HOW IS SALCEDO ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I went there alone about 10 years ago. I was there for 3 nights. Explored the area on a motoconcho. Visited some nice humans in their homes where the only way in was motor access crossing a shallow river on foot. There was only 1 hotel in the town. I went to the Mirabal Museum, and the home of DeeDee to say hi to her. Then to the park and original home. I didn't go out at night so can't tell you about that. I had a nice time. Very small town type feel
Man, wasn't DeeDee a great person? I knew her too and would have loved to spend more time with her.

True story, I had a flat tire one day and she stopped to help me. That's how I met her.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I lived in Salcedo for 8 months. Great place to visit but hated being there. Actually lived across from the big black water tank on the road between Villa Tapia and Salcedo. It was a speedway with weekly deaths. I loved the address listed on my girls drivers license. Ave. Duartes/N Frente Al Tanque, LaSeyba, Salcedo. Only went to the city for household purchase. Villa Tapia for food and socializing. Home by 9 always. Drugs and guns plentiful. Best fruit anywhere.

Go back to Villa Tapia now and then to visit. Only because my girls family still lives there. Her brother who plays AA ball for the Mariners and grew up in VT refuses to visit because he would be a target cause they think he is rich. Your mileage may vary going there. IMHO there are so many places to visit in the RD that trump Salcedo. One of my favorite day trips was to Villa Trina located by going thru Moca. Big furniture making town.

Reactions: JD Jones

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I lived in Salcedo for 8 months. Great place to visit but hated being there. Actually lived across from the big black water tank on the road between Villa Tapia and Salcedo. It was a speedway with weekly deaths. I loved the address listed on my girls drivers license. Ave. Duartes/N Frente Al Tanque, LaSeyba, Salcedo. Only went to the city for household purchase. Villa Tapia for food and socializing. Home by 9 always. Drugs and guns plentiful. Best fruit anywhere.

Go back to Villa Tapia now and then to visit. Only because my girls family still lives there. Her brother who plays AA ball for the Mariners and grew up in VT refuses to visit because he would be a target cause they think he is rich. Your mileage may vary going there. IMHO there are so many places to visit in the RD that trump Salcedo. One of my favorite day trips was to Villa Trina located by going thru Moca. Big furniture making town.
DRUGS AND GUNS PLENTIFUL ? Wait a second you contradicting some of the other dr1ers opinion about SALCEDO being a safe town …. Which is it ? Is it safe OR NOT ?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
DRUGS AND GUNS PLENTIFUL ? Wait a second you contradicting some of the other dr1ers opinion about SALCEDO being a safe town …. Which is it ? Is it safe OR NOT ?
It "all" depends on who's on the next motorbike coming down the street. 🙏

Reactions: rey

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
As you can see I was always, and I mean always home by nine. The house I rented from the owners of the chicken hatchery ( living In the two beautiful houses with an awesome pool next to mine ) was a fortress. The trip report was very accurate and looks like she made it a point to be back at the hotel by dark and only wandered out very close to the hotel at night. Salcedo is a great day trip. Authentic as it comes. Very beautiful. But, there is a lot of dangerous activity going on at night. So if you are thinking of going and picking up chicks forget about it. That friendly moto driver during the day might be setting you up by night. Remember, nothing good happens after dark in the campo. I had a car. If broken down I only used 3 different moto driver. All considered family and I still didn’t trust them 100%.

On a side note. Last year about this time my girls 87 year old grandmother was beaten and raped by a drug crazed lunatic. I know it could happen anywhere but it happened in Villa Tapia. My girl was shot at her place of business in 2017 in Villa Tapia. That is why I got her out of dodge. Maranatha is safer at night IMHO than the Salcedo area. That is why in the trip report it was mentioned the streets in Salcedo were deserted at midnight.

Go and stay for a long weekend and get back to us. Be interested to see what a visitors view is compared to someone’s who lived there for 8 months ( which felt like 8 years ). We had two businesses in Villa Tapia. A used clothes shop and a small cafeteria. Both were profitable with the extremely low rents and the ability of me coming back to the states and shipping clothes back down. The Haitian from the batey were our biggest clothing customers. And the Dominicans coming back to visit family very generous in the cafeteria. But like I said it got to dangerous.

on a side note. My shipper from Lynn Massachusetts from Cesar Cargo Express told me she has a beautiful house in La Seyba about a half mile away. Has not been back and does not intend on returning Giving the house to family ( saw a foto and it is beautiful ). Maybe CC might have known them. As he came from the city of sin also.
Have a good day my fren’.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
As you can see I was always, and I mean always home by nine. The house I rented from the owners of the chicken hatchery ( living In the two beautiful houses with an awesome pool next to mine ) was a fortress. The trip report was very accurate and looks like she made it a point to be back at the hotel by dark and only wandered out very close to the hotel at night. Salcedo is a great day trip. Authentic as it comes. Very beautiful. But, there is a lot of dangerous activity going on at night. So if you are thinking of going and picking up chicks forget about it. That friendly moto driver during the day might be setting you up by night. Remember, nothing good happens after dark in the campo. I had a car. If broken down I only used 3 different moto driver. All considered family and I still didn’t trust them 100%.

On a side note. Last year about this time my girls 87 year old grandmother was beaten and raped by a drug crazed lunatic. I know it could happen anywhere but it happened in Villa Tapia. My girl was shot at her place of business in 2017 in Villa Tapia. That is why I got her out of dodge. Maranatha is safer at night IMHO than the Salcedo area. That is why in the trip report it was mentioned the streets in Salcedo were deserted at midnight.

Go and stay for a long weekend and get back to us. Be interested to see what a visitors view is compared to someone’s who lived there for 8 months ( which felt like 8 years ). We had two businesses in Villa Tapia. A used clothes shop and a small cafeteria. Both were profitable with the extremely low rents and the ability of me coming back to the states and shipping clothes back down. The Haitian from the batey were our biggest clothing customers. And the Dominicans coming back to visit family very generous in the cafeteria. But like I said it got to dangerous.

on a side note. My shipper from Lynn Massachusetts from Cesar Cargo Express told me she has a beautiful house in La Seyba about a half mile away. Has not been back and does not intend on returning Giving the house to family ( saw a foto and it is beautiful ). Maybe CC might have known them. As he came from the city of sin also.
Have a good day my fren’.
Wow , I went from dying to visit tenares to NOT even wanting to go near … I though it was Disneyland …. BUT how can you say that TENARES at nighttime its extremely dangerous when you and I quote “ALWAYS HOME BY 9:00pm” ?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Rey, there are many, many places that are fine during the day, but not so great at night. We live in a nice area in Santo Domingo, but I still would be cautious at night. I have been to Salcedo many times (spouse has some cousins there). It is not a bad place it is just IMO rather quiet. Go visit, then come back and give us your opinion.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Never mind. Just chimed in to say my truth. Have a great visit and report back please.

Reactions: rey