hotel bayahibe

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
the boat trip to isla sanoa was excellent...i hired a private boat ...it picked us up at the hotel at 9am and dropped back to hotel at 5pm
we were never rushed and the captain was very informative ging s details and explaining things....the piscina natural was aweome
it was definitely one of the best trips i have taken in the d.r.
and the boat was only $180 for the day ...and i tipped the captain seperately...well worth it
cadiques caribe was also an excllent place to stay

Jan 3, 2003
the boat trip to isla sanoa was excellent...i hired a private boat ...it picked us up at the hotel at 9am and dropped back to hotel at 5pm
we were never rushed and the captain was very informative ging s details and explaining things....the piscina natural was aweome
and the boat was only $180 for the day ...and i tipped the captain seperately...well worth it

Were you taken to the Taino caves? Did you see La Aleta? Were you taken to Parque Nacional del Este?

Is there anyone out there that can answer these questions?

Is there anyone out there? Pink Floyd music and lyrics playing in the background

Thanks to Mr. Jetson for sharing pictures of Bayahibe.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
When I first started to go Bayahibe/Dominicus I thought of the area as Bayahibe. Between Dominicus and Bayahibe as the crow flies would be a 5 minute flight. From Bayahibe you have to drive away from the water to get to the main road, so you can go east, then drive back towards the water to get to Dominicus.

For me the beach there is worth it, love the water there. Catalonia Gran Dominicus for around $60US per night, per person double occupancy room, off season is a very nice all inclusive hotel in Dominicus.

I have stayed at the Vecchia Casarma which is not on the water and driven from there to beach at Dominicus, very easy drive, either one exit on the new coral highway or take the old road and then a drive through like a forest.

There is a small beach in Bayahibe, east of captain kidd's restaurant, just about behind the open lot where some of the blue lagoon boats are kept on land.

Photo of the public beach at Dominicus.

25kk0bc.jpg

ok, you have sold me, i will try that resort. Is there are guagua from Santo Domingo? anyone know from where it leaves" (always such a mystery in Santo Domingo!)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
My impression was that it was a village built by Italians who love to absolutely live close together. I do not know if I am expressing it correctly, but the Village seemed to be almost "walled" with building touching building and no open spaces. (I came to the Italian observation after seeing a few villa complexes in LT where the Italians would simply concrete over spaces that others would have planted.. maybe because Italy has long since lost its tree cover?) Anyway,, the little village is ok. swarmed with tour buses to go out to the Island. And the real beach is owned by the resort.. Dominicus, i think?, with a small public access, but even at the public beach, some one has built shelters under the trees and charges 100 pesos just to sit in the shade.

I do hear that the diving is great there but for me, that would be the only reason to go. But I did not explore around the area, which might also be worth it.

"Village... Italians" describes Dominicus exactly. But, it was originally developed by an American. Wayne Fuller. And, yes they charge for chairs and sombrias at the public beach. 200 pesos for the chairs. 100 pesos for the sombria. Crowded beach on holiday days and Sundays. Other days not so bad. No reef. Shallow water a long ways out.

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
ok, you have sold me, i will try that resort. Is there are guagua from Santo Domingo? anyone know from where it leaves" (always such a mystery in Santo Domingo!)

Lots of guaguas as Annie mentioned alongside and near Park Enriquillo. If you know Zona Colonial, at Calle Duarte and El Conde walk north (you will pass the Palacio Hotel), eventually reach Chinatown, cross Avenida Mexico, walk up the hill and you will see the guaguas, there are guagua stations in that area (it will be a long walk, partly uphill if you start out at el conde and duarte). Lots of stores and an open air book fair alongside and near Park Enriquillo.

You'll probably want an express guagua from Santo Domingo to San Pedro de Macoris, cost is about 100 pesos one way. There is a guagua station in San Pedro de Macoris, just past the monument. From there, another express guagua to La Romana. In La Romana there is a guagua station just before the main traffic light. From La Romana to Bayahibe there will be guaguas. In Bayahibe you can hop on a moto for the short ride to the Catalonia Gran Dominicus or other hotel or lodging in Dominicus. Taxis there too.

Orbitz has a 20% off promo code now "BYEBYE20". I checked the Catalonia Gran Dominicus for October using that promo code, price for three nights for two people, room, all you can eat food and drink was $303US total.

The ride from Santo Domingo to San Pedro de Macoris is about an hour, after Boca Chica the highway is tranquil. From San Pedro de Macoris to La Romana about 45 minutes. La Romana to Bayahibe 20-25 minutes. Express guaguas are faster and don't make a bunch of stops.

Video of part of the highway between San Pedro de Macoris and Boca Chica, flat, straight, 4 lanes with a double guardrail separating the opposite lanes of traffic, sea views on part of the road:

[video=youtube;EAMuRSU6xDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMuRSU6xDo[/video]

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014

Would love to know the process about checking into Cadaques. Cadaques can be booked on Orbitz and other travel sites. Cadaques looks very nice. Thanks.

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Were you taken to the Taino caves? Did you see La Aleta? Were you taken to Parque Nacional del Este?

Is there anyone out there? Pink Floyd music and lyrics playing in the background

The road in Dominicus ends at the new Cadaques Development, with forest to the your left when driving towards cadaques. Part of that forest is national park del este. I saw horses outside the Catalonia Gran Dominicus with a Dominican cowboy one time. I didn't see any roads or trails into the forest in that area. Isla Saona is part of National Park del Este.

Between San Pedro de Macoris and La Romana, large sign for Cueve de las Maravillas, has pictographs from the pre Columbus, inhabitants of the island.

[video=youtube;9hDYkpQ2FhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hDYkpQ2FhM[/video]

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014

Set of caves in San Cristobal, with pictographs and carvings. San Cristobal is about 30 minutes west of Santo Domingo.

Las Cuevas del Pomier:

[video=youtube;5OtGiKTvs6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OtGiKTvs6A[/video]

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014

La Aleta, I will have to learn about, thanks for posting. Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd.

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014

I didn't know about the caves in National Park del Este. Thanks very much for the info. I will discover more about them on a future trip.

[video=youtube;FIX9AD7yxms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIX9AD7yxms[/video]

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014

Map of National Park del Este (East) showing location of caves and La Aleta.

24pe9zd.jpg

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Just noticed some of the photos I posted, don't show completely. I'll resize them in tinypic.

Last edited:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
You'll probably want an express guagua from Santo Domingo to San Pedro de Macoris, cost is about 100 pesos one way. There is a guagua station in San Pedro de Macoris, just past the monument. From there, another express guagua to La Romana.
Direct Express hourly from SD to La Romana. In La Romana you have to ask the busdriver to leave you near the departure of the guagua's for Bayahibe (near the Jumbo).

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Direct Express hourly from SD to La Romana. In La Romana you have to ask the busdriver to leave you near the departure of the guagua's for Bayahibe (near the Jumbo).

Direct Express near Park Enriquillo in Santo Domingo? Thanks.

j. jetson

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Road from the new Coral Highway to Bayahibe and Dominicus (this road also branches onto the old road that runs parallel to the coral highway in this area).

2dcby9v.jpg

Image resized. Or right click over a photo and then "view image" to see the full photo, on previous photos that I submitted, that weren't resized. (or turn off show image in settings, then the link for the photo in tinypic will show)

16k6n9t.jpg