Hot water in the Kitchen

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
The one we have has no electrical hookup, battery start. Mr AE installed himself (both of them - one for two bathrooms, the other for kitchen sink and washing machine).

Mine too - just a plumbing hook-up.

The unit gets inserted in the hot water line.
Uses two DD batteries to spark ignition
Was a Spanish brand, I think

Works lke a dream.

I have one for the main bedroom, one for the kitchen
the two guest rooms share one.
Working for 9 yrs - sin problems, and one was used to start with!!

really no moving parts to wear out

Ahh that's what I'm talking about. Model/manufacture please?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ahh that's what I'm talking about. Model/manufacture please?

We're not there now, and can't remember the brands. When we were at Ferreteria Americana in SD (the big one on Kennedy) they had a large selection, and we did buy a Lorenzetti that was recommended by an employee. It's for a new bathroom, but we didn't install it yet.*

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RG
the models vary by gallons per minute of flow you need.

All hardware stores (bigger ones) carry them and will explain the benefits.
The price usually points you in the right direction.
I pick upper mid-range as a rule........

Some stores give 10% off for cash.... like the one in Cabarete, por exemplo..Linares

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a propane heater, on demand, located in the bathroom. Next to it is a CO2 alarm just in case.

Obviously this is being vented outside on an exterior wall, right? This vent should be located no closer than 3 feet from a opening (window). Gas fired tankless water heaters consume a lot of fresh air for combustion when they are in use. Bathrooms tend to be a smaller room and thus have less volume of air for the appliance to draw.

You can look up the calculation for the required amount of "combustion air" or "make up air" required for the safe operation of a gas appliance installed inside a house by inputting the BTU and the air volume available into the formula. Taking a long hot shower in a small room with the door and windows closed may result in incomplete combustion which is not good. It's also important to know at what concentration your CO detector (not CO2) goes off. Ongoing exposure to amounts of CO less than that required to sound your average detector can have a communalitive effect on your health.*

I'd recommend that you check to make sure that the amount of fresh air available to the appliance is sufficient or leave the door or a window open a few inches while the appliance is firing.*

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
We're not there now, and can't remember the brands. When we were at Ferreteria Americana in SD (the big one on Kennedy) they had a large selection, and we did buy a Lorenzetti that was recommended by an employee. It's for a new bathroom, but we didn't install it yet.*

I LOVE MY LORENZETTI! It runs on propane. It's a 750, installed on a wall in the kitchen and provides more than ample hot water for the kitchen and the shower. It changed my life.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A lot of responses about gas fired tankless heaters which I am assuming were installed in private homes. How does one go about installing one in a rented apartment in an apartment building? Cost of unit and install? Does it make sense just to get hot water in the kitchen?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bird, talk to your landlord...
split it, anything - if you WANT it.

Makes the greasy dishes easier !!

Yes, venting, so outside wall

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

It is NOT for me WW. If OP does not plan on staying at his current place long might be cheaper to hire a maid. LOL

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Now considering installing a gas line plus having to vent the unit would not an electrical tankless heater be cheaper to install? I doubt the increase in the electric bill would be that much since it would only be used a few minutes a day.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A lot of responses about gas fired tankless heaters which I am assuming were installed in private homes. How does one go about installing one in a rented apartment in an apartment building? Cost of unit and install? Does it make sense just to get hot water in the kitchen?

I live in a rental. I discussed it with my landlord, who can make a peso bleed and scream. I tried to get him to split it with me or to reduce my rent. In the end, it got a little too intense, so I said I was going to do it but if he wasn't going to help with it, I will take it with me when I leave. (I have no plans to leave.) Everybody was happy and the whole thing (price of the unit and installation) was under $10K. Money well spent, I say, as the Diva was NOT pleased with cold showers.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I live in a rental. I discussed it with my landlord, who can make a peso bleed and scream. I tried to get him to split it with me or to reduce my rent. In the end, it got a little too intense, so I said I was going to do it but if he wasn't going to help with it, I will take it with me when I leave. (I have no plans to leave.) Everybody was happy and the whole thing (price of the unit and installation) was under $10K. Money well spent, I say, as the Diva was NOT pleased with cold showers.

Oh i totally agree if you need the hot water to take a shower it was money well spent. I would just give it some serious thought if the heater was only being installed to have hot water in the kitchen sink as the OP wants.

I understand hot water for the kitchen sink is a plus. I just don't think the propane type of heater is the way to go. A propane heater would require tapping into the gas line for the stove, and making a hole in the building exterior wall to vent. An electric heater could be installed without anyone knowing a thing.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When all is said and done the best thing for the OP to do is pull the onsite maintenance man to the side and ask him what is involved with getting hot water in his kitchen sink.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ive tried electrical storage heaters, direct line heaters, and propane gas heaters. *I recently installed a solar heater with vacume pipes. *We have limiteless hot water mostly scalding at all time. Its the best. Maybe 2-3 days a year we will put on the backup heater on when its very cloudy. 2hrs sunlight heats it up. We wash our clothes, dishes and dishwasher all with hot water. *Maid even mops the floor with hot water. Other options are too expensive to run. * I figured after 4 years i get my money back and will then get free energy.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I understand hot water for the kitchen sink is a plus.

Even with putting bleach in the water, I just never felt as if the dishes were clean enough when washed in cold water. And if there is a correlation between the number of stomach events I had before I had hot water in the kitchen and the number now, I'd say the evidence is all right there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Even with putting bleach in the water, I just never felt as if the dishes were clean enough when washed in cold water. And if there is a correlation between the number of stomach events I had before I had hot water in the kitchen and the number now, I'd say the evidence is all right there.

I agree, but I come from a family where my mother washed everything in the hottest water, and then she put all the forks and spoons in a pot and boiled them a few minutes [pre dishwasher days].