE in the DR & have done for many years (check my records if you doubt that comment) & have watched the spectacle of 'Baseball' both here in the DR AND on several sports programmes from the US. Whereas I would not call myself an expert or 'fanatic' for the 'Game'??, I would state quite confidently that I know sufficient about the game to have an opinion!!

Your comment that you do not know what I am talking about does not indicate too high a level of general comprehension for it is most clear what I am talking about to most others who have contributed since my post. CERTAINLY the fact that YOU do not understand my comments does not in any way indicate that I do not know what I am talking about, this is a foolish supposition on your part!!! It is quite concelvable, even with my limited knowledge of the game, that because I have an open & inquisitive mind, my opinion might be more subjective & plausable than your own.

Was your comment "Now off with you" supposed to indicate scorn or a dismissal of me??? NOT something you should attempt to do with me 'Dear Boy'. Been here too long & am too long in the tooth to be "shoo'ed" off by a beginner to insults & jibes on a noticeboard!! I would gladly debate any reasoned & logical argument you can put before me, but perhaps we should continue your differences with me in another forum? HERE we need to keep it Domincan &/or subject related.

I say again - it is pressure within SPORT itself that causes aggression on the playing fields NOT a particular nationality. Dominican players are no worse than other Latin American, US, Italian, British, Australian or any other nationality - that is purely a suppostion on your part or a desire to inflame with incorrect or ill-considered statements. Grahame.

Actually, you want the intense and passionate commitment to the sport, you won't find it in the US; gotta take the bad with the good.