Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Blue Lagoon mini speed boat rentals, Bayahibe;

[video=youtube;rx_WMdHUZ5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_WMdHUZ5o[/video]

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
How is Bayahibe? Is it nice there? Is El Parque Nacional del Este worth it? Have they the government opened up a path to La Aleta (ancient Taino worshipping center in the park)? I have never been but I am curious about it!

My impression was that it was a village built by Italians who love to absolutely live close together. I do not know if I am expressing it correctly, but the Village seemed to be almost "walled" with building touching building and no open spaces. (I came to the Italian observation after seeing a few villa complexes in LT where the Italians would simply concrete over spaces that others would have planted.. maybe because Italy has long since lost its tree cover?) Anyway,, the little village is ok. swarmed with tour buses to go out to the Island. And the real beach is owned by the resort.. Dominicus, i think?, with a small public access, but even at the public beach, some one has built shelters under the trees and charges 100 pesos just to sit in the shade.

I do hear that the diving is great there but for me, that would be the only reason to go. But I did not explore around the area, which might also be worth it.

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
My impression was that it was a village built by Italians who love to absolutely live close together. I do not know if I am expressing it correctly, but the Village seemed to be almost "walled" with building touching building and no open spaces. (I came to the Italian observation after seeing a few villa complexes in LT where the Italians would simply concrete over spaces that others would have planted.. maybe because Italy has long since lost its tree cover?) Anyway,, the little village is ok. swarmed with tour buses to go out to the Island. And the real beach is owned by the resort.. Dominicus, i think?, with a small public access, but even at the public beach, some one has built shelters under the trees and charges 100 pesos just to sit in the shade.

I do hear that the diving is great there but for me, that would be the only reason to go. But I did not explore around the area, which might also be worth it.

When I first started to go Bayahibe/Dominicus I thought of the area as Bayahibe. Between Dominicus and Bayahibe as the crow flies would be a 5 minute flight. From Bayahibe you have to drive away from the water to get to the main road, so you can go east, then drive back towards the water to get to Dominicus.

For me the beach there is worth it, love the water there. Catalonia Gran Dominicus for around $60US per night, per person double occupancy room, off season is a very nice all inclusive hotel in Dominicus.

I have stayed at the Vecchia Casarma which is not on the water and driven from there to beach at Dominicus, very easy drive, either one exit on the new coral highway or take the old road and then a drive through like a forest.

There is a small beach in Bayahibe, east of captain kidd's restaurant, just about behind the open lot where some of the blue lagoon boats are kept on land.

Photo of the public beach at Dominicus.

25kk0bc.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Dominicus has a village part with private homes, shops, small condo buildings. This photo probably in that village part of Dominicus, direction of the sea would be behind me.

2dihz79.jpg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

in Dominicus the trees are on the other side of the walls ;)

Vacation Day 1 009.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Road from the new Coral Highway to Bayahibe and Dominicus (this road also branches onto the old road that runs parallel to the coral highway in this area).

2dcby9v.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Photo of the Coral Highway during construction, showing part of the Bayahibe exit and on ramps. Coral Highway is now complete and open.

9gbrqd.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
And in the evening one can walk 200 meters on the water :)
Bayahibe is a nice clean little town, but too many roosters for me to sleep well.

LOL.

When I was at the Vecchia Caserma Hotel, there was a woodpecker that would knock on the outside wall of the room (wooden building).