How many times? bachata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Music as anything artistic is subjective. I happen to be open minded about music and listen to anything from Tatico Enrique to Secreto el Biberon to K Paz de la sierra to Metallica to Didier Awadi and Fela Kuti (you guys can google them up)...but most people have a very narrow view of music and all they like is whatever they grew up with...so you may not like Bachata, but I (and about another 8-9 million other Dominicans) think is awesome music. It's not about how complex the cords are, but about its "soul" and how it connects with the average Dominican.

From my experience I would say - Of course I'm generalizing here - most white people do not enjoy music the same way we do. We feel it and live it...that's why we want to listen to it as loud as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten irritated because I'm trying to enjoy a loud, thumping jam and my white wife or some other white person wants to have a d@mm conversation in the middle of it or complain that "It's too loud..."

This BTW doesn't seem to apply to all Latins either. It seems it is more tied to our African roots (i.e. Mexicans can't dance for shyte just like white people and don't seem to enjoy music the way we do either)

Well.....not really.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LUID0jSh2Ic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Davy_Crockett

Jan 22, 2013
LOL ..... Bruce Cockburn....lol, Frucked-up name to have but I love it.. You could play that with 4 1000watts solo-barics woofers pointed at them, the wont get it but it will cancel out prince-royce....jjajajajajaj

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I thought Suarezn did say he was generalizing in his post ?
I did, but you know it's a lot easier to do some selective reading to have SOMETHING to say. You know the fact that his mother in-law doesn't like Bachata is really representative of Dominicans as a whole or that he knows a French Canadian woman whom according to Bob is a better dancer than any Dominicana is also representative of the typical French Canadian. BTW Bob how do you know these women you mention (The French Canadian and the Filipina) are really good dancers? I'm not doubting you because obviously good dancers can be found all over the world, but just because someone moves fast and can do some acrobatics or whatever doesn't mean you're a good dancer. Some of the best dancers I've seen are old Dominican guys who dance Son (Cuban influenced music) and this is not fast music, but there are many subtleties that the average person cannot perform or appreciate the complexity of the steps for instance. Just visit some bars who play this type of music in Borojol, DR if you wan to see some real dancing....finally I was talking about enjoying, "savoring", living Bachata and music in general...not just about dancing. You don't have to be the greatest dancer in the world to enjoy listening to music.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey apparently formatting is not working on this site anymore...I did put some spacing in between paragraphs on that post above.

Anyhow this is what I'm talking about. The typical Dominican (specially those of use away from our homeland) will get goose bumps watching some like this. Watch the guy on the Guira. How can you not if you have a pulse?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/61ptLvdjNLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6J1WK1UdCqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

May 12, 2005
there is no such thing as a bachata playlist. as i said before, there is only one bachata song. all the rest are the same song, but with VERY minor variations. it is the Dominican way. one guy makes a song, it becomes a hit, and everybody else copies it. so, the song you believe that you heard 7 years ago probably came out of the studios last week, but you cannot tell the difference, unless you play it on loop mode, and have a song from 7 years ago to compare it with. just listen to merengue. the same 5 chords, the same band composition, down to the same makes of instruments. sadly, the DR is not exactly a hotbed of musical creativity, despite the fact that Dominicans think foreign tourists come here for the great food, and the wonderful music..

I am not sure who is more disdainful of Dominicans. You or JMB?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I (and about another 8-9 million other Dominicans) think is awesome music. It's not about how complex the cords are, but about its "soul" and how it connects with the average Dominican.

It' more like 100 million. Just look at the Latin Grammies nominations for the last few years: basically Romeo and Prince Royce. Anywhere you go in latin america you listen to these two guys. And for the first time non-dominican or born dominican new yorkers are making bachata.

Yes, classic bachata is repetitive and kind of lacks imagination. But that's the case with folk music everywhere. Folk music is not made by studied musicians or poets. It is usually very basic music with very basic lyrics. Listen to Rancheras from Mexico or Vallenato from Colombia and even country music from the US and it's the same basic chords with very similar lyrics. From time to time, some skilled musicians and writers create some great folk music, like Carlos Vives's Vallenatos or JL Guerra's bachatas, and that sparks a revolution within the genre that changes things and allows for more creative stuff to be made by others. From the technical point of view Romeo and Prince Royce's music is well created and performed. You may not like the genre, but it's no longer the basic stuff by Anthony Santos or Joe Veras.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
For Givadogahome, and it's not bachata:

Givadogahome went to the cupboard
To get his dog a bone

When he bent over
Rover drove him
And showed him...
He had a bone of his own

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

actually, Frank, not liking a particular music genre has nothing to do with disdain. i happen to adore the salsa, and it has nothing to do with a love for Puerto Ricans. (actually, i do have a soft spot for them). i just see no creativity, whatsoever in bachata. i have , in my collection, several of the works of Juan Luis Guerra, for whom i have the highest respect as an artist extraordinaire. one of my favorite tenor sax players was the late, great Mario Rivera, who did some really good work with people like Tito Puente. i am a serious music aficionado, so sue me if i do not like limited musical styles, which leave little room for creativity. my good friend's son has a jazz combo, and i make the trip to listen to that group on every occasion i can

May 12, 2005
actually, Frank, not liking a particular music genre has nothing to do with disdain. i happen to adore the salsa, and it has nothing to do with a love for Puerto Ricans. (actually, i do have a soft spot for them). i just see no creativity, whatsoever in bachata. i have , in my collection, several of the works of Juan Luis Guerra, for whom i have the highest respect as an artist extraordinaire. one of my favorite tenor sax players was the late, great Mario Rivera, who did some really good work with people like Tito Puente. i am a serious music aficionado, so sue me if i do not like limited musical styles, which leave little room for creativity. my good friend's son has a jazz combo, and i make the trip to listen to that group on every occasion i can

I am talking in general terms. Not about music per se. I haven't seen many posts from you saying positive things about the country and it's culture. I am not the biggest bachata fan, although I do like JLG, Frank Reyes and a few other songs here and there.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Music as anything artistic is subjective. I happen to be open minded about music and listen to anything from Tatico Enrique to Secreto el Biberon to K Paz de la sierra to Metallica to Didier Awadi and Fela Kuti (you guys can google them up)...but most people have a very narrow view of music and all they like is whatever they grew up with...so you may not like Bachata, but I (and about another 8-9 million other Dominicans) think is awesome music. It's not about how complex the cords are, but about its "soul" and how it connects with the average Dominican.

From my experience I would say - Of course I'm generalizing here - most white people do not enjoy music the same way we do. We feel it and live it...that's why we want to listen to it as loud as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten irritated because I'm trying to enjoy a loud, thumping jam and my white wife or some other white person wants to have a d@mm conversation in the middle of it or complain that "It's too loud..."

This BTW doesn't seem to apply to all Latins either. It seems it is more tied to our African roots (i.e. Mexicans can't dance for shyte just like white people and don't seem to enjoy music the way we do either)

Hmmm, funny you like to feel the soul of the music, the heart of what it is all about. So why the distortion, you have no clue what a good sound is. To feel the soul of music it has to be played beautifully, not with soul intention of undoing the screws in the neighbours kitchen cabinet.
Loud music is preferential in rock or to loud audiences, not some closet homo with a widget up his jacksie telling us how much he misses the girl he will see in the morning. Creepy homo (no offence to homo's by the way, just the camp ones) weird bollox!

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Bachata and Merengue while annoyingly repetitive musically could be better if the production was improved - All treble No Bass

Juan Luis Guerra might be the best example of good production for Merengue

Bachata just all sounds bad to me but everyone is entitled to an opinion

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I did, but you know it's a lot easier to do some selective reading to have SOMETHING to say. You know the fact that his mother in-law doesn't like Bachata is really representative of Dominicans as a whole or that he knows a French Canadian woman whom according to Bob is a better dancer than any Dominicana is also representative of the typical French Canadian. BTW Bob how do you know these women you mention (The French Canadian and the Filipina) are really good dancers? I'm not doubting you because obviously good dancers can be found all over the world, but just because someone moves fast and can do some acrobatics or whatever doesn't mean you're a good dancer. Some of the best dancers I've seen are old Dominican guys who dance Son (Cuban influenced music) and this is not fast music, but there are many subtleties that the average person cannot perform or appreciate the complexity of the steps for instance. Just visit some bars who play this type of music in Borojol, DR if you wan to see some real dancing....finally I was talking about enjoying, "savoring", living Bachata and music in general...not just about dancing. You don't have to be the greatest dancer in the world to enjoy listening to music.

You need to take a trip to Montreal and you'll see and feel what I mean. I personally like some bachata, and can listen to the other Dominican music for 10 or 15 minutes before it becomes annoying. I enjoy watching good dancers no matter the music. My parents danced a lot of swing when they were young.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Actually, I come from salsa. And now, the music I listen to is 90% Bachata. Maybe Gdh has right, after this perfect music from Prince we need a change. Well, the Bachata has been good for it til now.
I myself have a mixed mind to the music in DR: I love bachata but for me merenque is the most boaring music. W'll see, for a couple of years ago I really thougt the same of Bachata :)

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

JMB by a mile. The gorgon at the very least live on this country and is willing to put up with our quirks. Plus, even if his criticism can be very harsh at times, the way he delivers it more than makes up for it.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Here are some samples of some true bachata:
Hi Redscot
Funny. For me the two first ones are traditional cuban music, the last one from Anthony basic Bachata.
Thanks for the samples :)
I heard it one more time. The first one ist cuban. The second one is a nice introduction to bachata and the third one ...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am talking in general terms. Not about music per se. I haven't seen many posts from you saying positive things about the country and it's culture. I am not the biggest bachata fan, although I do like JLG, Frank Reyes and a few other songs here and there.

i don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.