How does Boca Chica Compare to the North Coast

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Compared to Sousa beach, how is Boca Chica? I heard the water is deep blue caribbean compared to the north coast? Is there any truth to that?

Boca Chica is a nice area but there are much nicer areas of the DR, if you want a change from the POP area. Samana, Punta Cana, Juan Dolio, etc. There are many nice areas of the DR with beaches and clubs. Also, there are beach areas on the north coast that could be considered more beautiful than playa Sosua or Puerto Plata. BC would not be my first choice, if you are looking for beautiful beaches. However, BC is nice, especially during low season.

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I'll be flying into SDQ on Aug 4th and will be looking to hang out on the south coast for a couple of days before driving over to PC. This thread has helped me narrow down my south coast activities to either BC or JD or Bayahibe. I've been to the DR many times in the past and this would not be my first time in BC but i am looking for new places(and chicas) to see along the south coast.

Would I enjoy JD or Bayahibe or LaRamona as much as I usually enjoy Sosua, Cabarete and PP? At least are there bars, restaraunts and nightlife? My other option was to go up to LT for a couple of days but I didn't want to then have to double back to get over to PC, any thoughts, thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am anxious to know about La Ramona, which I have never, ever heard of....

However, I thing one of the great places in the South in the Palenque area in San Cristobal province. It is not touristy and the beaches are beautiful...and it is not expensive at all. I do believe that there are several posts about it here..

HB

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I am anxious to know about La Ramona, which I have never, ever heard of....

However, I thing one of the great places in the South in the Palenque area in San Cristobal province. It is not touristy and the beaches are beautiful...and it is not expensive at all. I do believe that there are several posts about it here..

HB

I think I misspelled it-La Romana

Noballs

May 27, 2012
Hotel Zapata is on the beach and you can sit close to the Ocean and chat up the ladies if that is your thing.
Try to choose one of the long holiday weekends if possible.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Hotel Zapata is on the beach.
That is a pretty nice hotel. I also got some pretty good meals on the beach, if you like stuff like fresh fish and seafood pasta. We ordered a fish that was delicious and three pretty big guys couldn't even finish it. If you like crowds, Sunday is usually pretty crowded with locals at the beach. I preferred it during the week when it was more low key.

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
Go 15 miles east and ck. Out san pedro on fri. Sat. And sunday nite it is off the hook..i live one blk. From there..and i been to all of the island..i dont really like boca that much..but i like sitting on beach in juan dolio..i fond a little bar and spead a lot of afternoons there..

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
BC vrs NC
BC- flat, crime -ridden, dog ugly- like someone who tried to bite the lug nuts off a greyhound going 70mph
NC- lush green- hilly/mountainous, way less dangerous, less crowded and super beautiful, Just my opinion

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
frank,where exactly is this place?

It's on Ave San Rafael, just enter boca on the main right at the lights onto Ave Caracoles, head to the beach, before you get there, and where you turn left for Hamaca, you turn right onto San Rafael. Or take one of the earlier turn offs and head down past 2junctions, San Rafael is the third all the way, it runs parallel with the highway and so no difference where you come in.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I prefer Boca Chica over Juan Dolio. J.D. feels like a Punta Cana/ POP wanna be.

Boca used to be notorious...but it has really been cleaning up its act in the past few years...to the point...yes..it is even family friendly.

Perhaps not the "prettiest" beach in the carib...but i have been going there for years and know practicaly the entire town. It feels like home.

when at the beach you want to go all the way down to (i think) is the west side of the beach Just past the Don Juan. you want to sit at was once called Playa de Sol..they have a new name for it now..something de coco. Ask for WIlliam...and you will be set.

What i like about boca is that if you get bored after a few days...there are so many things you can do. Take a guagua to the capital for 70 pesos...or go the other direction and go to guyacannes or juan dolio, or playa caribe. Myself...i get all local and go to Andreas to Patio Allegre. P.A. is a small bar/disco in the campo. Basically someone hung a disco ball in someones back yard. Nice crowd...from kids to abuelas. BUt i would only go there if you have a really good dominican friend that you trust. l A BLAST!!! lol...my last time at Patio Alegre...our motoconcho ran out of gas...so we hitched a ride with a guy with a car..which broke down right in front of my hotel.

boca chica is an experience unto itself. I wouldnt call it "paradise" but it sure is a lot of fun.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
nice pics...but....you really hang out on the wrong side of the playa!!!! walk down a bit where it is nicer an quiter

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Playa Palenque is nice and during the week a bit more quiet. We went on the weekend and it was pretty packed. The beaches on the North Coast and of course Bavaro beaches are some of the best.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
If you go to the central park in Boca Chica you can take a bus (express or local) directly into the heart of the colonial zone (Parque Independencia) for about 60 pesos.