Hot water in the Kitchen

May 29, 2006
our brand is rheem. connected to a 220 line. about 13,000 pesos.

My dad got reamed by his Rheem heater. They had some cheap 5? capacitor that had a high fail rate which ended up frying the master control. Took three months and several parts installed before they finally sent a new $1000 unit and it lasted under a year.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
My Gas Tankless water heaters has been working pretty good. Love having hot water in the kitchen. I have one issue, its hard trying to get the right temperature in the shower. I have the type of faucets with the one lever, you turn left or right to get cold or hot water. I'm wondering if I had the traditional two seperate handles would it work better?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My Gas Tankless water heaters has been working pretty good. Love having hot water in the kitchen. I have one issue, its hard trying to get the right temperature in the shower. I have the type of faucets with the one lever, you turn left or right to get cold or hot water. I'm wondering if I had the traditional two seperate handles would it work better?

It shouldn't matter. The one in our guest bathroom acts up, too hot sometimes and if you add cold it shuts off. I think it's the brand, we bought in USA. The one we bought in Santo Domingo for our bathroom works perfectly, it's a Lorenzetti 750. Has settings for winter and summer and you can adjust both amount of gas and temp right on it. 

The guest bath has separate hot and cold faucet handles, the one in our shower is single handle

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
It shouldn't matter. The one in our guest bathroom acts up, too hot sometimes and if you add cold it shuts off. I think it's the brand, we bought in USA. The one we bought in Santo Domingo for our bathroom works perfectly, it's a Lorenzetti 750. Has settings for winter and summer and you can adjust both amount of gas and temp right on it. 

The guest bath has separate hot and cold faucet handles, the one in our shower is single handle

I don't have the Lorenzetti, but I have the settings like you described. Maybe I will play around with that.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Our experience is clogged or cracked mixer valve due to lime buildup.Old school two faucet showers are better.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Yes of course though I have installed hundredths of the single mixer valve I always warned my clients against them.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since I moved in september we are having a  tankless gas heater as well. Excellent, compared to a solar heater, especially since I like my showers hot basically thoughout the year. I only have to teach the maids to not use the hot water faucet in the kitchen when they actually just need water, not necessarily hot water. 

The building where I live recently changed to 'gas comun' (but with a meter), so I am a bit worried how much my share of the bill will be when they fill up the tank again. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since I moved in september we are having a  tankless gas heater as well. Excellent, compared to a solar heater, especially since I like my showers hot basically thoughout the year. I only have to teach the maids to not use the hot water faucet in the kitchen when they actually just need water, not necessarily hot water. 

The building where I live recently changed to 'gas comun' (but with a meter), so I am a bit worried how much my share of the bill will be when they fill up the tank again. 

We have three tankless propane heaters, one for each bathroom and one that the kitchen sink and washing machine share.  They seem to use almost no propane, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.  

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

We've always had our own tanque, so not used to this concept, but I've heard of gas comun with a meter, so are you not able to check the readings yourself, to know how much you have consumed? I would be concerned as well if I had no idea what can happen when other people fill the tank...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We've always had our own tanque, so not used to this concept, but I've heard of gas comun with a meter, so are you not able to check the readings yourself, to know how much you have consumed? I would be concerned as well if I had no idea what can happen when other people fill the tank...

Yes , I can check the meter and it’s behind a lock for no one to tamper with it. However I don’t know how my consumption moneywise relates to the m3 mentioned on the meter, since we haven’t had the first bill.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we've had it for a while too and no problems. hot showers at this time of the year are dreamy :)

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Yes , I can check the meter and it’s behind a lock for no one to tamper with it. However I don’t know how my consumption moneywise relates to the m3 mentioned on the meter, since we haven’t had the first bill.

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Can anyone recommend someone to install the electrical system in Cabarete/Sosua? My latest tank has lasted less than 18 months and I'm tired of replacing them. Not sure how the system works but it sounds as though a lot of you have had good results. Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can anyone recommend someone to install the electrical system in Cabarete/Sosua? My latest tank has lasted less than 18 months and I'm tired of replacing them. Not sure how the system works but it sounds as though a lot of you have had good results. Thanks.

There is no electrical system with an on-demand propane water heater.  Water hose in, a water hose out, gas line in, a couple of D batteries for the ignition. Water pressure starts it up automatically 

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
No, I'm not looking for propane, I believe there is one that exists without the need for water tanks or propane, unless I've misunderstood. I'm told you need someone who understands plumbing and electricity to install it. I wondered if anyone could recommend someone who could work with that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No, I'm not looking for propane, I believe there is one that exists without the need for water tanks or propane, unless I've misunderstood. I'm told you need someone who understands plumbing and electricity to install it. I wondered if anyone could recommend someone who could work with that.

All the on demand heaters need gas, unless you mean one of those showerheads that some Ferreterias sell, those need electricity.  We tried one of the Lorenzetti ones years ago, lasted about 3 showers and then shorted out.  Plus I didnt like the electricity-water combo.  

Yes, you probably need a plumber to install one, not an electrician.  My husband installed all of ours himself, but he’s one of those guys who can do anything.  

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
All the on demand heaters need gas, unless you mean one of those showerheads that some Ferreterias sell, those need electricity.  We tried one of the Lorenzetti ones years ago, lasted about 3 showers and then shorted out.  Plus I didnt like the electricity-water combo.  

Yes, you probably need a plumber to install one, not an electrician.  My husband installed all of ours himself, but he’s one of those guys who can do anything.  

Not true, both apartments i had had electric 220volt on demand water heaters.