How does Boca Chica Compare to the North Coast

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Playa Palenque is nice and during the week a bit more quiet. We went on the weekend and it was pretty packed.

Playa Palenque is lovely and safe. You'll find lots of middle to upper class Dominicans there, and a bunch of Europeans who winter there. A rare American might wander in. It's quiet with good food and cold beers available. (We like Elidania's and Dona Mary's best - and Cheo's Empanadas are yummmmy - he's Dona Mary's son). Not a lot of annoying vendors.

Now if you're looking for scads of Dominicans, merengue and bachata blaring, few or no foreigners, then go to Playa Najayo. Coming from the capital it's the beach before Palenque. On the weekends Dominicans arrive by the busload to party, and they need people directing cars to park.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Consider Las Terrenas on the North Coast. Many people prefer it to Sosua. Anyway great beaches, shorter travel from South Coast, good excusrions, less hastle.

yapaski1

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i hate to show my ignorance but where is playa palenque?

West of Santo Domingo about 40-45 minutes is Playa Najayo, it used to be Trujillo's 'private beach', his house overlooks the beach. If you go straight on that same road about 10 more minutes you'll come to Playa Palenque.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
well frank, it cant be both on the main highway and in town on san refael. you and giveadog must be talking about 2 differant places.

It appears cocos dream village and boa chica dream village are different places. Are ther two dream villages in boca?
Contact Dreamvillage Resorts & Aparthotels and discover a new way of Caribbean vacation !

If it on the highway someone out go tell them there website is wrong.

I think the other one Frank is on about must be elsewhere, on the highway apparently, I dunno.
Although this one bosts beach view, which can not be on the highway http://dreamvillage.do/english/dv_boca_chica.htm. From the description of this one it sounds as though it isattached to the west side of the Hamaca.

Neither can be on the highway.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Things are starting to get a little confusing for me. From the link there are two different locations for Dreamvillage. Dreamvillage Coco is on San Rafael? Dreamvillage Boca Chica is on the beach? Now what Dreamvillage is on the highway just past Joker Hotel? Is the San Rafael address listed on the webpage just the office?

Now the Dreamvillage Boca Chica looks like one of the buildings beyond the fish shacks heading towards Andres.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think it could well be, the address is soooo secretive it could well be on the highway, only to get the directions once the unsuspecting have booked up. Check out the booking form for the booking and cancellation contract, I bet you can't cancel once payment has been made.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
so, is it before or after bani?

Wayyyy before Bani. You get there either through Haina or through San Cristobal. If you must come down the SD-Bani highway, it's easy to get lost. You have to go over the mountain through Duveaux, it's a tiny road through sugar cane fields just in front of the sugar mill, and VERY easy to miss. If you do go over the mountain through Duveax, the road ends at the road along the beach. You'd make a left to go to Playa Najayo, a right to go to Playa Palenque.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
well frank, it cant be both on the main highway and in town on san refael. you and giveadog must be talking about 2 differant places.

I think it could well be, the address is soooo secretive it could well be on the highway, only to get the directions once the unsuspecting have booked up. Check out the booking form for the booking and cancellation contract, I bet you can't cancel once payment has been made.

Mystery solved. Dreamvillage Cocos entrance is located on the main highway. When coming from the airport you drive past the first entrance for Boca Chica and a few hundred meters past the Joker Hotel is the entrance.

(pics from a couple days ago)

262quiu.jpg

20r79rd.jpg

Now Dreamvillage Boca Chica is indeed located several hundred meters past the fish shacks on the western end of Playa Boca Chica. Coming from the strip you would go up the hill where the fish shacks are and instead of making the right where Hotel El Caucho is you bear off to the left. A few hundred meters down on the ocean side is Dreamvillage Boca Chica.

be6a7r.jpg

I guess if you are staying long term and wanted to be away from Boca Chica central either place might not be bad for lodging.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ooohhh..these sound like new places to explore as i am usually on the south coast. And i get tired of the vendors and boogies in Boca. gracias!!! how much would a bus or guagua cost from Santo Domingo? and time to travel?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I like the VIDS, but why does the hotel seem deserted? I', also headed that way the end of the month, and one of my co-workers, who is from SD, says that BC is where the criminals come to do their dirty work, and recommends La Romana instead. What would be the average price of the two hotels you mentioned. I assume they are not A/I.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
One important question? If I do this hotel, would I have clean towels, AC, and hot water when needed.? Plan to be in San pedro at EOM.

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
Boca Chica has serious potential, and will be a fine destination with some capital investment. If Juan dolio is the "south beach of the Carribean" (ya right) BC is kind of the Tijuana of the Caribbean.

There are serious pollution issues in Boca Chica, namely with heavy metals industrial run off, untreated sewage, as well as other nasty industrial runoff. Always shower if you come into contact with the water here- it is very contaminated.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Boca Chica has serious potential, and will be a fine destination with some capital investment. If Juan dolio is the "south beach of the Carribean" (ya right) BC is kind of the Tijuana of the Caribbean.

There are serious pollution issues in Boca Chica, namely with heavy metals industrial run off, untreated sewage, as well as other nasty industrial runoff. Always shower if you come into contact with the water here- it is very contaminated.

Many people visit Las Terrenas on the North Coast - green flag beaches. About 3 hours ( by bus ) from Boca Chica or the capital. JetBlue direct service from NY this winter to local airport....

yapask1

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
The water at Boca Chica was very shallow when I went there. I was out over a hundred meters and up to my waist. In Sosua fifteen meters out was over my head.

Yes. And many people have said Boca Chica is dirty. I have been there many times and they always seem to clean up right before I get there. I love to eat the fish there, which is something I do every time I go. The one problem is that the vendors at Boca Chica are just a nightmare at times. It can get really bad with the vendors.