How gay friendly is Sosua?

believer

Oct 12, 2005
Thanks for your comments

hi folks no my friends have not made it here yet but thanks to all who replied. they are feeling encouraged!

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Sosua is know for its abundant prostitution, I don't think they will be a problem for your friends....lol...and assorted weirdo's, trannys. pimps, etc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Its known for its horse-shaped bay diving and snorkling ...I find that people like a bit of weirdness on holiday...its something to talk about if nothing else....and makes for some nice after dinner annecdotes

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Would I be okay in Sosua, wearing my usual outfit?

qq1ljk.jpg

jfb401.gif

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
nice try but I beleive the most gay looking one of the village people was actually straight lol

errr I meant horseshoe shaped by the way not horse shaped lol

Mar 2, 2008
I guess everyone sees what they want to see. While prostitution certainly exists, as it does everywhere, there is much more to Sosua than that.

Aside from the periodic episodes with rain, generally the weather is beautiful, the days are consistently long and invigorating, the sea breeze is refreshing, and the water is warm.

There are a variety of pastimes, including beach going, baseball appreciating, swimming, diving, snorkeling, sailing, fishing, people watching, restaurant going, beer drinking, and to simply enjoy living.

If all one sees in Sosua is the working girls than one's eyes aren't fully open. Sosua is a very interesting place inhabited by some very interesting people. There are things to look out for, as there are everywhere, and there are things you simply don't want to miss.

All in all, Sosua is a great place to live. That doesn't mean it is a perfect place, nor does it mean it is the right place for everyone. Moreover, some people would not be happy anywhere, and for them Sosua is just another place to be unhappy.

Some people love Sosua, some people do not, but the least anyone could say is that Sosua is absolutely unique.

Reactions: j&t's future

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I fancy a fag.

Get your minds out of the gutter. The italicized text, above, is just another way of saying: I want a cigarette.

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
No offence intended catcher, I have spent alot of time in the country, and I know Sosua pretty well, lets say not my favorite place, but then again either is Boca Chica. I was being over discriptive as the OP was worried about gays, and weather or not they would "fit in" lol
and yes, Sosua does have all the nice things you mention.

Mar 2, 2008
No offense taken, cigarjoe.

I just wanted to get my two cents in. I completely understand your point of view, and I have no problem with that. We just disagree on the bottom line. To me it's worth the compromise, at least for now.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
You missed an attraction

Hey catcherintherye,
You missed whale watching. I saw one in the bay today. At one point it was less than 200 yds off shore.
A truly stunning sight.
Sorry it's a bit off topic but I just couldn't resist.
Mack.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Hi everyone ...have a couple of gay friends coming down during the winter and they were wondering how gay friendly the place is.

I am a heterocynical female so don't even notice these things.
Feedback appreciated.

Why oh why do gay people have to ask if a place is "gay friendly"? Surely, you go on holiday, act normally and have a good time.
I never see gay people in Sosua jumping up and down saying "I'm gay, I'm gay" or bringing attention to themselves although there are a few know gay individuals who go amongst their business in a pleasant and orderly way. I am not aware of any bars in the town that cater specially for these people.

J&T

Mar 2, 2008
Mack,
You're right. My apologizes.

And that was a big one for me to to miss. It is a wonderful experience.

I'm glad you took the time to correct my mistake.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
"these people" ? gay friendly means people that dont look at you like something on the bottom of your shoe -someone that you wouldnt mind handing your hard earned money to - some people will always be seen as gay no matter how they act - so this is why they ask for gay friendly establishments- its not so long ago that you couldnt book into a double room. Let me know if you have any more questions - there are a lot of people jumping up and down here saying they are heterosexual - so its equal rights now

Reactions: FernieBee

tsg

Mar 25, 2007
All in all, Sosua is a great place to live. That doesn't mean it is a perfect place, nor does it mean it is the right place for everyone. Moreover, some people would not be happy anywhere, and for them Sosua is just another place to be unhappy.

Some people love Sosua, some people do not, but the least anyone could say is that Sosua is absolutely unique.

Thank you catcherintherye. This is exactely what I try to explain my friends back home when they ask me why I want to live in Sosua.

I hope you don't mind if I use your words to tell them.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Why oh why do gay people have to ask if a place is "gay friendly"?

Have you ever suffered discrimination as a heterosexual? I thought not. They have to ask because some countries are decidedly NOT friendly to gay people. In some countries or in certain locations in some countries they might be spat at, stoned even whipped & apart from those into a touch of SM :cheeky: most people don't like being treated in this way. If j & t are a male & female couple, how would it feel to have a load of people point fingers, snigger, tsk-tsk audibly, call out epithets just because you are walking down the street holding each other's hands? For a holiday, you'd tend to avoid a location like this, wouldn't you? Always try to put yourself in the other guys shoes.

In any event the OP in this thread described herself as a heterocynical female who tended not to notice gay friendliness, so the question was perfectly legit. She was asking on behalf of a couple of gay friends.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Why oh why do gay people have to ask if a place is "gay friendly"?

J&T

Because a lot of the Caribbean has a very poor record of being gay friendly. The Caribbean ranges from Puerto Rico which is extremely gay-friendly, to Cuba where it is grudgingly tolerated but somewhat repressed, to Jamaica, where they can put you in prison. The Cayman Islands, Bahamas, and Trinidad &Tobago also have poor records.