how do they survive

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Absolutely agree sylindr. It is so nice to hear from someone that they are helping and doing something rather than reading "what someone shouldn't do" all the time.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Nice to hear that they are doing it the right way....

one on one.......one day at a time.

True that things bought in bulk get sold.
True that money sent (WU or moneygram) buys cloths,radios etc. other than necessities (Live for today for tomorrow we die!! attitude-who can blame them??)
True that old habits will NEVER be unlearned (hence the need for education of the young before habits take over)

ALso true that one person CAN make a difference.........

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
This thread dugs at my heart. I am on the Island frequently to train at one of the factories in the free zone. I am not a wealthy american by any means. The company I work for feeds there employees breakfast and lunch for a very small fee. They are very nice nutritional meals. I eat the same at the factory with them. I work with so many that have so little and some even ask for hand outs. I freely give chocolates which I bring down every trip. I have brought other gifts as well. Some ask for hand outs some spend what little they have buying me trinkets jewlery, hair bands, etc. I only wish I had enough to do for all and then where do you draw lines?? I get so frustrated that I cant do more. But at the same time understand that some will take and take even though someone else needs it more. I do the best I can and tip the hotel staff well and bring pounds of chocolates for the people that work for me. I really cant afford much more. But it still tugs at my heart.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
one on one.......one day at a time.

True that things bought in bulk get sold.
True that money sent (WU or moneygram) buys cloths,radios etc. other than necessities (Live for today for tomorrow we die!! attitude-who can blame them??)
True that old habits will NEVER be unlearned (hence the need for education of the young before habits take over)

ALso true that one person CAN make a difference.........

one of the things i have found works well is this: i go to the local goodwill store where they sell me bags of good used cloathes cheap. With american airlines i have 2 50 lb baggage allowances.

sometimes a ask for all childrens clothes, sometimes boys or mens and sometimes ladies.

i never bring anything myself as i leave all my clothes there. i get those nylyon bags that carry a lot and weigh nothing. before i go i weight my limit of clothes and take them there. Each person i meet i allow about 3-4 pc of clothes. if i see they have more in the family i allow more. it is a sight to see them going through all the piles of clothes and picking out what they want. at least this seems to me to be something that will not get sold and will be used.

my biggest thrill is to see them wear what they got from me, and sometimes even to see how they have altered the items and decorated some..

i wish the airlines would allow more for humanitarion purposes but so far i have not been able to get them too..

you are correct that one person can make a difference. together we can make a big difference.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I get so frustrated that I cant do more.

For those of us who live here fulltime in DR it is relatively easy - we know people who need help, we can do it personally & we can supervise outcomes. Like rio2003 does on her visits:
For that reason I buy the food daily and see that it gets cooked and eaten.

For those who don't live here - could I suggest looking into an organisation called Kiva which is about making micro loans for people to set up a small business. They have two partners in the DR, Esperanza International
Esperanza International - USA - Home
and Fundacion San Miguel Arcangel
Fundacion San Miguel Arcangel

These oganisations work on the principle of helping people to help themselves.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Great idea!

i go to the local goodwill store where they sell me bags of good used cloathes cheap. With american airlines i have 2 50 lb baggage allowances.

I do this also and gather from friends and family that have young children. 25lbs of clothes and 25 lbs of medical supplies for the local free rural clinic. A couple of Dr.'s give me 'samples' and a couple of nurses give me items that would be discarded from the emergency rooms they work at and the rest I buy (vitamins,bandages,polysporin etc.).

If the items don't fit the family they are given to, they 'trade' them with neighbours for items that do.

I always try to bring one blanket or flannel sheet for those cool winter nights where those living in wooden shacks freeze their butts off!;)

If we all try a little, we all do make a difference.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
it made me think of the previous visit i made to this home. when i got there the oldest daughter said her mother was in puerto plata with her son at the doctor. when they came back the boy looked very sick. i asked the problem and was told and they had two prescriptions. there was no pharmacy there to fill what was needed so the next day i took her to sousa to fill the orders.

I am a little confused about this statement and was wondering if the OP could explain this further. I am hoping I am wrong...

When you say she said there were no pharmacy to fill the prescription in Puerto Plata, did she mean that all the pharmacies in POP did not carry this type of medicine or that there were no pharmacies available in POP? I would find it hard to believe that, of all the pharmacies in POP, that not one single one would carry the medicine.

So I was wondering if it was because of lack of money she did not get the prescription filled,(which would be so tragic to not be able to treat her son) or because she knew you were there and would pay.

I may just be a little cynical ;), but that did raise a red flag to me. Like I stated, I am really, really hoping I am wrong!! Of course, it is wonderful that you are able to help out financially, especially in times of sickness, but I would be concerned if this becomes an ongoing process of helping out with all the family and their sicknesses.

Marlie

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
I am a little confused about this statement and was wondering if the OP could explain this further. I am hoping I am wrong...

When you say she said there were no pharmacy to fill the prescription in Puerto Plata, did she mean that all the pharmacies in POP did not carry this type of medicine or that there were no pharmacies available in POP? I would find it hard to believe that, of all the pharmacies in POP, that not one single one would carry the medicine.

So I was wondering if it was because of lack of money she did not get the prescription filled,(which would be so tragic to not be able to treat her son) or because she knew you were there and would pay.

I may just be a little cynical ;), but that did raise a red flag to me. Like I stated, I am really, really hoping I am wrong!! Of course, it is wonderful that you are able to help out financially, especially in times of sickness, but I would be concerned if this becomes an ongoing process of helping out with all the family and their sicknesses.

Marlie

marlie,,,excuse me not being more specific...what i tried to say is when they got back to la union from puerto plata, the pharmacies in la union did not have the medicines. those would have to be gotten in puerto plata or sousa
the lady did not even know i was coming to visit so it was not that she knew i would pay for it...but she did not have any money.

hope this explains but if not i will try to answer any questions

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you for clarifying - it was just that you seem to have a good heart and I wouldn't want someone like you to become a victim.;)

Marlie